adlambert

Re: Raspbian is finally, formally here!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:28 pm

Much better in many ways, however the Midori browser seems as bad as ever, in startup and operation.
The other browser that has appeared though, is much faster in startup and for browsing.
Noticed the music player is gone.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:51 pm

guidol wrote: Raspbian/wheezy has done some tweaks about the firmware/kernel/applications. Is it a bas idea to use rpi-update on Raspbian wheezy? Is there any chance that rpi-update do corrupt Raspbian wheezy?

In the faulty state my Raspberry does only lit up with the red power-led and the green HDD/SDHC-Led was blinking.

Did any one else run into this issue?
rpi-update will be fine in general. There does seem to be an occasional issue with FAT corruption when updating files on that partition. What SD card do you have?

chelys

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:58 pm

I've just updated my 2 raspberrys via rpi-update.... Same problem of guidol: red led on while the green led is blinking.
I've done the update several times in the past. I'm using the latest raspbian image from hexxeh (v3). SDHCs are two Samsung Class 10 8gb.
Any idea? Any chance to recover the data?
Thx

allthingspi

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:41 pm

+1
rpi-update caused my Pi to stop working. For me it was due to a corrupt start.elf file on the boot partition

How I fixed it (I used a win 7 machine I am sure you can modify the instructions to suit your os):
I popped the SD card in my PC, right clicked the SD card drive -> properties -> Tools tab.
Click "Check now", leave "Automatically fix file system errors" checked and click start.

Once finished I used ext2read (make sure you run it as administrator!) to copy (the app calls it 'save') start.elf from the boot.bak folder of my SD card into the boot partition of my SD card.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/

I then popped the SD card back into my Pi and it booted :-D

@chelys
If you just want to get the data off - ext2read will let you do that also

Steve
Last edited by allthingspi on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allthingspi

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:47 pm

.....oh and according to http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=11807 it is no longer necessary to use rpi-update.

Steve

Lob0426

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 am

I had a similar issue after running rpi-update. My SD card was corrupted. I think they have moved the updates into the wheezy/raspbian repositories so it comes with apt-get update. We might want to hold off using rpi-update until we find out for sure. I do remember something being mentioned about not needing rpi-update anymore. But I cannot find a reference to it now. So I could be wrong.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

portets

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:27 am

Lob0426 wrote: I do remember something being mentioned about not needing rpi-update anymore. But I cannot find a reference to it now..
Same here.

Lob0426

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:33 am

allthingspi wrote:.....oh and according to http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=11807 it is no longer necessary to use rpi-update.

Steve
Thanks for the link.

ren41

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:08 am

allthingspi wrote:.....oh and according to http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=11807 it is no longer necessary to use rpi-update.

Steve
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=100 page 5, asb says its OK to use rpi-update and after he updates this weekend you can use apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

I did use rpi-update straight after installing Raspbian, and haven't had any problems, perhaps I was lucky!

ren

chelys

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:34 am

Thank you for the information. I made some checks and I believe that something was wrong with the rpi-update repository (2 rasps fu...ed at the same time). In addition my boot partition was corrupted.
I formatted the boot partition from my linux pc and copied the boot.bak files. Rasp successfully restarted.
I tried to perform the apt-get update and dist-update (as suggested) but the firmware files were not modified (with the old firmware I've a lot of problems with SD and WiFi).

I've started again the rpi-updated and finally I've restored the latest files. Everything restarted to work.
Thank you for support.

