johhnyhotrocks
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 am

Help!!! Where to buy kit for my 10 year old

Fri May 29, 2015 10:28 am

Hi everyone, I am a parent who knows very little about raspberry pi but have a ten year old who wants one for his birthday. I have searched the internet and find it is a mine field out there, I just want to buy him a starter kit that will be a little future proof.
So I would appreciate any tips on where to buy? what to buy? and how much I should look to pay?

I apologise if this has been answered many times but I searched the forums and couldnt find a relevant thread.

Thank you!!!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23082
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Help!!!

Fri May 29, 2015 10:36 am

Where in the world are you?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

johndough
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Re: Help!!!

Fri May 29, 2015 10:42 am

Hi

My choice would be CPC Farnell.

But then I am already a UK customer.

http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberrypi

and the bit where it says "Everything you need to get started"

http://cpc.farnell.com/pi-ucreate

and then do your assessment.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20167
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Help!!!

Fri May 29, 2015 11:14 am

adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5155
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: Help!!! Where to buy kit for my 10 year old

Fri May 29, 2015 11:42 am

johhnyhotrocks wrote:Hi everyone, I am a parent who knows very little about raspberry pi but have a ten year old who wants one for his birthday. I have searched the internet and find it is a mine field out there, I just want to buy him a starter kit that will be a little future proof.
So I would appreciate any tips on where to buy? what to buy? and how much I should look to pay?

I apologise if this has been answered many times but I searched the forums and couldnt find a relevant thread.

Thank you!!!
There is all the probability that you have everything you need at home already - a usb keyboard, a usb mouse, a tv or monitor with hdmi or RCA input, a micro SD card 4gb+.
You may or may not have a suitable psu and usb cable to power the pi.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

johhnyhotrocks
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 am

Re: Help!!! Where to buy kit for my 10 year old

Fri May 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Thanks for the replies I am in the uk

jimjam89
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Help!!! Where to buy kit for my 10 year old

Sat May 30, 2015 10:56 am

Check out http://shop.pimoroni.com/ they sell everything you need. I have one of their cases it's great!

johhnyhotrocks
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 am

Re: Help!!! Where to buy kit for my 10 year old

Sun May 31, 2015 3:01 pm

Ok this question will give away my total noobness, but I notice that you Need a power lead. Do you need this plugged in at all times or does it charge it? I have looked at the Parnell site and am just sorting out what I need.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14756
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Help!!! Where to buy kit for my 10 year old

Sun May 31, 2015 3:09 pm

johhnyhotrocks wrote:Ok this question will give away my total noobness, but I notice that you Need a power lead. Do you need this plugged in at all times or does it charge it? I have looked at the Parnell site and am just sorting out what I need.
It needs to be connected all the time. The Pi doesn't have any batteries.

Some of the power supplies come with leads built in. Some don't. Don't buy a cheap lead - they are ok for charging mobile phones slowly, but can't handle the load the Pi needs. Basically the thicker the wire the better it is. Sometimes the wire thickness is given in AWG - the smaller the number the thicker the wire.

johhnyhotrocks
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 am

Re: Help!!! Where to buy kit for my 10 year old

Sun May 31, 2015 3:15 pm

I have a good quality 10000 mah power pack. Would he be able to use that with it ?

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Help!!! Where to buy kit for my 10 year old

Sun May 31, 2015 4:15 pm

johhnyhotrocks wrote:I have a good quality 10000 mah power pack. Would he be able to use that with it ?
Do you want it to be portable? If so, that would work for maybe 5 hours, at a guess.

If not, get a good power supply that's plugged in.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “General discussion”