rshutch

Optical disc codes

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Good day We are trying to determine which OS would be best for using the Raspberry Pi 2 to attached an optical drive, Blu Ray, 100GB capacity. Any suggestions?

scotty101

Re: Optical disc codes

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:52 pm

How will you connect the BluRay drive? USB?

What do you intend to do with this? Play movies?
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

rshutch

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:58 pm

We want to see if we can use the RP2 to copy 1 USB to 1 optical discs (sata) and then connect to the RP2 with USB. If we wait for the windows OS, we think it will work automatically. But we would prefer using an existing OS. It's a simple backup project but we are not certain if the drivers/codecs need to be added. Thanks for your comments.

ghans

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Are you planning on using data Blu-Rays only ? Note that not a single Pi model supports SATA or any version of Windows which is known to or designed
to run Blu-Ray burning software. Windows 10 "IoT" and Windows 10 for Desktop PCs are two different things.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

rshutch

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:49 pm

So, RP2 cannot "see" a sata BR drive if it's connection is via external USB 3.0 to the Pi? That is precisely what I was trying to find out. What would it take to make the Pi "see" the BR so we can then copy flash to BR? Can we write some code or add a codec, or is there a third party utility we can find?

ghans

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:56 pm

You literally cannot directly connect a SATA drive to any Raspberry Pi model.

There might be readymade external USB Blu-Ray drives , else you need a SATA-to-USB bridge as addition to your "naked" SATA drive.

Since the Pi only supports USB 2.0 , an USB 3.0 bridge could be an unneccessary expense (there might or might not be a speed increase).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:42 pm

A couple of data points....

I have been using an external (USB 2.0) optical drive with both Pis (mostly Model B) and other SBCs. I do it through a hub. The drive can read/write CD and DVD discs. One would need decss or equivalent to read the *content* of a commericial DVD. My main use is for burning database backups to a CD for off-site storage.

I was in Fry's Electronics last Saturday and they had an inexpensive USB 2.0 to SATA package. I'd actually like to find a USB 3.0 equivalent, but I haven't been really looking yet. That would be for an SBC that has a USB 3.0 port in order to connect an SSD to it for the root filesystem.

rshutch

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:50 pm

Hello

Thank you for your comments. Here is a case we use which may help you:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-free ... .0+to+sata

So, what OS are you using please?

ghans

Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:37 am

Again , a reminder that you will not be able to copy commercial video Blu-Rays. I believe the loud anti-DRM minority in the FLOSS world has effectively delayed support for those , at least FLOSS Blu-Ray DRM support only began to evolve few years ago (and still is in its infancy).

Note that the enclosure is only 2.5" big , you might want to get a 3.5" enclosure instead. Furthermore it is unclear how the thing will power power-hungry drives like optical ones ( getting the current exclusively from the USB port would strike me as suboptimal for use with a Pi).

Raspbian should be the Operating System of choice. Note that commercial burning software "for Linux" has little chance of actually running on it even while
Raspbian is a proper GNU/Linux system , but free software exists for data (not video !!) Blu-Rays.

ghans

rshutch

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:31 pm

Thank you for your insightful comments. We are not interested in DRM/FLOSS issues for video BR. Although I think that this code has already been broken for BR movies. We are interested in copying data from memory cards to BR and using the RP2 with optical drive strictly as a backup tool for important data. For example, storing logs of weather balloon readings, GPS locations, etc. Good comments on the power source for the external BR drive.

daveake

Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:37 pm

How much data do you actually have? Even logging everything at 1 second intervals a typical weather balloon flight won't generate more than about 2MB of GPS data and telemetry. Unless you're storing video then I don't see the need for any more storage than a small SD card or USB stick or just cloud storage.

rshutch

Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:18 pm

Just a follow up and a continuing question:

We were able to add a blu ray recorder to our system (video editing). We now have a 12X external Blu Ray recorder that has its own power supply connected to our B+ . We also have a card reader which has a bunch of different slots, like USB, SD, etc. We can separately "see" both which are connected via USB to the B+. What we want to do is copy video from the card in our camera to back up on a BR media. With Windows or Mac, its drop and copy. Is there any suggestions on a GUI, or program, or code that we can use for this application? Thank you in advance for any suggestions. I see that there is a NERO burning program for Linux. Perhaps we should try this?

Heater

Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:43 pm

ghans,
...you will not be able to copy commercial video Blu-Rays. I believe the loud anti-DRM minority in the FLOSS world has effectively delayed support for those...
Could yo please elaborate on that? That reads like:

"Those who raise the issue of DRM are causing DRM".

Which sounds like:

"Those who raise the issue of sexism are causing sexism"

Or what ever the issue may be.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

d_older

Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi,

the usual program identified for writing data to DVD's and Blu rays is growisofs - part of the "dvd+rw-tools" package in Raspbian.

I've used it for both internal and USB DVD drives (under debian x86) but don't have access to a blu ray writer.

I would suggest searching with "growisofs" and "dvd+rw tools" to see if this could meet your needs. Be aware that limited memory/slow mass storage ( for buffers) may limit the speeds that can be used.

Hope this helps,

Dave

rshutch

Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:43 pm

Great Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for your recommendation.

Return to “General discussion”