Lob0426

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:39 pm

ren41 wrote:

Steve
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=100 page 5, asb says its OK to use rpi-update and after he updates this weekend you can use apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

I did use rpi-update straight after installing Raspbian, and haven't had any problems, perhaps I was lucky!

ren
I had a card corrupted by rpi-update and so have several other people. The preempt is like #168 in the wheezy/raspbian image, it is higher than that on the squeeze. So I will just wait a bit and let asb put up the update. There is no reason to install rip-update if we are not going to need it any more.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:47 pm

Lob0426: I should stick up for Hexxeh here - rpi-update isn't really at fault, it seems there's some circumstance where FAT corruption happens. We need to track it down.

lewmur

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Can anyone tell me what the proper options are for a standard 104 key US keyboard when using raspi-config? In addition to the problems I meantioned in other post, I just spent HOURS trying to get authenticated in TightVNC only to find out the problem was with the keyboard sending the wrong characters when I was setting up the password.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:18 pm

lewmur wrote:Can anyone tell me what the proper options are for a standard 104 key US keyboard when using raspi-config? In addition to the problems I meantioned in other post, I just spent HOURS trying to get authenticated in TightVNC only to find out the problem was with the keyboard sending the wrong characters when I was setting up the password.
Everything after you select "Set keyboard layout" is just the standard Debian dpkg-reconfigure interface. It's perhaps massively user friendly, but I can't take the blame for that one (I'll see if I can offer a simplified interface for common cases perhaps). So select that, then generic 104 key PC, then (and this is the bit many people miss) it shows you variants of your current layout. Just select "Other" as you don't want English (UK) and now you can select English (US).

lewmur

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:04 pm

asb wrote:
lewmur wrote:Can anyone tell me what the proper options are for a standard 104 key US keyboard when using raspi-config? In addition to the problems I meantioned in other post, I just spent HOURS trying to get authenticated in TightVNC only to find out the problem was with the keyboard sending the wrong characters when I was setting up the password.
Everything after you select "Set keyboard layout" is just the standard Debian dpkg-reconfigure interface. It's perhaps massively user friendly, but I can't take the blame for that one (I'll see if I can offer a simplified interface for common cases perhaps). So select that, then generic 104 key PC, then (and this is the bit many people miss) it shows you variants of your current layout. Just select "Other" as you don't want English (UK) and now you can select English (US).
It may be "standard" but it certainly isn't intuitive. ;) After selecting the 104 key PC, there is a page of selections, none of which match what I want. And there is no "Other" option. What isn't apparent is that there are more options by using the up arrow. (I had tried the down arrow assuming that the options showing were at the beginning. Of course, that made an a$$ of me.) The first option showing when the up arrow was used was the plain vanilla English (US) and that solved the problem.

pjc123

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:09 pm

I don't know if raspbian is exactly the same, but here is how I set up the initial config with Wheezy Beta for 104 key US (My model keyboard was in the list, but if your model is not available. I believe there is a generic 104 key model in the list). Don't forget to set the locale as well, and make sure you unselect anything that refers to Great Britain or anything else.:

Run configure_keyboard.
(1) Select “configure_keyboard” and press the “Enter” key.
(2) Select <YOUR KEYBOARD MODEL HERE> using the “spacebar” key, then tab over to “OK” and press the “Enter” key.
(3) Keyboard Layout
(a) Select “Other”, “OK”, “Enter”.
(4) Country of origin for the keyboard.
(a) Select “English (US)”, “OK”, “Enter”.
(5) Keyboard Input.
(a) Select “English (US)”, “OK”, “enter”.
(6) Keyboard Input comes up again.
(a) Select “English (US)”, “OK”, “enter”.
(7) Enter key to function as AltGr (With some keyboard layouts, AltGr is a modifier key used to input some characters, primarily ones that are unusual for the language of the keyboard layout, such as foreign currency symbols and accented letters. These are often printed as an extra symbol on keys.).
(a) Select “No AltGR key”, “OK”, “Enter”.
(8) Enter “Compose key” (The Compose key (known as Multi_key) causes the computer to interpret the next few keystrokes as a combination in order to produce a character not found on the keyboard. On the text console the Compose key does not work in Unicode mode. If not in Unicode mode, regardless of what you choose here, you can always use the Control+period combination as a Compose key).
(a) Select “No compose key”, “OK”, “Enter”.
(9) Enter function of Control+Alt+Backspace. (By default the combination of Control+Alt+Backspace does nothing. If you want it can be used to terminate the X server). Use the Control+Alt+Backspace to terminate the X server?
(a) Select “No”, “Enter”.

