liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

One per person limit lifted

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:10 am

You can now buy as many as you like. More at http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1588 - and no, this won't hold up your existing order, but it *will* mean that schools and businesses can now place the bulk orders they need.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

brainsys

Re: One per person limit lifted

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:28 pm

What is the position of us who have already registered our interest? We were promised we could order before opening to all-comers. I have heard nothing from Farnell or RS. Does this mean I'm at the front of the queue or now have to now join the back?

This situation seems terribly and unnecessarily confusing. Can we have some answers please?

liz

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Everybody who has registered their interest should have been invited to order now; I wonder if your registration got lost? You should go and order now; you don't need a code.

secretreeve

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:07 pm

so what about those who have ordered, paid and still waiting for thier Pi's to arrive?

because many are still 9 weeks~ from receiving...

liz

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:21 pm

If you read the post on the main page, you'll see their orders are prioritised and will be shipped before any orders put in today and later on are.

secretreeve

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:26 pm

oh i read it, i was just curious if they had stepped up the production time for those ordered.

in all honestly im getting a bit annoyed at the "taken money" > "item delivered" time. its naughty for a company to do that. im sticking it out but still. if they've opened up to mass ordered then surely they've upped thier game a bit more? primarily RS

bwoodbury

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Just a slight problem with open ordering from Element 14

We are pleased to announce that we are now open to orders of Raspberry Pi.
Order today for expected delivery within 5 weeks.
Choose your country:
Place your order
CONTINUE

Thank you for your interest in Raspberry Pi.

We know you have already registered for this great new technology, unfortunately we are currently experiencing a huge number of requests and are temporarily unable to take your order. Please try again later

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:07 pm

bwoodbury wrote: We know you have already registered for this great new technology, unfortunately we are currently experiencing a huge number of requests and are temporarily unable to take your order. Please try again later
Feb. 29 all over again? (At least this time their servers didn't crash...so that's progress.)

F1y3r

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:34 am

liz wrote:Everybody who has registered their interest should have been invited to order now; I wonder if your registration got lost? You should go and order now; you don't need a code.
Invited to order or to pre-order? I have pre-ordered already, but I don't think that it counts as an order since I haven't payed for it yet. :)

yeukhon

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:40 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
bwoodbury wrote: We know you have already registered for this great new technology, unfortunately we are currently experiencing a huge number of requests and are temporarily unable to take your order. Please try again later
Feb. 29 all over again? (At least this time their servers didn't crash...so that's progress.)
I find that really really funny lol...

I guess people figure that ordering from 14 is cheaper from Allied if you are from the US. At least that's the case for US customers. The total is only $46., and is expecting 5 weeks, as opposed to 12 weeks from RS/Allied.

Anyway. I think neither company is ready for "unlimited order".

If a school or an organization is ordering a batch more than 10, they really should do a custom order through representative, NOT through the web; they should be separate from regular orders, IMHO.
I don't mind giving a little priority to schools. But then still... they need to make their servers capable of handling such enormous traffic.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:59 am

yeukhon wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
I find that really really funny lol...

I guess people figure that ordering from 14 is cheaper from Allied if you are from the US. At least that's the case for US customers. The total is only $46., and is expecting 5 weeks, as opposed to 12 weeks from RS/Allied.

Anyway. I think neither company is ready for "unlimited order".

If a school or an organization is ordering a batch more than 10, they really should do a custom order through representative, NOT through the web; they should be separate from regular orders, IMHO.
I don't mind giving a little priority to schools. But then still... they need to make their servers capable of handling such enormous traffic.
I think the real issue is...even now, no one REALLY knows what the demand is. Eben is quoting production of 4K per day (5 days per week or 7?) and it clearly isn't enough. He's been talking about 1 million Pis this year. At year end, there may still be pent up demand and a backlog.

In the end, I guess if anyone is thinking of giving Pis for Christmas/Hannukah/Solstice/Kwanzaa presents...better order now to get them in time.

(I noted--with some amusement--in another thread that RS is quoting 11 weeks delivery time for Pi *cases* as well...)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:43 am

Why is that 'clearly' not enough?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

arm2

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:58 pm

4K a day = 20K a week = 1,040K a year or 520K in six months
But with just over half the year gone only about 200K shipped, therefore 200K+520K=720K this year.
They need to average over 30K a week to get to to 1Million this year.

jamesh

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:44 pm

Of course, the production can be increased, depending on the demand for the bulk orders. But your figures make sense.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:48 pm

jamesh wrote:Why is that 'clearly' not enough?
Quite simply because the delivery times are relatively long and Pis won't be a stock item until the backlog is taken care of....and the backlog shows very little evidence of shrinking.

In any case, we will see what the delivery schedules look like at the end of the year....

Steven Boelens

Re: One per person limit lifted (apparently not?)

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:00 am

I want to order 2 RPi's with Element 14. As I live in the Netherlands and I am not a business I get redirected to the Element 14 UK export site. On that site I cannot change the quantity of the order to 2. If I then order just one and then try to order another it tells me that only one order is allowed.

So the one per person limit is not lifted for customers in the Netherlands?

A pity I now have to wait for the first one to arrive before ordering the second one, and also a pity I have to pay for shipping twice.

But on the sunny side: It is still a lot cheaper to order two RPi's separately from the UK than to order 2 through the business section of the Element 14 website in the Netherlands. 2 Separate orders from the UK: 2 x 33.47 GBP = 83.78 Euros (including VAT and shipping). 2 RPi's from the business section of Element 14 in the Netherlands: 93.63 Euros including VAT but without shipping.
Strange...

Return to “General discussion”