kusti8

Re: Raspberry Pi Foundation and Code Club merge

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Wow.

Congrats! :)
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

hippy

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:54 pm

Despite "its brand and approach will continue unchanged. It’s a proven model that works incredibly well and we don’t want to change it ... You will still use whatever hardware and software works best for your kids" I am sure some wags and/or conspiracy theorists will suggest it's more "embrace, extend and extinguish".

ame

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:01 pm

hippy wrote:Despite "its brand and approach will continue unchanged. It’s a proven model that works incredibly well and we don’t want to change it ... You will still use whatever hardware and software works best for your kids" I am sure some wags and/or conspiracy theorists will suggest it's more "embrace, extend and extinguish".
Why's that? Are they using Visual Basic?

eifion

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:55 pm

This is good news and I wonder if it means that there'll soon be a version of Scratch 2 that can be run on a Raspberry Pi. The first CodeClub course uses Scratch 2 and as it's Flash-based it can't be run on the Pi which is a shame.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:22 pm

eifion wrote:This is good news and I wonder if it means that there'll soon be a version of Scratch 2 that can be run on a Raspberry Pi. The first CodeClub course uses Scratch 2 and as it's Flash-based it can't be run on the Pi which is a shame.
Unfortunately, MIT made a colossal mistake when they chose flash for Scratch2 (Flash is deprecated, and no longer developed). How that impacts on it in the future I do not know. A lot of work has gone in the Scratch 1 on the Pi, its much much faster now, and very usable.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jamesh

Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:23 pm

hippy wrote:Despite "its brand and approach will continue unchanged. It’s a proven model that works incredibly well and we don’t want to change it ... You will still use whatever hardware and software works best for your kids" I am sure some wags and/or conspiracy theorists will suggest it's more "embrace, extend and extinguish".
But of course! I suspect Slashdot will be the first.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

r3d4

Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:51 am

hippy wrote: I am sure some wags and/or conspiracy theorists will suggest it's more "embrace, extend and extinguish".
I guess that "embrace, extend and extinguish" is some sort of reffrence to the "conspiracy theory" about the
collective failure to prepare young people for life and work in a world that is shaped by digital technologies.

I imagine this happened because every one was busy making so much money in the "Dot-com bubble"
ther was no time left to
advance the education of tha younger genaration , with the technologic information.

--
Don't throw away your old conspiracy theorys, send them to Mrs Ethel Brown at 5 Smith Road
And she will throw them away for you !

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:17 pm

r3d4 wrote: I guess that "embrace, extend and extinguish" is some sort of reffrence to the "conspiracy theory" about the
collective failure to prepare young people for life and work in a world that is shaped by digital technologies.

I imagine this happened because every one was busy making so much money in the "Dot-com bubble"
ther was no time left to
advance the education of tha younger genaration , with the technologic information.
I think the problem occurred when the focus of computing as taught in schools shifted to teaching pupils how to use popular Office applications instead of teaching anything about programming.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

kusti8

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:23 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
r3d4 wrote: I guess that "embrace, extend and extinguish" is some sort of reffrence to the "conspiracy theory" about the

ther was no time left to
I think the problem occurred when the focus of computing as taught in schools shifted to teaching pupils how to use popular Office applications instead of teaching anything about programming.
+100

This is exactly what happens in my school. They teach how to make presentations, which don't get me wrong can be useful, but they've done it every year. A minimal focus is put on coding, making it something small to do when you're done.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:25 pm

I took it as a reference to the observed (abusive) behavior of Microsoft.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:28 pm

BMS Doug wrote: I think the problem occurred when the focus of computing as taught in schools shifted to teaching pupils how to use popular Office applications instead of teaching anything about programming.
Can't say...when I was in school, high schools didn't have computers and they were just starting to show up in Junior Colleges in moderate numbers (i.e. 1 per college, the one near where I lived had an IBM 1440).

hippy

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:30 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:I took it as a reference to the observed (abusive) behavior of Microsoft.
Correct, that's how I meant it.

There will be some who see the Foundation taking over Code Club in the same light as Microsoft or other Big Corporation taking over some entity to gain more control in and over their field; to manipulate the playing field, with the intent to profit from that while disadvantaging other players.

In this instance, at the mild end of the conspiracy spectrum, could be a claim that the Foundation are only taking over Code Club to ensure focus is on using Pi computers and not anything else.

jamesh

Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:19 pm

hippy wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:I took it as a reference to the observed (abusive) behavior of Microsoft.

There will be some who see the Foundation taking over Code Club in the same light as Microsoft or other Big Corporation taking over some entity to gain more control in and over their field; to manipulate the playing field, with the intent to profit from that while disadvantaging other players.

In this instance, at the mild end of the conspiracy spectrum, could be a claim that the Foundation are only taking over Code Club to ensure focus is on using Pi computers and not anything else.
I think what you are describing is typical capitalistic business practice. Not a conspiracy as such, just a standard operating procedure.

In this particular case I suspect it won't matter that the post stating what has happened has specifically said it won;t mean Pi's only, people will pick and chose their quotes to get their usually erroneous point across.

hippy

Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:07 pm

jamesh wrote:I think what you are describing is typical capitalistic business practice. Not a conspiracy as such, just a standard operating procedure.
The conspiracy is in suggesting the Foundation are acting in pursuit of their own interests while pretending otherwise.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:01 am

hippy wrote:

If I were to speculate, it would be more along the lines of Code Club wanting to gain access to the sort of resources the RPF has, but in and of itself, and--because the Pi is the dominant board for enthusiasts at present--the RPFs knowledge and leverage with donors, potentially big donors. Kind of a "take us over....please!"

jamesh

Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:25 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
hippy wrote:

If I were to speculate, it would be more along the lines of Code Club wanting to gain access to the sort of resources the RPF has, but in and of itself, and--because the Pi is the dominant board for enthusiasts at present--the RPFs knowledge and leverage with donors, potentially big donors. Kind of a "take us over....please!"
They also put a hat load of cash in to education.

expandables

Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:52 pm

Where am located barely anyone is interested in coding, it would be great to have a code club all over the world.
:twisted:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:04 pm

expandables wrote:Where am located barely anyone is interested in coding, it would be great to have a code club all over the world.
So start one.

clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:07 am

expandables wrote:Where am located barely anyone is interested in coding, it would be great to have a code club all over the world.
Code Clubs are run by volunteers. See https://www.codeclub.org.uk/ or https://codeclubworld.org/ for details on how to get involved.

Return to “General discussion”