wwwgizy

Osmc vs openelec

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:53 am

Osmc vs openelec which is better and more stable? and with osmc whats the diffence
thank you

ame

Re: Osmc vs openelec

Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:21 am

Try them both (it's easy) and choose the one you like best.

Tom_A

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:17 am

wwwgizy wrote:Osmc vs openelec which is better and more stable? and with osmc whats the diffence
thank you
I actually prefer Raspbian with Kodi installed over both of those. It's a more difficult set up process, but you get complete functionality of the Raspberry Pi with fewer issues.

Openelec - Easiest to set up but very locked down. You want to use your Raspberry Pi for anything else, you'll need another chip or at least a dual boot install using noobs possibly. You will have to reboot to switch between the two.

Raspbmc - I used this for a long time and you can install extras like cups if you want a print server as well. I had cups, OpenVPN, a web server, and Motion all installed. The problem I had was that Raspbmc does not have as reliable an update system. Frequently after updates, I would have to go through a sometimes complicated restore process to fix things.

At one time, there was a noticeable performance difference between Openelec, Raspbmc, and Kodi installed on Raspbian. I don't find this to be true anymore with the latest updates. It's especially nothing to worry about if using a Raspberry Pi 2. You do need to set up wireless connections in either the Raspbian GUI or from terminal and due to recent issues with wireless, I switched my Raspberry Pi's to use NetworkManager for this instead of the default that comes with Raspbian.

ric96

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:40 am

Tom_A wrote:
wwwgizy wrote:Osmc vs openelec which is better and more stable? and with osmc whats the diffence
thank you
I actually prefer Raspbian with Kodi installed over both of those. It's a more difficult set up process, but you get complete functionality of the Raspberry Pi with fewer issues.

Openelec - Easiest to set up but very locked down. You want to use your Raspberry Pi for anything else, you'll need another chip or at least a dual boot install using noobs possibly. You will have to reboot to switch between the two.

Raspbmc - I used this for a long time and you can install extras like cups if you want a print server as well. I had cups, OpenVPN, a web server, and Motion all installed. The problem I had was that Raspbmc does not have as reliable an update system. Frequently after updates, I would have to go through a sometimes complicated restore process to fix things.

At one time, there was a noticeable performance difference between Openelec, Raspbmc, and Kodi installed on Raspbian. I don't find this to be true anymore with the latest updates. It's especially nothing to worry about if using a Raspberry Pi 2. You do need to set up wireless connections in either the Raspbian GUI or from terminal and due to recent issues with wireless, I switched my Raspberry Pi's to use NetworkManager for this instead of the default that comes with Raspbian.
+1
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

sam nazarko

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:37 pm

Raspbmc and OSMC are completely different systems, and we redesigned the update system from scratch to ensure it is much more reliable now.

Sam

wwwgizy

Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:31 pm

Tom_A wrote:
thank you

When you say raspbian with Kodi installed do you mean debian wheezy?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:01 pm

wwwgizy wrote: When you say raspbian with Kodi installed do you mean debian wheezy?
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=109088
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “General discussion”