HEIMDAL13

Jessie wpa_gui command not found

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi, I installed the new version of raspbian and haven't found a way to properly configure my wifi. In previous versions there was a very useful tool called wpa_gui, but it seems it has been removed. How can I configure my wifi now? (with some advanced parameters, not just the password).

JimmyN

Re: Jessie wpa_gui command not found

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:13 pm

It's on the taskbar, right side. You'll see the little network icon. Right click on it and select "WiFi Networks Settings. Or you can edit "/etc/dhcpcd.conf" directly if you prefer the "edit it myself" method.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:29 pm

HEIMDAL13 wrote:Hi, I installed the new version of raspbian and haven't found a way to properly configure my wifi. In previous versions there was a very useful tool called wpa_gui, but it seems it has been removed. How can I configure my wifi now? (with some advanced parameters, not just the password).
The "new look" Desktop was launched last May

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... ace-update

If you prefer to use the original wpa_gui application, it is still installed – just type:

Code: Select all

wpa_gui
in a terminal window to open it.[/i]
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

HEIMDAL13

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:04 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
HEIMDAL13 wrote:Hi, I installed the new version of raspbian and haven't found a way to properly configure my wifi. In previous versions there was a very useful tool called wpa_gui, but it seems it has been removed. How can I configure my wifi now? (with some advanced parameters, not just the password).
The "new look" Desktop was launched last May

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... ace-update

If you prefer to use the original wpa_gui application, it is still installed – just type:

Code: Select all

wpa_gui
in a terminal window to open it.[/i]
The original wpa_gui cannot be opened with the wpa_gui command, the terminal says command not found...

I know I can still edit it directly modifying the proper files, but it's not practical when you have to change the network frequently.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:28 pm

HEIMDAL13 wrote: The original wpa_gui cannot be opened with the wpa_gui command, the terminal says command not found...

I know I can still edit it directly modifying the proper files, but it's not practical when you have to change the network frequently.
You have Raspbian Jessie installed ??

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=122448
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

HEIMDAL13

Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:01 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
HEIMDAL13 wrote: The original wpa_gui cannot be opened with the wpa_gui command, the terminal says command not found...

Yes, I installed Raspbian Jessie. Unfortunately the thread you posted still don't have a solution.

disorientedp

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:23 pm

HEIMDAL13 wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

Yes, I installed Raspbian Jessie. Unfortunately the thread you posted still don't have a solution.
Simply click on the network icon on the toolbar. If you have the proper drivers for your Wi-Fi adapter, you should see available networks.

electronicman

Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Just updated Jessie and like the above I have no wifi.
David

MrEngman

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:31 pm

Looks like network connectivity has been changed again. I upgraded today, 23rd, as well and /etc/network/interfaces has changed from what I'm used to.

Select the network icon and LEFT click. Hopefully you will see a list of wifi networks. Select the one you want to connect to and you should get a dialog asking for the password (PSK). Input the password and then the wifi should connect.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

electronicman

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:52 pm

MrEngman wrote:Looks like network connectivity has been changed again. I upgraded today, 23rd, as well and /etc/network/interfaces has changed from what I'm used to.

Select the network icon and LEFT click. Hopefully you will see a list of wifi networks. Select the one you want to connect to and you should get a dialog asking for the password (PSK). Input the password and then the wifi should connect.

MrEngman
Unfortunately the network icon does not show any wifi networks, the only thing that shows is the LAN which I do not use. I must say though that the network icon is wonderful when it works, much easier than the old GUI.
David

W. H. Heydt

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:07 am

electronicman wrote:I must say though that the network icon is wonderful when it works, much easier than the old GUI.
I wouldn't go that far...I rather liked wicd when I was using it.

MrEngman

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:29 am

electronicman wrote:
MrEngman wrote:Looks like network connectivity has been changed again. I upgraded today, 23rd, as well and /etc/network/interfaces has changed from what I'm used to.

MrEngman
Unfortunately the network icon does not show any wifi networks, the only thing that shows is the LAN which I do not use. I must say though that the network icon is wonderful when it works, much easier than the old GUI.
Take a look at this post viewtopic.php?p=833150#p833150 Seems like there's a problem with the latest update.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

dgordon42

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:38 am

@electronicman,

I had the same problem, after updating Jessie my WiFi stopped working (Edimax 7811).
The update comes with a new /etc/network/interfaces file, which replaces the existing one, which is renamed to
interfaces.dpkg-old.

I restored my old file (which was unmodified from a clean Jessie install), rebooted, and my Wifi is back.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

uberknot

Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:46 pm

I experienced the same issues described in this thread. I have a work around that seems to be working well for me.

My wifi dongle worked fine with raspbian wheezy. It also worked when I first started a newly installed Jessie image. However, upon reboot, I experienced the same issues described in this thread. Note: I did perform update and upgrade commands before rebooting, so it could be related to those commands breaking something.

After typing "sudo ifup wlan0" from the command prompt, the wifi starts working until a reboot. To keep from having to type this upon each reboot, I inserted that command in /etc/rc.local just before the line containing exit 0. Wifi now working after each reboot.

Hope this helps.

I'm just a noob. If someone has a more elegant solution, please post. Thanks.

electronicman

Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks for the info. I just tried "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" and lo and behold the wifi started up straight away.
I see that there is a new update/upgrade which I just installed, and upon reboot all is well again
David

piyushramuka

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:07 pm

"sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" works great from command line. Can this be used within python application to allow users to connect to Wifi? If so, I will really appreciate any guidance. I am trying to provide a WiFi settings icon from my python app.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:28 am

piyushramuka wrote:"sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" works great from command line. Can this be used within python application to allow users to connect to Wifi? If so, I will really appreciate any guidance. I am trying to provide a WiFi settings icon from my python app.
Off-topic here - better off keeping to your other thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=174435&p=1113734#p1113734
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Return to “General discussion”