Roti2000

Default Word Processor?

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 pm

The Raspberry Pi FAQ page indicates that the Pi is capable to do word-processing.

Is there a stock word processor included in the Wheezy distro?

I installed Wheezy but couldn't find a word processor. I installed Abiword, but it is too sluggish to be of any use. OpenOffice and Libre Office aren't available for Wheezy.

Am I missing something? What are folks using for a word processor?

Max

Re: Default Word Processor?

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:12 pm

If you want something very basic (no formatting options other than bold and italic): try FocusWriter.

AndrewS

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Roti2000 wrote:I installed Wheezy but couldn't find a word processor. I installed Abiword, but it is too sluggish to be of any use. OpenOffice and Libre Office aren't available for Wheezy.
If/when OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice become available for RaspberryPi (I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time) they'll probably be much more sluggish than Abiword.
I haven't tried any word-processing on my Pi yet... ;)

Roti2000

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:03 pm

In case anyone else stumbles on this thread: Focuswriter functions perfectly.

Like Max said, it doesn't have a bunch of bells and whistles from a formatting standpoint, but it is responsive and quick and (important for me) can work with .odt docs.

Kword is also in the repository. It was a little less sluggish than Abiword, but I couldn't figure out how to resize the window.

I bought the Pi primarily to be my "writing computer"--quiet, unhooked to the distractions of internet.

With focuswriter installed, it will be perfect for my purposes.

theZacAttacks

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:51 pm

There are some word "processors" already installed. For example, vim, nano, emacs. If you really wanted to you could just echo the lines into a txt file. ;)

But if you wanted stylized writing then I would go with FocusWriter (it seems to be good)

fredjam

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:54 am

Various posters here talk about 'FocusWriter', 'Focuswriter' and 'focuswriter'. None of which is
very helpful when you are trying to install it. The correct name is 'focuswriter'. as in
'sudo apt-get install focuswriter'

AndrewS

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:20 am

fredjam wrote:Various posters here talk about 'FocusWriter', 'Focuswriter' and 'focuswriter'. None of which is
very helpful when you are trying to install it. The correct name is 'focuswriter'. as in
'sudo apt-get install focuswriter'
The name of the program is 'FocusWriter' http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/ but the name of the package (that apt-get expects) is 'focuswriter' http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/focuswriter (Debian package names are typically all lower-case). :geek:

pearsonl

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:16 pm

I know that this solution might not work for everyone. But I have been trying to get a word processor for raspbian and after some struggles I turn to the web browser... not for a web search but as a solution. I installed iceweasel and was able to google docs. The best part about this solution is I dont have to worry about all my space on my sd card being used up. I will admit it is slow but im willing to wait if it means a I can use a Raspberry Pi as a total solution.

Thank you

Tell me what you think!

Gert van Loo

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:05 pm

Just installed focuswriter.
And immediately after trying removed it again...
It took over my whole screen with no menus, help or anything visible but
a blinking cursor. and I had to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to get rid of it.

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Roti2000 wrote:
Is there a stock word processor included in the Wheezy distro?
Learn LaTeX, you can write that stuff with ed, vim or nano.

We don't need no stinking GUI.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gkreidl

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:34 pm

pearsonl wrote:I know that this solution might not work for everyone. But I have been trying to get a word processor for raspbian and after some struggles I turn to the web browser... not for a web search but as a solution. I installed iceweasel and was able to google docs. The best part about this solution is I dont have to worry about all my space on my sd card being used up. I will admit it is slow but im willing to wait if it means a I can use a Raspberry Pi as a total solution.

