CaptSunset

What do YOU want from Win10 on Pi 2B?

Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:02 pm

The grapevine says Microsoft has acquired at least several hundred new Pi mobos, so it seems Redmond really is actively trying to get the Win10 OS onto an SD card for the ARMv7 sometime soon.

Apparently, it is also not going to be some sort of RT castoff. Nothing has been said yet about the things that are usually needed to make windows machines practical for the mainstream: antivirus programs, printer drivers, touchscreen interface, etc.

This means something of a coming seachange for the Raspberrian/Linux Users :cry: as they can easily feel this is an unwarranted Humpty Dumpty intrusion of proprietary programs and (I quote) "moronic mainstream users"...

I better point out that The Raspberry Pi Foundation has supported the addition of Win 10 to our available OSs. (So please keep any fanboy anger from either side to a minimum.)

Now is an opportunity to let Microsoft know what you do (or don't) want in a Win 10 feature set- for example, they prob'ly don't yet even know the extent of the various Pi communities, like the DIY crowd.

Remember, Windows 10 will be removable with a click of an SD card. That works both ways. ;)

For me, I'd like Microsoft to be respectful of all that has been accomplished here, and even generate a 'linux mode' to support the coder's original mission.

joan

Re: What do YOU want from Win10 on Pi 2B?

Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Personally I don't care. I'm quite prepared to wait and see.

ghans

Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:29 pm

I'm very interested how they will incorporate hardware
acceleration (3D AND video) .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Joe Schmoe

Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:59 pm

The cold fact is that if it doesn't run standard x86 Win apps, it ain't gonna be worth much.

Now, does that make me a Windows fanboi - or a Linux fanboi - or both - or neither.

(I consider myself to be both)
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

marked

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:11 pm

They might do the same as they did with the IoT (intel galileo board) which was to give a board and the OS/compiler away free to applicants through the Insider Program.

Mind you it seemed that most of hotukdeals members got there first for the UK batch. I have no idea how many actually ended up using it...

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:11 pm

NOTHING WHATSOEVER
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Joe Schmoe

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:13 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:NOTHING WHATSOEVER
Heh heh. Yeah, my first reaction upon seeing this thread title was:

For it to go away and for people to stop talking about it.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

xoopha

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:16 pm

I, for one, want it to come out already so anyone can see what an IoT Windows 10 version really means.

Djinny

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:52 pm

What do i want from windows 10?
Short list:
Cortana: A usb or GPIO microphone, and Cortana to help make stuff voice controlled.
Ease of use. Linux isn't exactly that easy for me to use, my memory is really bad so i regularly forget how to do rather simple tasks. Windows is pretty straight forward so i'm wanting that. Having to keep a big lists of all the sudo commands i'd need to use can be a pain. Even something as simple as uninstalling an app, or making a desktop shortcut can be a pain in the butt.

The ease of use pretty much covered everything, a working android OS could have solved that for me, but maybe not for most people.
My RPi needs a fan, heat will leech into the battery, so people saying I don't need a fan, don't understand how Li-Po batteries are affected by high temps. Cool pi = cool battery.
I would very much so like to see a Pi2/Pi3 Zero, power and size.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:06 pm

Please will someone go take a lookat Intel Galileo Development Platform which is used for MS x86 platform IoT App Development

https://ms-iot.github.io/content/

Now replace the Galileo with Raspberry Pi to give ARM platform

Now we can stop the pi in the sky imaginations and wants :roll: :roll: :roll:

Regards the comment about RT Castoff, it has been widely publicised that WindowsRT will have one major update then killed off.
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

eriktheitalian

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Open source with not close guarantee.

Microsoft news is good extra for raspberry selling numbers. I'm not care microsoft.
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

mimi123

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:32 am

IoT would be very useful if there is not signature checks
You can run WindowsRT on RPi with KVM(it needs a GIC) or maybe write a specific HAL from scratch

Heater

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:13 am

I want it to fail miserably.

This is targeted at the "Internet of Things" applications. Why would we want our things dependent closed source proprietary software?

The Pi is predicated on an educational mission. There is nothing educational about closed source proprietary software.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

mimi123

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:46 am

Heater wrote:I want it to fail miserably.

This is targeted at the "Internet of Things" applications. Why would we want our things dependent closed source proprietary software?

The Pi is predicated on an educational mission. There is nothing educational about closed source proprietary software.
The NT kernel is educationnal. You can actually even write your own subsystem with some work.It is half-a-microkernel,after all.

rpdom

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:48 am

What I want is for people to stop speculating/bashing/ranting with no information - until it does get released and we can get to judge an actual product and decide how good/bad it is.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:54 am

What I want is for this thread to be locked before it goes completely bonkers.

Ah yes, that's one want I can get right away!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”