Forrrge

DVI KVM Switch for sharing monitor between RPi and PC

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:05 am

My monitor has two inputs one DVI the other VGA, at first I was thinking about using one of those DVI to VGA converters discussed in another thread. But then thought that a simple DVI switch might be a better option before toying with the idea of using a KVM switch to share screen keyboard and mouse between PC and RPi. This is what I've found, any thoughts, cheaper options etc

DVI Switch Box

DVI KVM Switch

clickykbd

Re: DVI KVM Switch for sharing monitor between RPi and PC

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:42 am

both those are relatively "cheap" as far as the kvm market goes. You'd be hard pressed to find much any cheaper. Valid approach.

I'd go with a KVM variety unless your only goal is a set-top box and it will have it's own wireless keyboard/remote. However the one you post will still require a HDMI to DVI adapter. You might look for a HDMI kvm, if your other computer supports HDMI, then you would adapt it on the monitor end if need be?

Forrrge

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:46 am

Thanks, yup a HDMI to DVI cable can be bought for a couple of pounds, think I'll probably go the KVM route. Just getting ideas at the moment, my RPi is still about 8 weeks from being delivered ;)

Reider

Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:34 pm

I use "Input Director", a software KVM switch which is free and primarilly for Windows use. Basically my main computer is the Master and set on its own internal LAN IP, the laptop and/or any other machine has its own LAN IP and is set as a Slave. These are named in Windows so I have Main-PC, Steve-PC, Lappy-PC etc. I move my mouse seamlessly from main computer left monitor to right monitor, to Laptop and back. I can set it to come back from the left or the right or both. I can use the same keyboard/mouse to operate all of them.

I`ve never tried to get it working on the Pi and not sure if it supports Linux. but another similar, untried version, called Synergy puports to work on Linux too. Not so strange because I have my Android Phone set so I can move my cursor to that too. Both programs are free, worth a dabble and maybe get one working with the RasPi.......

http://www.inputdirector.com/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/synergy2/

Steve

Forrrge

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:20 pm

@Reider. looks as if you still need two monitors for the software approach to work? I guess if you were going to use software you could use SSH/VNC ?

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:29 pm

Two criteria you probably want to watch out for...

Besides DVI, you need the KVM switch to use USB for the keyboard and mouse.

Many inexpensive KVM switches are passive, or optionally passive devices. That is, they get ehir one power from the systems connected to them. The Pi really wouldn't have power to spare for that. You want to make sure that the KVM has it's own power supply.

I'm routing video through a Trendnet TK-802R, but since it uses PS/2 for the keyboard and mouse, I can't use it for full control of a Pi...at least not without a powered USB hub (which I'm considering just to be able to put the Pi connection to my normal keyboard).

Return to “General discussion”