Heater

Re: Questions about High Altitude Balloon Flights

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Sounds like a good lightning conductor :)

Massi

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:29 pm

joan wrote:You could remove the insulation, which would save quite a bit of weight,
Well even the power problem would be solved in this way..
It's enough to have a small storm and some electricity will come by itself :)

rpiswag

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:07 pm

Sorry I meant 40,000 Meters. I don't want to use a iridium because they are so expensive and I have a good chance of loosing it. I want to use a ham radio because I have a ham radio license and ham radio(a small one). What ham radio should I use on the project that will be on the balloon?
A computer's power can't be just measured Gigahertz. It is the same thing with us humans.

Heater

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:20 pm

rpiswag,
What ham radio should I use on the project that will be on the balloon?
Do you even bother to read the replies to your questions?

Like the one that directed you here: http://www.arhab.org/index.php

rpiswag

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:22 pm

I have read everyone and enjoyed there responses. I have done high altitude ballooning but my grandpa got me clearance to launch the balloon project but he has moved so how do I get permission from the FAA? What balloon would you recommend ( preferably one I could buy from amazon) that isn't overly expensive. One that could lift about 5 pounds or about 2.26796 Kg.
Last edited by rpiswag on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A computer's power can't be just measured Gigahertz. It is the same thing with us humans.

RobHenry

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:29 pm

rpiswag wrote: I have a good chance of loosing [sic] it.
The same applies to the people who read this thread...

rpdom

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:53 pm

rpiswag wrote:or about 2.26796 Kg.
That's a very precise "about" ;)

It's the last 0.96g that's the critical bit :)

adlambert

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:04 am

Here's another link: http://www.habhub.org

The tracking of balloons can be seen here. As I write there is one in flight near Lubbock TX.
Tracking is done collaboratively by many volunteers, mostly radio amateurs using 70cm SSB and Amateur packet radio repeaters.

The California Near Space Project have flown two transatlantic flights, from near San Jose, CA, eastwards across the USA and the Atlantic. It crossed much of Europe and turned south finally ending near the North Africa coast.

The balloon was filled with hydrogen (not easy to get) rather than the more obtainable helium. They calculated a precise amount of hydrogen required to keep the payload at around 100,000 feet.
Contact with the balloon was lost mid atlantic when it was out of range. When the flight neared Europe contact was resumed.
The flight time (using the Jetstream for high speeds up to 230MPH) was about 55 hours.
CNSP are planning to use Iridium for the next ocean crossing flight so 2 way comms will be possible throughout the flight, you don't need an Iridium phone as there are various companies making little shield modules that can do Iridium (http://www.cnsp-inc.com/our-introduction-to-iridium/).

For these kind of projects, very deep pockets are required.

adlambert

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:13 am

I'll just add that I've looked into doing a HAB flight myself and researched the basic ascent/take photos/burst/parachute flights that take an hour or two.

I came to the conclusion that the best approach is to get involved in a club and group that do this sort of thing rather than attempt to go solo. We can't all be Dave Akerman, I think he has an awful lot of experience behind him already.

rpiswag

Fri May 01, 2015 7:19 pm

For power I was thinking about using a Pi Juice solar because since the balloon will above the clouds and when the pi does drift into the non sun facing side of the earth the pi could go into a stand by mode of sorts and record but not transmit data unless requested my the computer on the ground.

kusti8

Fri May 01, 2015 7:27 pm

There is no standby mode. You can have it not record anything, but for it to receive a signal to start, it had to have active radio/whatever else you're using.

Honestly, I think that your project is too far fetched, Google recently got 100 days, but they have a big budget and many engineers...
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

rpiswag

Fri May 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Then what is a good goal (flight time)? I have already launched one on my own that flew for a little over a day and that was great but I want to extend that time.

rpiswag

Mon May 04, 2015 3:46 am

I was thinking about using a 8 foot weather balloon that can carry about 10 pounds or 4.5 Kg. Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Qual ... A7FY4P9XHW . Is this balloon a good balloon or is there a better balloon for $19? I only plan to lift about 2 to 3 pounds at most. I also chose this balloon because as it gets higher up and the helium expands it won't pop at the altitude I want it to stay at. How long before the balloon leaks enough helium for the payload to start sinking?

ame

Mon May 04, 2015 4:43 am

I think this one is better. And cheaper too!
http://www.balloonmaniacs.com/big-giant ... n-25-x-33/

rpiswag

Mon May 04, 2015 10:49 am

That was funny but seriously do you think I picked the best weather balloon for $19 to $25 on Amazon.com? If you know of a better one for $19 to $20 on Amazon please post a link. At first I wanted to buy the 350g Hwoyee HY-350 but I could find a place on the internet to buy it. Do you know where I could buy the 350g Hwoyee HY-350?

daveake

Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:45 pm

100 days with a latex balloon?

