linusmiranda

Home Automation

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:33 pm

I am working on my home automation project.

I have brought a RPi model A+, 8 channel relay board and a DS1302 Real Time Clock Module. I want to use the RPi and RTC as an timer to control the relay module. ''ON''-''OFF'' each relay at different set time. Similar to the house timer with a single switch but in this case I want to control multiple relays or switches.

1 - How do I connect my RPi to the home network, PC and internet. since I have just 1 usb port to connect.
2 - How do I connect the RTC to my RPi
3 - How do I program the RPi using python.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Home Automation

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Some answers here, other may have other options :
1 - How do I connect my RPi to the home network, PC and internet. since I have just 1 usb port to connect.
By using a USB WIFI dongle
2 - How do I connect the RTC to my RPi
Use the instructions that came with it. You did some research before you purchased, right? If not there are plenty of instructions in this forum, or google.
3 - How do I program the RPi using python.
A good start would be the python sub-forum here :
viewforum.php?f=32

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

linusmiranda

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:14 pm

1 - I am using D-Link model DWA-123. I tried to connect but it shows me not connected. Can you guide me what command should type.
2 - When I received the RTC I didn't get any manual. I brought the model because there were many example on you-tube showing how to set it with Arduino not with RPi. I just want to know what command should I type to set the time and Date.

MattHawkinsUK

Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Did you use the Wifi configuration utility within Raspbian to set the Wifi password? If not try this WiFi configuration tutorial.

I had real trouble with my RTC module (a DS1307). In the end I went for a DS3231 and that was much easier. You are best looking for a Raspberry Pi specific tutorial where someone is using a module that looks the same as yours.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

TGD

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:34 am

Return to “General discussion”