movimh

problem with vmsplit, wine and...

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi...
we are an educational center for disabled people, and we've bought three raspberry pi2, but we have a problem. We need some educational italian softwares (we're in Italy...), and only a few are built also in Linux. They are only for Windows or (sometimes) Mac. In a lot of forums and discussions, it seems the easiest way to execute a built-for-win program is: Wine. But it is not officially supported for Raspberry. In some topics, (https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=1905) they suggest that Wine
requires a 3G/1G user/kernel memory split to work properly
, and so that I probably need to change
CONFIG_VMSPLIT_3G=y

Now... two questions and a half:
a) to "emulate" a Windows OS (to execute .exe files), do I need Wine, or there are some alternatives?
b) If the better way is Wine, how can change the config_vmsplit string?
b2) There are some other steps I have to do to execute Wine?

Thanks a lot...
Simone (for Movimhandicap)

Heater

Re: problem with vmsplit, wine and...

Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:47 pm

In general you cannot run Windows PC apps on the Pi or any other ARM processor. The Pi is an ARM and the PC is an Intel x86.

Wine is not an emulator so no go there unless you run an emulator like QEMU which then runs wine. All it in all it's is unlikely to work and if it does it will be terribly slow.

However these guys claim that they have a solution for you: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=111858

troombatzia

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:57 pm

Ciao Simone, what are the softwares you need? Maybe there are gnu/linux alternatives which can run on Raspberry.
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

movimh

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:42 am

Thanks for the quickly answers....

@Heaters: the Exagear solution isn't so good for us. We haven't a so big budget (really, we don't have a budget) and we can spend so much money as we did for the three PI2 purchase. In addition, our "chiefs" begged us to create a windows interface: the raspberry will be used by a lot of different people that aren't so "open-minded" to use a non-microsoft OS. If we can't find a quickly way to use .exe files, probably we'll be forced to migrate to windows 10 (at fall or by windows insider program).

@troombatzia: the softwares (without a linux version) are:
Leggixme e Equivalenzexme (programs to read out words and mathematical formulas)
supermappe (to create concept maps)
In addition, "Leggixme" can "read out" pdf by "pdf x-change viewer", but we have installed some libreoffice plugin. Now, we can change .pdf but not read them out.

trying to find some new issue to our problem, I have found this...
... for you, is there any feasible option?
And what about installing the programs we need in a Windows Pc and using the programs by the Raspberry, like a virtual remote desktop?

clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:35 pm

[conversation split to Italian forum here.]

troombatzia

Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:50 pm

English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

Return to “General discussion”