Ampix0

Re: Prepared for faulty boards and claims?

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:20 pm

I am not sure what the profit margin will be on these boards (and shipping is another story) but I can not imagine it is a very large margin at all which I am thankful of. I suspect the R-Pi team plans to make most of their money from cases/SD cards/ and other accessories?

I suspect there will be quite a few boards that go out and are damaged, either from the factory or during shipping. Will the R-Pi team be able financially to exchange boards? I assume they are fairly deep in the hole out of their pockets at this point already.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Ha - yes, we are prepared. Of course we are. I love the way that you guys all seem to think we\'re a starry-eyed startup made up of business n00bs. We are starry-eyed - but have a quick look at the CVs of the trustees and their business experience, and I think you\'ll realise that all of the minutiae of the foundation\'s business has been gone through in serious, serious detail.

One of our trustees, Jack Lang, worked on the original BBC Micro project, and we\'ve taken the returns figures from that as our baseline to work with, mostly because we think it\'s cool. (We don\'t anticipate returns figures being very high at all, and they were monstrous for the BBC Micro, but we figure that an enormous safety margin is always a good thing.)

Boards are tested, so you won\'t see them coming out of the factory faulty. Pete appears to be engineering them to some sort of bizarre military standard (he was saying on the phone the other evening that he wants and expects them to be able to have a 20-odd year lifespan), so I don\'t think you need to worry overmuch about needing to return your own board.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Ampix0

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Well that is always great to hear :) I do not doubt the amazing power of this team but, it is never a bad idea to bring concerns up to the attention of the team just in case something is missed. But that sounds fantastic.

liz

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:41 pm

TBH, I\'m just a bit worried that the lifespan of the SoC isn\'t predicted to be 20-anything years. But we\'ll have to see!

jacklang

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:42 pm

That said, there will always be those who change their mind, or address or the like, so we have to be prepared. Whether it will be economic to unpack, test and recycle them ourselves remains to be seen

Montekuri

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Production cannot be a problem, but transport can be.
I would think about a pack of R-Pi being loaded on the back of a camel :)
Even inside a good car, we must count bad roads.
Well, the client cannot prove it was a bad production or a bad transportation.

But , this is just a thought. It will be 2 or 3 R-Pi returned.

liz

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:03 pm

I don\'t know what the packaging will look like yet, but it should be pretty robust (and will include anti-static protection), so I\'d be surprised if we lose any/many in transport. I\'ve been pleasantly surprised at how tough even the alphas are - at Maker Faire we had two kids who both wanted to hold the demo version having a very physical tug-of-war with it while my back was turned. The board survived very nicely (only to have an HDMI pin bent the next week by someone who should have known better - I name no names - we fixed the bent pin easily, though, and all was well). Jamesh has been subjecting his alpha to all kinds of indignities, and it\'s as happy as Larry.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:06 pm

Ah NOW WE KNOW what jamesh is up to half way up a mountain in the middle of nowhere. he\'s going to subject the alphaboard to the drop test.

here we are at 20,000 feet get down shep

liz

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:10 pm

If he\'s taken an alpha board on holiday with him, I don\'t think he\'ll be coming back alive. Mrs Jamesh and the little Jameshes will probably have stuck him with the pointy end.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:12 pm

I bet he smuggled one into his rucksack somehow and a blooming long ethernet cable, do they come in 300mile lengths?

Montekuri

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Wow, there is nothing worse than kids playing with \"toys\".
If the R-Pi survived to them, then it will survive to anything.

Bacan

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:30 pm

[quote]Quote from ukscone on October 26, 2011, 19:06
Ah NOW WE KNOW what jamesh is up to half way up a mountain in the middle of nowhere. [/quote]

Maybe the R-Pi is undergoing SAS survival gear testing. Built to Mil-Spec standards. Talk of epoxy coating. Next we\'ll hear about Emit Brown giving it an EMP ratings in the JiggaWatt range and NASA wind tunnel testing for use by BASE jumpers. :D

Lakes

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Send one to the Gadget Show for testing, bet it would`nt survive that! haha

Ryanroll

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:35 pm

[quote]Quote from liz on October 26, 2011, 18:29
One of our trustees, Jack Lang, worked on the original BBC Micro project... [/quote]

jack lang? the former french culture minister? :o

Well, i\'m not sure i want one anymore :D

(sorry, had nothing interesting to say)

jacklang

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Non!
Nor the former Australian Prime Minister of the same name.

geeus

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:50 pm

This is back it the question of how they are packaged. with computer my kids although young (1 and 4) notice the screen keyboard and mouse. because they all do something. putting the raspberry pi in some homemade chassis prevents damage to the physical device. so all that you need to worry is about software damage,and I think rescuing a ras-pi board from the depths of blue screen doom(sorry to use a windows reference but i can\'t think of anything better), would be good a education.
regards Gee
Gee The Rabid Inventor :)

Return to “General discussion”