princeshoko

Re: Give one to be able to Buy one?

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:37 am

Ive been following progress since first announcement. I make $7.70 an hour and work 3 hours a week, and have done so since the first of the year since i got laid off. %19 unemployment in my city. Jobs are very hard to coem by So buying a Pi is more then a weeks pay for me and I have been saving to buy one when they come out.

But if i have to give the cost of one to get one You can count me out right this moment with the intent of not buying one at all. You might as well just make it a $50 unit not $25. It would be the same thing.

~Shoko

Beakster

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:57 am

From what I\'ve read they may apply the buy one give one scheme to the first 10,000 units, but that\'s not yet confirmed. Even if they do, it just means you need to wait a few more weeks until the first 10,000 are sold, then you can buy one.

princeshoko

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:06 am

Sorry I would not buy one on that case, ever. I would not even accept one as a gift. It rubs me the wrong way to make that a rule instead of an option. Yea i know why they want to do it. Let people decide fro them selves if they want to donate extra. Im sure tons and tons of people would but there are those who wouldn\'t and/or can\'t.

mengel

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:06 am

I\'ve got to say, that\'s a bit of a problem for me too. Not as hard up as Shoko, but doubling the price is a big deal for me . And I really hate to wait for the second batch (tho as fast as they will prob go I might anyway)--mike

erest

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:02 am

I do like the idea of give one to buy one as an option, not a mandatory application. By doubling the price it throws the raspberry out of my budget until the next batch. I love what they are doing, making a great peace of hardware for a charitable cause, and they will not only get my business but my donation a little bit farther down the line. But I do not like them forcing it down us at the moment.

abishur

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:19 am

The answer is two fold. First, there\'s been some talk about the first couple weeks being a buy one give one, not the first 10K or anything like that, just the first couple weeks. From what they\'ve said they\'re considering this both as a means to prevent a gold rush scenario when the pi is first released and it\'s just a good way for a charity to start out, ya know?

Secondly, the buy one give one will be an option. They\'ve already said this repeatedly in the forum, and it\'s 10th question on the FAQ page, so RTM guys :P

Thread closed ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

portets

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:20 am

this would hurt my budget as well, and i\'m very eager to start playing with one.

idea: the first 2500 could be buy one give one. that way the second half of batch 1 would be available for everyone else with stricter budgets.

edit- oops, too late :)

Return to “General discussion”