elemein

Re: Crashcorse me.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:57 am

Okay I\'m definetely interested in this little wonder of a thing. Let me give you some backdrop as to what I want to get out of Raspberry Pi, and if what I want is possible out of this little board.

I\'m a 15 year old highschool student in Cabot Secondary in Mississauga Ontario. I really love engineering (automobile and vehicular specifically), and things to do with technology (specifically Wi-Fi and UMPC Computing). I own a HP Pavilion dv6, a full-size (?) laptop, that I CANNOT fit into my locker. Every day after school I go to my grandmothers who has no computer, so I need to go to the library to have any work done, which I dont hate per se, but its bothersome.

Also, I absolutely LOVE my little HP Pavilion dv6, but gosh, it\'s so uncustomizable, the Windows 7 OS is cumbersome in comparison to a Ubuntu running on the same processor set, and while it gets everything I need it to get done and more... well done, I just feel like it isnt MINE. I feel like it\'s \"just another Windows PC\". Essentially, thats what it is, and it\'s a good one at that, I admit, but it still is not very mobile, and has its limits.

So what do I want?

A super-mobile, durable, and low-power consumption PC I can take anywhere in the smallest package possible, at the lowest cost possible. I\'m not expecting lightning-bolt performance, but I am willing to make some upgrades to the board if it\'s possible.

Basicly; what I need to know:

What kind of Operating Systems can I run on it? I was looking particularily at Ubuntu, but even that may be too heavy-duty for my needs. All I need is something that can do some internet browsing, a little Wi-Fi pentesting, a little media capability, and something that doesnt use gobs of power. Most operating systems for Linux in general can do all that, but are too heavy-duty to some extent. Anyway, a list or suggestion would be great.

What kind of monitor would I be looking at? I dont mind a little 3.5\"-5.5\" monitor, I just dont want it to be touchscreen. As for a keyboard? A bluetooth one is small enough and usually pretty decent enough. But is there any series monitor aimed at the Raspberry Pi I dont know about?

Same thing with mouse?

Anything else I should know about?

Thanks! I dont really know what I\'m aiming at since the last time I tried taking a look at making my own UMPC I was looking at gumstix, which was stupid pricey for a highschool student. Also, I only found out about Raspberry Pi a few days ago, so I dont know a whole lot about it : (

kme

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:39 am

First you have to realize R-PI is a motherboard only. No case, no keyboard, no mouse, no screen. These you\'ll have to supply yourself somehow.

There is no native bluetooth, but you can spend one of the two USB ports on the B model for a dongle.

Next the video output is HDMI or composite (RCA). Composite is not likely to make your generation happy, but any \"HD Ready\" TV will have a HDMI interface (as will most modern monitors), so that should keep you covered.

The software (OS) will be Linux and it is unlikely to run something with eyecandy due to limited memory. Expect something looking like Windows98 if you have seen such. It won\'t be anything looking like Apple. But how much Apple computer do you get for $35? The logo I guess :-)

SlayingDragons

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:11 am

[quote]Quote from kme on October 28, 2011, 03:39
First you have to realize R-PI is a motherboard only. No case, no keyboard, no mouse, no screen. These you\'ll have to supply yourself somehow.

Next the video output is HDMI or composite (RCA). Composite is not likely to make your generation happy, but any \"HD Ready\" TV will have a HDMI interface (as will most modern monitors), so that should keep you covered.

The software (OS) will be Linux and it is unlikely to run something with eyecandy due to limited memory. Expect something looking like Windows98 if you have seen such. It won\'t be anything looking like Apple. But how much Apple computer do you get for $35? The logo I guess :-)[/quote]

I dunno, openbox, lxpanel or xfce4-panel, and xcompmgr together get some respectable lightweight looks. Not that it\'s a big deal. Pretty much that entire post.

As for the OS, I\'m personally going to be running ArchLinux Arm on it, which if anyone\'s seen my other posts is probably getting sick of hearing. :P
It\'s basically a linux distro that includes only what\'s necessary by default, and you build it up from there. This is great, because it does exactly what you need/want it to and nothing more. It\'s not hard to set up if you can follow their wiki. You sound like you have some previous linux experience, so I recommend it. It\'s not \"What does it do?\" it\'s \"What can I do with it?\" (To paraphrase a certain someone.)

And as far as the monitor, I\'m going to be using one of those cheap chinese-made car reverse monitors. Like such:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-TFT-LCD-Car ... 842wt_1143
Composite input, but at that resolution it doesn\'t really matter imo. I\'m going to be picking up just any cheap usb mouse and keyboard to use with it.

So yeah, that\'s pretty much all I can think of atm. And I\'m 15 too, awesome. :D

elemein

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:28 am

@kme
Yeah I know that Raspberry is just the board. Which is why I asked about mouse, keyboard, and screen =_=. And I\'m very familiar with HDMI and Composite alike. And yes, I have seen Windows 98, I was actually wondering if maybe Windows CE was right for this project of mine.

@ SlayingDragons

Oh will definetely take a look at that Linux distribution you\'re talking about after a little more searching about Windows CE. Also, that monitor of yours looks pretty decent, I\'ll just have to sand off a crapton of the ugly bits (the stand, maybe the hood over it...) so that I can mount it somehow to the case (Ill find/make/whatever a case :> ) to make it more compact.
And awesome! We\'re both youngins xD So what\'re you trying to get out of Raspberry?

And another question I just remembered!! Can I upgrade the components of the Raspberry Pi? Upgrade the ARM processor? It\'s RAM? How about a USB Hub?

abishur

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:22 am

A lot of the answers to your question can be found either on the FAQ page, or by reading the Raspberry Pi 101 thread. ;)

As for upgrading the components, that a definite impossibility :( The RAM is a package on package design (one chip sits atop another chip) and uses a very tight scale ball grid array, so even if there was a commercially available memory upgrade in PoP you\'d need a special machine to do the soldering replacement for you.