Thank you

Tell me what you think!
You might as well send your private documents directly to the NSA.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Richard-TX

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Try openoffice.

apt-get install openoffice
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:56 pm

isn't abiword the "default" text processor for the PI?

raspfly

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Gert van Loo wrote:Just installed focuswriter.
And immediately after trying removed it again...
It took over my whole screen with no menus, help or anything visible but
a blinking cursor. and I had to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to get rid of it.
focuswrite is always full screen and by default you do not see any menu. It is made that way for people who need to type a lot and so they can focus on their work (the old typewriter style) instead of getting distracted by the menus and icons. Some of its users love it for its simplicity but it might not be suitable for others. I have also tried Abiword on my old Pi Model B Ver 1 and it works fine, after taking some time to start.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:23 pm

so its "focus" is indeed really on writing text huh. :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-scree ... ng_program
how do you get to the menu's, there are bound to be, or does it completely rely on keyboard sequences you have to remember. (noo.... :( )

Sleep Mode zZ

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:10 pm

mahjongg wrote:so its "focus" is indeed really on writing text huh. :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-scree ... ng_program
how do you get to the menu's, there are bound to be, or does it completely rely on keyboard sequences you have to remember. (noo.... :( )
Move the mouse pointer to the upper screen edge to get the menus.

Also, the F11 key switches the full screen mode on and off.

Fidelius

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Richard-TX wrote:Try openoffice.

apt-get install openoffice
I did that, but then this Openoffice very much looked like Libreoffce, and IIRC it also said in its starting screen it was Libreoffice. :-)
Do I miss something?

I know that Libreoffice is a fork of Openoffice and that they have had the same source code.
But why does Debian & so Raspbian offer an Openoffice package when in-turn it's just Libreoffice?

P.S. By the way, I prefer the original Openoffice to Libreoffice, that's why I am asking. :-)

P.P.S. Is it possible in Libreoffice to have enabled the document's margin (the grey rectangle around your text), as is the case in Openoffice? In Libreoffice I only see it when I press that PI symbol (to see non-printable characters, too).

P.P.P.S. I think Openoffice Libreoffice runs nicely on the PI. You can well work with it. At first I was afraid it could be as slow aka unusable as Firefox/Thunderbird is, but it isn't. Why is Firefox/Thunderbird aka their Debian Ice-replacements so incredibly slow on the PI? Do they use much JavaSript internally? A pity, because this way we can't use Mozilla's Firefox SYNC on the PI.

Richard-TX

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:56 pm

Good questions. I have no idea.

As far as I am concerned, Java is a disease. Shutting off Java in Openoffice is a very good thing.

I am a vi sort of guy so I generally don't use word processors. I am happy when I can type up a document in a WP and have certain text centered. I am very happy if the WP produces reasonable HTML code. MS Word does not produce reasonable HTML code.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

Fidelius

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:41 pm

Richard-TX wrote:Shutting off Java in Openoffice is a very good thing.
Only one Openoffice module needs it: the Database aka sbase.
On the PI due to limited resources, many only install Openoffice's Writer and Calc (and Draw) module, and these modules don't need Java.

I'm very impressed to be able to use a "full blown" Office package like Openoffice/Libreoffice on a 30 € mini computer like the PI. The father of Openoffice aka Staroffice, we already used on the good old 8bit Amstrad CPC. But the latter was much more expensive than the PI, and the software was much more limited. Well, this little PI and its software is an amazing thing.

Grimmy

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Can you guys leave the commands to download some of these?

I'm seeing a dozen examples/suggestions but only two commands.
Life: the busy idleness.

Fidelius

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Grimmy wrote:Can you guys leave the commands to download some of these?

I'm seeing a dozen examples/suggestions but only two commands.
When I've been young and inexperienced (today I'm just inexperienced) I always could remember a thousand commands. These days I have to use GUI programs to let them remember all these. :-) So I use Debian's synaptic, the graphical apt-get... :
sudo apt-get install synaptic

Then start synaptic and type into the search field "openoffice" or "libreoffice" (or whatever) and select with the mouse all those hits which you would like to install. At the end press the green "Apply" button. That's it.

Ivan Tham

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:38 pm

You can download libreoffice by:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libreoffice

Return to “General discussion”