Run change_locale.
(1) Select change_locale, “OK”, “Enter”.
(2) UNSELECT “en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8”.
(3) SELECT “en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8”, “”OK”, “Enter”>
(4) Default locale for the system environment. (Many packages in Debian use locales to display text in the correct language for the user. You can choose a default locale for the system from the generated locales. This will select the default language for the entire system. If the system is a multiuser system where not all users are able to speak the default language, they will experience difficulties).
(a) Select “en_US.UTF-8”, “OK”, “Enter”.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

thexman

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:48 pm

thexman wrote:does this image fix the USB V1.0 and V1.1 fault currently being suffered on the Raspberry pi or did that fix get missed out again.

No one seams to be answering this all too common fault with the Pi again what's the big secret the Pi is designed and broke no fix or no one can be bothered to write working software first time which is typical in the modern era .

Any comments welcome
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

AndrewS

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:30 pm

thexman wrote:Any comments welcome
To be fair, the USB isn't really a fault of the RPF. The BCM2835 SoC that the RPF is buying from Broadcom comes with a Synopsys USB interface, and the standard (Synopsys-supplied) Linux driver for this hardware is less than great :-(
There are efforts to improve the driver, but without access to the (secret?) hardware documentation, progress is going to be very slow. All AIUI & IMHO, of course ;)

More info in this thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =28&t=7866

Lob0426

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:17 pm

asb wrote:Lob0426: I should stick up for Hexxeh here - rpi-update isn't really at fault, it seems there's some circumstance where FAT corruption happens. We need to track it down.
I am not blaming it on Hexxeh, or anyone, my assumption was that the preempts were too far out from each other and one of the boot files was missing. You and Hexxeh and the others are doing a great job. And you are doing it because you want too, not because you are being paid to do it. With the number of changes that had to be done to get hard float working, there had to be something go amiss, there always is in the real world.

The FAT corruption explains why every time I stick the card in my windows machine it tells me the card needs to be repaired. This happened occasionally with squeeze and the earlier wheezy also. It happens more often with wheezy/ raspian. So something has been carried over and has gotten worse. I am guessing it has to do with saves to the card boot partition. Does not seem to occur unless I have changed something in boot. I should have tried to see what was corrupt in the boot after rpi-update. It might have been fixed just by checkdisk, but I did not even try that before I rewrote the image. Not a lot of help am I?

Nexy

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:23 am

I made the tactical error of running rpi-update on my otherwise up-to-date Rasbpian install. Won't now boot. :( Reinstalled but can someone confirm if an apt-get update and upgrade will actually update the firmware? Also where does one check to see what the latest firmware release is?

AndrewS

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:19 am

Nexy wrote:I made the tactical error of running rpi-update on my otherwise up-to-date Rasbpian install. Won't now boot. :(
This usually seems to be caused by corruption of the FAT partition (I believe asb and/or dom are trying to track down the cause). Apparently running a disk-check and then re-copying one of the arm*_start.elf to start.elf can be enough to fix things.
Reinstalled but can someone confirm if an apt-get update and upgrade will actually update the firmware?
Last I heard, firmware updates weren't being pushed through apt-get yet, but they will be when they've stabilised a bit.
Also where does one check to see what the latest firmware release is?
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/

kyelo

Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Have all of the files that were in Debian squeeze and wheezy now been recompiled for Raspbian? I am looking for some that were in squeeze and do not seem to be able to find them (I did an apt-get update before looking for them)?

The files are 1) /usr/bin/hp-mkuri 2) /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp 3)usr/lib/filter/hpcups/ 4) /usr/lib/cups/hpcupsfax. They are from either the HPLIP package or the CUPS package...I am not sure which.

Or are the source files available somewhere? If I could find them I could have a go at compiling them.

Thanks.

Return to “General discussion”