Not happening. Latex degrades. Longest flight I know of with Latex was about 3 days. Generally they pop at the start of the second day.

For 100 days you need a plastic balloon, and either a lot of money (£20,000) for a large one, or skill in making your own. You will also need lot of skill in designing a lightweight radio tracker that will survive for that long whilst running from solar power.

The longest such flight I know of by an amateur was 33 days, and this was the culmination of 66 flights honing the design of tracker and balloon.

You are not going to just buy a balloon and fly it for 100 days.

rpiswag

Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:22 pm

Thank you for your knowledge but what about a nylon based balloon? What balloon can you buy for $150 or about 133.45 Euros that will survive a 100 day flight?

Jednorozec

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:54 am

Why don't you buy a hot air balloon and see if you can get around the world in 100 days?
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

BMS Doug

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:38 am

Jednorozec wrote:Why don't you buy a hot air balloon and see if you can get around the world in 100 days?
Every now and then I click the little "display this post" link and read what rpiswag has said, then I nod to myself and say, "yes, that's why he's on the ignore list".
daveake wrote:100 days with a latex balloon?

Not happening. Latex degrades. Longest flight I know of with Latex was about 3 days. Generally they pop at the start of the second day.

For 100 days you need a plastic balloon, and either a lot of money (£20,000) for a large one, or skill in making your own. You will also need lot of skill in designing a lightweight radio tracker that will survive for that long whilst running from solar power.

The longest such flight I know of by an amateur was 33 days, and this was the culmination of 66 flights honing the design of tracker and balloon.

You are not going to just buy a balloon and fly it for 100 days.
rpiswag wrote:Thank you for your knowledge but what about a nylon based balloon? What balloon can you buy for $150 or about 133.45 Euros that will survive a 100 day flight?

None, to buy a balloon that will last 100 days would cost about £20000 (27754.97Euros, $31011.80 US).

If a skilled amateur (66 previous flights) can't manage more than 33 days then you won't be able to either (or realistically get anywhere close to even 33 days).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

marked

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:51 am

BMS Doug wrote:If a skilled amateur (66 previous flights) can't manage more than 33 days then you won't be able to either (or realistically get anywhere close to even 33 days).
Are you talking about Leo Bodnar's B-64 (MOXER-4)? That launched in mid-July 2014 and terminated somewhere over Iceland near the end of November that year, so around 18 weeks. It circumnavigated the globe about 8 times, including a trip around the North Pole.

Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to pull the data out of APRS.fi (too large a date range), or habhub.

BMS Doug

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:57 am

marked wrote: Are you talking about Leo Bodnar's B-64 (MOXER-4)? That launched in mid-July 2014 and terminated somewhere over Iceland near the end of November that year, so around 18 weeks. It circumnavigated the globe about 8 times, including a trip around the North Pole.

Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to pull the data out of APRS.fi (too large a date range), or habhub.
I don't know, I was pulling data from Dave Akerman's quote as it seems that rpiswag had made no attempt to read or understand it.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

morphy_richards

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:20 am

Reminds me of the time Sir Francis Drake circumcised the world with a 100ft clipper. ;)

DougieLawson

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:23 am

BMS Doug wrote: I don't know, I was pulling data from Dave Akerman's quote as it seems that rpiswag had made no attempt to read or understand it.
There is the reason why rpiswag is on my ignore list.

That's where he/she differs from young Kusti8 and young Bertwert, they both pay attention to the stuff we're giving them and give sane and sensible feedback or come back with sane and sensible follow-on questions.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

adlambert

Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:51 pm

Have patience people.

None of us knows the full facts about who we are dealing with on an internet discussion site, and what personal constraints they are facing. (written as tactfully as I could manage)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:57 pm

adlambert wrote:Have patience people.

None of us knows the full facts about who we are dealing with on an internet discussion site, and what personal constraints they are facing. (written as tactfully as I could manage)
Quite. Please keep it polite and on topic.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”