scidata

Curved Screens ?

Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:03 pm

Any ideas on how one might assemble & drive multiple monitors of the new curved screen type? Multiple pi's are not a problem. Would be nice to construct a 180º (or 360º) (or even semi-spherical) display for things like Minecraft, Stellarium, etc
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is" - Isaac Asimov

BMS Doug

Re: Curved Screens ?

Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:06 pm

scidata wrote:Any ideas on how one might assemble & drive multiple monitors of the new curved screen type? Multiple pi's are not a problem. Would be nice to construct a 180º (or 360º) (or even semi-spherical) display for things like Minecraft, Stellarium, etc
I'd suggest a PiWall you will need X+1 Raspberry Pi's (where X == number of screens).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:58 pm

The Pi (or any computer) won't be aware that monitors are curved rather than flat any more than a computer--back in the heyday of CRT monitors--could "see" the difference between a convex curved glass monitor or a flat glass one.

scidata

Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:45 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:The Pi (or any computer) won't be aware that monitors are curved rather than flat any more than a computer--back in the heyday of CRT monitors--could "see" the difference between a convex curved glass monitor or a flat glass one.

Of course you're right, but these curved screens would be perfect for panoramic perspective, esp if they have narrow edges. At best laptops can drive 1 or 2 monitors, so a bank of pi's would be more cost effective.
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is" - Isaac Asimov

jbowler

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:41 am

BMS Doug wrote:I'd suggest a PiWall you will need X+1 Raspberry Pi's (where X == number of screens).
Neat. I hadn't seen a display made up of non-identical tiles before, but then I'm not keeping up with this stuff.

John Bowler

Return to “General discussion”