The is also true for the USB hub. While it\'s not PoP it\'s a very tight soldering area and even if you upgraded it, there\'s not data lines in the PCB for you to attach any additional ports on the board. If you were insanely skilled at soldering you might be able to put some wires directly on the pins and take those out to the USB ports, but for the time, money, and effort you\'d expend you\'d be better off just buying an inexpensive hub.

There\'s some issues with using a windows OS on the device (like no graphic capabilities) so I wouldn\'t hold my breath on using anything other than Linux, but as you can see on the front page, Eben actually demos a desktop running on an alpha board that looks pretty nice. They\'re still working on fully implementing the GPU for graphics acceleration, but it\'s still fairly impressive and several steps above windows 98 (more like XP)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

elemein

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:32 pm

@abishur
Hardware upgrading is a definite nono? Fair enough. Sorry if this sounds noobish, but I\'m not familiar with ARM processors so much; is it possible OVERCLOCK one? (accounting for the extra heat by adding a heatsink or something obviously if the heat was soooo much)

I was just thinking of buying an inexpensive USB hub from like bestbuy or something. It connects into one USB port and then opens up 2+ more USB ports. I\'m sure you know what I\'m talkinga about. Cant think of words to explain it.

And I meant Windows CE as the Windows OS. Are you familiar with it? It\'s specifcally designed to run on an ARM processor, and is lightweight and low-graphic. Obviously it isnt a Linux OS, but hey, Windows CE is pretty decent (no problems of Windows Vista, not the graphical slowdown unresponsiveness of Windows 7 =_=)

Even if, I\'m still happy to use a Linux, I\'d just prefer CE since it\'s so barebones.

Xovan

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:54 pm

It is worth a try but you\'ll need storage space to fit it. The thing natively only has an sd card slot so you\'ll need to either A: Make sure windows CE will fit on the sd card, or B: Netboot windows.

Honestly though I think Linux would be better in the long run simply because there is a lot more out there that will run on an ARM-based linux rather than ARM-based windows.

Off the top of my head ArchLinux http://archlinuxarm.org/, Slackware http://www.armedslack.org/, Gentoo gentoo.org, and Debian debian.org all have arm versions, some are easier to use over others. Arch Linux and Gentoo would have the best performance possible and might be easier to mess with things later. Slackware and Debian come with lots of stuff prepackaged making it easier for new people but may be harder to tweak as time goes by. They all are well made excellent operating systems though so I wouldn\'t worry about what to choose until you have a clear idea of what you\'ll be doing with your device.

For me I\'m going to try making a simple word processor that is WYSIWYG for the command line. Not looking at making something high caliber like Abiword and LibreOffice but something that isn\'t as frustrating as LaTex and TexLive typesetting programs.

Good Luck in your endeavors.

abishur

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:17 pm

Oh, I knew you meant Windows CE. The issue still stands I fear. A while back we were discussing using an ARM Windows on the r-pi and were told that if someone wanted to figure out how to where to put the memory addressing to get a window to show up on the screen then it *might* be possible to use a windows OS without graphic acceleration, but until someone figured that out anything you did with it would just give you a blank screen.

I mean you might be able to get away with setting up a virtual OS with RDP then pushing that image onto the SD card so you could remotely access it, but until someone successfully does that I\'m not holding my breath ;) Plus, even if it did get up and running, what are you going to run on it? You\'d have to buy special Windows CE versions of software, would windows networking work the way we expect it to? There\'s the up and coming windows 8, but that requires much more than the r-pi has to offer hardware wise :(

elemein

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Ah so thats it for Windows CE as for now. Well no problem I suppose, I wasnt aiming specifcally at Windows CE, I just thought it\'d be cool to have a Windows system on a super compact device, but Linux has always been good to me in terms of speed :)

Also, any word on the overclocking of the ARM processor?

kme

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:28 pm

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:31 pm

[quote]Quote from Xovan on October 28, 2011, 17:54
For me I\'m going to try making a simple word processor that is WYSIWYG for the command line. Not looking at making something high caliber like Abiword and LibreOffice but something that isn\'t as frustrating as LaTex and TexLive typesetting programs.
[/quote]

See also wordgrinder:

http://wordgrinder.sourceforge.net/

abishur

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:32 pm

As for overclocking, there\'s actually a whole thread devoted to discussing that. Try the search feature of the forum and it should be the top hit ;)

elemein

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:55 pm

;o Oh cool. Will take a search. Definetely will be following the R-Pi and hopefully ordering one or two once I see what it can do :)

Oxwivi

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:11 pm

[quote]Quote from elemein on October 28, 2011, 16:32
Even if, I\'m still happy to use a Linux, I\'d just prefer CE since it\'s so barebones. [/quote]

FYI, Linux-based operating systems (including Ubuntu) also have barebone versions. Currently, I\'ve got a 4 GB HDD, using Ubuntu minimal (command line), I installed LXDE and the applications I need. No more, no less, and as easy as apt-get.

Oxwivi

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:23 pm

Ah, before I forget, even if you do install Windows CE, you won\'t be able to use any of the regular programs on it. Other than programs specific to CE, none of them are compiled to run on the ARM. That is to say there are no Windows programs, which you run on regular PC, available for the ARM architecture.

Here\'s where the Linux-based distribution\'s repository comes in extremely handy. Even if the open-source developers don\'t build for ARM, the distributions, if they support ARM, will compile everything against the ARM architecture. Whatever you can use on a regular x86 PC will be available on your ARM system as well.

Return to “General discussion”