Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Raspberry Pi Logo in Vector Format?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:52 pm

I was surprised to discover that there don't appear to be any published versions available for download of the current official Foundation-approved Raspberry Pi logo in a vector or other scale-independent format (e.g., PDF/EPS/SVG/DXF/DWG/etc.) that can be printed at any size with no jaggies.

Is this intentional for copyright control and, if so, can we obtain a file directly via e-mail attachment for use in our Raspberry Jam locally-printed materials, with the understanding that it can't be further distributed (e.g., can't be posted to the Web)? This would also be used to produce our Jam banner (the logo alone will be about a square meter).

Thanks!
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

bwoodbury

Re: Raspberry Pi Logo in Vector Format?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:00 pm

That's from last October, so it's not the current version, although I could edit the color to be correct and add the TM symbol. I have a Jam to run and a lot of code to sling during the next nine hours (including driving an hour-and-a-half), so, if someone else could do the mods, I would greatly appreciate it. Converting it to PDF would be nice, too, as I don't routinely edit SVGs, although I could find and download one of the programs that can handle it, if need be.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

bwoodbury

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:22 pm

Is this one more current. It has the TM symbol

http://miklavcic.si/raspberry-pi-with-f ... d-raspbmc/

Oops - looks like a PNG file so not vector

Jim Manley

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:26 pm

bwoodbury wrote:Oops - looks like a PNG file so not vector
I did both RaspberryPi.org and Google Images searches, and nada, nothing, none, zip, zero, zilch ... :D

Jim Manley

Raspberry Pi Logo in Vector Format!

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:51 pm

So, if you want something done around here, ya gotta do it yerself!
Heeeeeere's Berry!

http://everreal.zxq.net/Raspberry_Pi_Logo_TM1.svg

Note that when I checked out the file in Chrome, the TM inside the circle doesn't show up, even though it looks perfectly fine in Inkscape (which I've always found to be a PITA - it doesn't follow the long-accepted user interface behaviors of any mainstream graphics program). I made sure it wasn't a fill/outline color issue, not a layers issue, not a transparency/opacity issue, etc. Maybe someone who's an expert with SVG can figure it out.

Anyway, it now has the correct Official New and Improved Foundation Raspberry color.

Enjoy!

AndrewS

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:40 pm

The TM doesn't show up in Firefox or IE9 either - and in GIMP the TM just shows up as a large black square.
I think the last time I was exporting an SVG containing text from Inkscape, I had the most success with the "convert to curves" option...

Jim Manley

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:44 am

AndrewS wrote:The TM doesn't show up in Firefox or IE9 either - and in GIMP the TM just shows up as a large black square.
I think the last time I was exporting an SVG containing text from Inkscape, I had the most success with the "convert to curves" option...
Yeah, why would anyone want to display a graphic in anything other than Inkscape? :roll:

I can't seem to find the "convert to curves" option in Preferences or any other menu/dialog. I can see how that would work, I just can't figure out how to make it work, but, that's not unusual when programmers don't do what software engineers experienced with user interface design would. :x In the meantime, I'll keep looking ...

EDIT: Ahhh-HA! "convert to curves" is the Illustrator/Corel Draw terminology. In Inkscape, it's Path menu -> Object to Path (Shift-Ctrl-C). Thanks for the hint!

Updated SVG file at the same URL:

http://everreal.zxq.net/Raspberry_Pi_Logo_TM1.svg

Is there a RaspberryPi.org repository where we can upload things like this? I realize that's probably a stupid question, but, it's late after an exhausting weekend. Thank goodness for weekdays so that we can recover from our weekends ... :lol:

AndrewS

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Glad to see you "fixed it". Looks fine in Firefox now :)
Jim Manley wrote:Is there a RaspberryPi.org repository where we can upload things like this? I realize that's probably a stupid question, but, it's late after an exhausting weekend.
Best place to put it for now would probably be to upload / link it to the wiki somewhere?

Jim Manley

Raspberry Pi Logo in Vector Format!

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:45 am

AndrewS wrote:Best place to put it for now would probably be to upload / link it to the wiki somewhere?
Of course! What the Hell is wrong with me ... whoa! Whoa!! WHOA!!! At least let me catch all of those nice, ripe, free tomatoes in a bucket! How did you know Italian was my favorite kind of food (well, after Raspberry Pi and a certain kind of liver and fava beans, with a nice Chianti! :D )?

Then again, in my defense, there is no obvious place for artwork on the wiki, so, I'll probably put it on the RPi_Hub main page under the spinning 3-D raspberry animated GIF, as well as create a new artwork page where I'll copy everything decent I've found on Google Images so it's all in one sock (the official logos, various take-offs on the logo like the Happy Pi, board drawings, schematics, large-scale board photos, maybe the case drawings, etc.).

AndrewS

Re: Raspberry Pi Logo in Vector Format!

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:57 am

Jim Manley wrote:as well as create a new artwork page where I'll copy everything decent I've found on Google Images so it's all in one sock (the official logos, various take-offs on the logo like the Happy Pi, board drawings, schematics, large-scale board photos, maybe the case drawings, etc.).
Nice :) Maybe include a link to the original logo competition thread too, which I just managed to find again? http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... f=63&t=329

avdezign

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:26 pm

Are there specific PMS (Pantone) numbers for the green and red of the logo?

Jim Manley

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:05 am

avdezign wrote:Are there specific PMS (Pantone) numbers for the green and red of the logo?
To quote the Trix cereal rabbit, "Raspberry Red, Lemon Yellow, and Orange Orange" ... is that useful? ;)

Or, pick one of these actual Pantone color numbers from this site:

http://www.netfront.fr/Services/rgb2pan ... &g=38&b=79

Of course, it depends on what the image is printed on as much as the ink mix itself.

Return to “General discussion”