mung

Is the rpi a political joke?

Wed May 06, 2015 9:35 pm

I was watching 'charlie brooker's election wipe' on bbc tv this evening and part of it seemed to show philomena cunk in a virtual reality political matrix inside a raspberry pi which charlie brooker threw onto his desk followed by barry shitpeas repeating Nicola Sturgeons name.

I am not sure what it meant and did not really understand the joke, was the foundation involved in this product placement?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Is the rpi a political joke?

Wed May 06, 2015 9:42 pm

No, total surprise to us (very pleased though - I'm a HUGE Charlie Brooker fan). My guess is it's a reference to BBC News' habit of putting Rory Cellan Jones on a giant Raspberry Pi every time there's a news story about us.

The BBC is VERY strict about product placement; when we've done segments on kids' TV with the fart detector, for example, we've had to cover up the brand name of the deodorant we use to set it off; and last time Dave Akerman was on the BBC talking about Pis in the stratosphere, he wasn't allowed to mention the name of the product.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

DougieLawson

Wed May 06, 2015 9:53 pm

The BBC is horrifically anal about "political correctness" and "product placement" to the point of annoyance of the average viewer. It's always been that way even back when Blue Peter renamed "Fablon" to "sticky backed plastic", we all knew it was "Fablon".

That's a product like "Hoover" where the trademark has now lost its capital letter and become the generic term.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Made me laugh. Brooker's always been into games and tech, first came across him when he wrote for PC Zone. "Cruelty Zoo" anyone :shock: :D

morphy_richards

Wed May 06, 2015 10:23 pm

DougieLawson wrote:The BBC is horrifically anal about "political correctness" and "product placement" to the point of annoyance of the average viewer. It's always been that way even back when Blue Peter renamed "Fablon" to "sticky backed plastic", we all knew it was "Fablon".

That's a product like "Hoover" where the trademark has now lost its capital letter and become the generic term.
What the flipping gory heck is fablon?

Do you mean selleotape?

DougieLawson

Wed May 06, 2015 10:36 pm

morphy_richards wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:The BBC is horrifically anal about "political correctness" and "product placement" to the point of annoyance of the average viewer. It's always been that way even back when Blue Peter renamed "Fablon" to "sticky backed plastic", we all knew it was "Fablon".

What the flipping gory heck is fablon?

Do you mean selleotape [sic]?
Poor young thing. If you've never heard of Fablon you've never lived. We used to have to wrap our school text books in Fablon to stop them being shredded by the end of the school year. Exercise books got wrapped in paper because they filled and were replaced long before the end of term.

Sellotape is another thing entirely. That name comes from cellophane which is a plastic made from cellulose.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

liz

Wed May 06, 2015 10:37 pm

Oh my god - I'd forgotten all about the text book/Fablon ritual. The bubbles used to drive me nuts.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

AndyD

Wed May 06, 2015 10:58 pm

liz wrote:Oh my god - I'd forgotten all about the text book/Fablon ritual. The bubbles used to drive me nuts.
It is funny how products like these have different names all over the world. When I was a child here in Australia, this was always known as Contact (which from a quick search appears to be a US brand). I found a tutorial for you Liz ... How to cover books in contact without bubbles.

While off the topic. I was amused when I recently received a Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply and put the Australian put the Australian plug-plate on that the Raspberry Pi logo sits upside-down when plugged into the wall socket. Is the Raspberry Pi logo always required to point North?

DougieLawson

Wed May 06, 2015 11:06 pm

Your sockets are upside down compared to ours. (I'll have to mention that to my daughter who's emigrating to Outer Pomgolia, Western Austrialia when her partner joins the Perth police.)

Douglas6

Wed May 06, 2015 11:35 pm

Ooooohhhh. Contact paper. Why didn't you say that in the first place?

DougieLawson

Wed May 06, 2015 11:36 pm

Douglas6 wrote:Ooooohhhh. Contact paper. Why didn't you say that in the first place?
Because it's called "sticky backed plastic" or "Fablon" here in Rightpondia.

ame

Wed May 06, 2015 11:47 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Your sockets are upside down compared to ours. (I'll have to mention that to my daughter who's emigrating to Outer Pomgolia, Western Austrialia when her partner joins the Perth police.)

China uses the same pin pattern as Aus/NZ, but it's the other way up (right way up?). Maybe the logo was installed for the Chinese market.

adlambert

Thu May 07, 2015 6:54 am

My Blue Peter viewing goes back to Noakes/Purves/Singleton and I heard the brand name Fablon for the first time in this thread.

BBC seem OK for people to mention brand names now if they follow up with "other xxx products are available". Does seem a bit pointless but I guess not doing so will have a corporation lawyer opening up one eager eye.

"open up one eager eye" ref: The Killers, Mr Brightside; and Nena, 99 Red Balloons. Other popular beat combos are available.

ame

Thu May 07, 2015 6:57 am

The problem with political jokes is that they often get elected.

morphy_richards

Thu May 07, 2015 7:09 am

ame wrote:The problem with political jokes is that they often get elected.
Apparently the monster raving loony party is still alive and well.

Reminds me of my parents joking on election days in the 80s. Oh such happy days when cartoons were real cartoons, toys came out of cereal packets and political protests were real political protests.

BMS Doug

Thu May 07, 2015 7:39 am

I've never heard of Fablon before today and yes, it was a ritual to cover all school books in sticky back plastic (a process I later repeated with softback RPG books, which saved my WFRP book from so many beer spillages (but not from cigarette burns (darn you Corver :x ))).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

scotty101

Thu May 07, 2015 10:28 am

morphy_richards wrote: political protests were real political protests.
They've made real political protests illegal these days.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

DougieLawson

Thu May 07, 2015 10:41 am

adlambert wrote:My Blue Peter viewing goes back to Noakes/Purves/Singleton and I heard the brand name Fablon for the first time in this thread.
They used to sell Fablon in FW Woolworth's (dec'd).

mung

Thu May 07, 2015 11:04 am

Yeah I was not sure it actually was a rpi so checked the iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ction-wipe

I think the footage starts about 14:00, and I now think maybe I was wrong, it looks more like a beaglebone on second viewing.
Also there is definitely no mention of fablon in the program but lots of sticky fingered backhanded plastic politicians.

gordon77

Thu May 07, 2015 11:34 am

It looks like a Pi2 in a clear box he throws on the table

DougieLawson

Thu May 07, 2015 11:55 am

gordon77 wrote:It looks like a Pi2 in a clear box he throws on the table
Definitely looks like a 2B to me.

hk1963

Thu May 07, 2015 12:41 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
gordon77 wrote:It looks like a Pi2 in a clear box he throws on the table
Definitely looks like a 2B to me.
2B or not 2B: That is the question!

BMS Doug

Thu May 07, 2015 1:21 pm

It was nice to see my workplace used as an example of London buildings being abandoned (at about 48 minutes).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

andrum99

Thu May 07, 2015 4:14 pm

adlambert wrote:BBC seem OK for people to mention brand names now if they follow up with "other xxx products are available".
That's actually a little in joke that comes from when the BBC used to advertise the Radio Times on their TV channels. There were some complaints so the "compromise" that was reached was to say "other listings magazines are available" at the end of the advert.

Mandrewpi

Fri May 08, 2015 5:20 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Your sockets are upside down compared to ours. (I'll have to mention that to my daughter who's emigrating to Outer Pomgolia, Western Austrialia when her partner joins the Perth police.)

The top plugins are like ours only in the us the top part is parallel
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

Return to “General discussion”