mung

Re: Is the rpi a political joke?

Fri May 08, 2015 9:36 pm

I thought this thread was about plugs not sockets?

http://dictionary.infoplease.com/plug

Mandrewpi

Sat May 09, 2015 1:54 am

mung wrote:I thought this thread was about plugs not sockets?

http://dictionary.infoplease.com/plug
Ah, same difference
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

Burngate

Sat May 09, 2015 10:37 am

... or sticky-backed plastic.

(From circa 1966)
Me: "I'd like half a yard of that 36-inch Fablon, please"
Woolworth's sales girl: "We've only got it in 18-inch wide"
Me: "Ok, I'll have a yard of it"
Woolworth's sales girl: "....", blank look. Eyes glaze over. Neurons cease firing.

ame

Sun May 10, 2015 7:00 am

ame wrote:The problem with political jokes is that they often get elected.
I rest my case.

morphy_richards

Sun May 10, 2015 8:01 am

We seem a bit short of 'not jokes' and none of the jokes we do have are particularly funny.

johndough

Sun May 10, 2015 12:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote:The BBC is horrifically anal about "political correctness" and "product placement" to the point of annoyance of the average viewer.
Hi Dougie

I am inclined to disagree in some small part, because...

If you are a large US corporation, with your share listing on the NYSE or similar you get almost continuous BBC mentions, Twitter, Facebook & Google come to mind, but a charity in the UK with a good intention, means no mention.

Some sort of crazy BBC standard that is beyond my comprehension.

So if the BBC can't mention, then I wont mention, the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

####

Product placement is the inclusion of, or a reference to, a product or service in return for payment or any consideration in kind. The taking of product placement for licence fee funded services is prohibited under the terms of the BBC Agreement.

##########

Advertisements or promotions undertaken by presenters must not in any way suggest BBC endorsement, undermine the BBC's values, bring the BBC into disrepute, or give the public reason to doubt the objectivity of BBC presenters or their programmes

######################

I read that as Top Gear, with its magazine and "Clarkson, Hammond & May Live (formerly Top Gear Live)" must in some way cross the boundaries, but is encouraged.

While a logo on a PCB of a Raspberry is VERBOTEN.

Yet again my value system is confounded by BBC logic.

Burngate

Sun May 10, 2015 4:28 pm

In defence of the BBC - or rather the producers of the BBC's programmes and their minions down the food-chain - it's not the rules and regulations themselves so much, as the assistant director's perception of what The Powers-That-Be will think.
If he/she gets it wrong and allows something that their boss doesn't think his boss will allow, they'll be out of a job (they're almost certainly freelance, so can be fired at a moment's notice)
Allow something that's been allowed before, and you can claim it was someone else's fault.

W. H. Heydt

Sun May 10, 2015 9:43 pm

On the other hand...perhaps some of the people that saw the clip will start asking around to find out what that "thing" really is...and will discover the Pi as a result.

cyrano

Mon May 11, 2015 12:37 am

I used to respect the BBC. That dwindled a bit over the years. Today it vanished completely because they started censoring and sending DMCA take down notices to Google for their own programs. They would even like to censor the imdb site and other innocent sites just for mentioning a BBC show. There is little defense for smaller publications.

Apparently, they must be really ashamed by the Top Gear loss. Or am I overlooking something here?

nuex

Sat May 30, 2015 11:38 am

It's quite funny to see a man on a tiny raspberry pi. But being a student i'm no political fan so i would not know. :D
Luke Castle
Nuex*
Sent from my Raspberry Pi

Fester Bestertester

Sat May 30, 2015 5:28 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Your sockets are upside down compared to ours. . .
Is the switch orientation different too? In the US, up is on, down is off (presumably so that if things go drastically wrong a gravity-assisted downward swipe will kill the supply). In the pic, the down-swiped switches indicate with a red flash that power is 'on'. NZ is the same (same standard, same device/product as depicted).
Last edited by Fester Bestertester on Sat May 30, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpdom

Sat May 30, 2015 5:38 pm

Fester Bestertester wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Your sockets are upside down compared to ours. . .
Is the switch orientation different too? In the US, up is on, down is off (presumably so that if things go drastically wrong a gravity-assisted downward swipe will kill the supply). In the pic, the down-swiped switches indicate with a red flash that power is 'on'. NZ is the same (same standard, same device/product as depicted).
In the UK, down is on, up is off. Dunno why, that's just the way it is (although I've seen installations where it was otherwise).

Most modern switches aren't like the old fashioned "toggle" operated switches, the action is a rocker where you push the top or bottom to operate, so a quick swipe won't cut it.

Fester Bestertester

Sat May 30, 2015 5:43 pm

ame wrote: China uses the same pin pattern as Aus/NZ, but it's the other way up (right way up?). Maybe the logo was installed for the Chinese market.
The rationale in Aus/NZ is that if a plug/device (e.g. wall-wart) falls out, it will pivot on the ground pin, which is longer and, by this orientation, the last to disconnect. A safety measure. Is there a different version of gravity in China? or the UK?:)

Fester Bestertester

Sat May 30, 2015 5:54 pm

Burngate wrote:... or sticky-backed plastic.

(From circa 1966)
Woolworth's sales girl: "....", blank look. Eyes glaze over. Neurons cease firing.
That's in the same vein as "give an inch, they'll take a mile" Inch? mile? Neurons cease firing... :)... :)

DougieLawson

Sat May 30, 2015 8:55 pm

Fester Bestertester wrote: Is there a different version of gravity in China? or the UK?:)
The UK earth pin is 5mm longer than the other two, so it's first in (to open the safety shutters) and last out.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?tit ... Mains_plug
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

BMS Doug

Sat May 30, 2015 9:38 pm

Burngate wrote:... or sticky-backed plastic.

(From circa 1966)
That's in the same vein as "give an inch, they'll take a mile" Inch? mile? Neurons cease firing... :)... :)
A yard is 3 feet, aka 36 inches, half a yard is therefore 18 inches.

its the same vein as "Six of one, half a dozen of the other." (A dozen is 12).
ame wrote: China uses the same pin pattern as Aus/NZ, but it's the other way up (right way up?). Maybe the logo was installed for the Chinese market.
The rationale in Aus/NZ is that if a plug/device (e.g. wall-wart) falls out, it will pivot on the ground pin, which is longer and, by this orientation, the last to disconnect. A safety measure. Is there a different version of gravity in China? or the UK?:)
A UK plug will not fall out under the force of gravity (well, not earths gravity anyway), it requires significant force to insert or remove (unless the socket is dangerously damaged).
(If you pull hard on the cord it will unplug, but that's more likely to be an upward force)
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

rpdom

Sun May 31, 2015 5:10 am

BMS Doug wrote:(A dozen is 12).
I had to explain that to a young checkout person in Wilkinsons when I asked for a dozen stamps and they said "What's that then?". Don't they teach kids anything these days? :roll:

Heater

Sun May 31, 2015 6:36 am

"What's that then?"

One twelfth of a gross...never mind give me six tenths of a score.

Paul Webster

Sun May 31, 2015 6:42 am

Implying no French done at school either
... dix, onze, douze ... which leads to douzaine (collection of 12 things) -> dozen

Hopefully the bakery apprentice knows it.

Return to “General discussion”