macarelo

Re: splicing into a laptop case?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:35 pm

How hard/expensive would it be to design a 11.6\" (I like that size) laptop made for putting a RasPi in, and contact a chinese manufacturer in order to produce a couple hundred?

I have the feeling DIYing this is becoming too difficult without mass producing a solution to the display connection dilemma

ppeterka

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:02 am

[quote]Quote from macarelo on November 11, 2011, 18:35
How hard/expensive would it be to design a 11.6\" (I like that size) laptop made for putting a RasPi in, and contact a chinese manufacturer in order to produce a couple hundred?

I have the feeling DIYing this is becoming too difficult without mass producing a solution to the display connection dilemma[/quote]

Why would we do that? For $40, you can get a cheap chinese crap, just like I did, and for 40 bucks, you can\'t even get a screen alone! Too much work, no achievement.

They are quite available in 7\" and 10\" flavors. The only problem appears to be the interfacing with the raw panel. And this will be a problem, no matter how we approach the problem.

Dylatron47

Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:49 am

Here is my idea :)

get a small keyboard like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-2-4GHz-Rii ... 813wt_1344

a portable battery source: not sure?

and a monitor(something like this but cheaper): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Haier-HLT71-7-7 ... 2eb907216b

also add a case or fit it into the monitor. ether way it would be pretty awesome :D

ppeterka

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:31 pm

[quote]Quote from Dylatron47 on November 12, 2011, 11:49
Here is my idea :)

get a small keyboard like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-2-4GHz-Rii ... 813wt_1344

a portable battery source: not sure?

and a monitor(something like this but cheaper): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Haier-HLT71-7-7 ... 2eb907216b

also add a case or fit it into the monitor. ether way it would be pretty awesome :D
[/quote]

And now you have 3 things:
* a bluetooth keyboard, with batteries
* a display in a separate housing, with a separate power brick
* and a RasPi - of course naked
You don\'t have:
* a common power source - for the RasPi AND the screen
* a case that would survive daily moving, and keep the things together, while providing usability too
* an USB Bluetooth dongle

This costs:
83 GBP + the RasPi of choice + the price of a portable power source, and its charging mechanism + 1 GBP for a bluetooth dongle

The other route would have more trouble (initially), but would have more consistent results. The china crapbooks are quite common - you can even find ones completely working, but with erased flash (totally unusable) for really really cheap. And the innards are exactly the same for each and every one of them!

What I\'m trying to do is make an \"open source\" PCB to fulfill these requirements:
* exactly fit in the little bastards\' cases
* utilize all possible connnectors on the little netbook (or possibly more)
* solve the problem of connecting the LCD, keyboard, speakers, WiFi dongle, touchpad, battery in one go
* should be as cheap as it can be
* should be as easy to reproduce at home as it is possible (well, TQFP100 isn\'t exactly about that, but I\'m trying to find solutions right now...)
* should use only widely (and globally) available components and technologies

macarelo

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:13 pm

[quote]Quote from ppeterka on November 12, 2011, 09:02
Why would we do that? For $40, you can get a cheap chinese crap, just like I did, and for 40 bucks, you can\'t even get a screen alone! Too much work, no achievement.
[/quote]

ppeterka, what I don\'t understand is the goal in your project. Once you get the RasPi up and running in your chinese netbook, what will it be good for? You said yourself that the screen is bad and the keyboard is bad... why not try to make a netbook that is good for something?
The reason netbooks started as 7\" and moved on to 10\" is because the general use of a netbook needs something better than 7\" and 800x480 (I had the original EEE PC 701, and it did feel too small).

And on a sidenote, I DO like the idea of a Raspberry \"Hydra\" (or Raspberry Tree?) in a notebook body :D

RoDuS

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:46 pm

I made a post in the case thread, any old lappy could have a small flat tv installed, blutooth mini KB w/touch mouse, the bonus would be a tv w/sd for pictures, mp3, video to save space on the Pi...

ppeterka

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:44 pm

[quote]Quote from macarelo on November 14, 2011, 17:13
[quote]Quote from ppeterka on November 12, 2011, 09:02
[/quote]

ppeterka, what I don\'t understand is the goal in your project. Once you get the RasPi up and running in your chinese netbook, what will it be good for? You said yourself that the screen is bad and the keyboard is bad... why not try to make a netbook that is good for something?
[/quote]

Then I may have not been clear enough: the display would be just enough, and the keyboard has a trivial problem: software. As the RasPi would use only the matrix, the keyboard would do just good.

What it will be good for:
* use it on meetings,
* take it on trips, where I wouldn\'t take anything more expensive.

Use cases: Light internet usage through 3G-WiFi tethering on my Android mobile, RDP to my work computer through the company VPN, solving IT support issues. (these were the goals I set for the little Chinese thing too, but it failed at it badly - and shame is that the hardware itself could have delivered, but the software is the culprit)

The only thing I have against the screen is that it is too small and thus awkward looking in the case, that is why I tried to find a bigger one - but none would fit. No problem though, I have plans with the area around the screen, as quite some features can be put in there...

Return to “General discussion”