KingDavid73

Raspberry Pi 2 RCA audio / video question

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:24 pm

All older models had separate ports for audio and rca video, but now they're combined into one.

Would a standard y-splitter work to get both audio and video out of the same port? I'd test it out, but I'm also waiting on the micro SD cards I ordered since the new model doesn't take standard SD anymore.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 RCA audio / video question

Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:19 pm

KingDavid73 wrote:All older models had separate ports for audio and rca video, but now they're combined into one.

Would a standard y-splitter work to get both audio and video out of the same port? I'd test it out, but I'm also waiting on the micro SD cards I ordered since the new model doesn't take standard SD anymore.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=92775
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

lumsdot

Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:49 pm

Im also confused about the audio/video socket.
Im using HDMI to my LCD computer monitor (so no sound)
so connect a normal 3.5mm 3 pin audio jack into pi audio/video and then the other end into my amplified speakers.
I use a piece of plastic stuck into the socket to cover the video pin which is designed for the 4th pin of the 4 pin 3.5mm jack. i.e. to stop the video being shorted on my 3 pin audio jack.
Do i need to bother with the piece of plastic, i.e is the video out disabled so connecting a 3 pin audio jack just for sound will work ok?
Tempted to take a soldering iron to PI and fix Audio/Video jack so its just Audio only.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:24 am

lumsdot wrote:Im also confused about the audio/video socket.
so connect a normal 3.5mm 3 pin audio jack into pi audio/video and then the other end into my amplified speakers.
I use a piece of plastic stuck into the socket to cover the video pin which is designed for the 4th pin of the 4 pin 3.5mm jack. i.e. to stop the video being shorted on my 3 pin audio jack.
Do i need to bother with the piece of plastic, i.e is the video out disabled so connecting a 3 pin audio jack just for sound will work ok?
Tempted to take a soldering iron to PI and fix Audio/Video jack so its just Audio only.
Only the last connector of the TRRS4 is Video, therefore a standard TRRS3 will just output Audio, so just use the Male Audio Plug as normal, it s clearly shown in the documentation :(

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:24 am

lumsdot wrote:Im also confused about the audio/video socket.
Only the last connector of the TRRS4 is Video, therefore a standard TRRS3 will just output Audio, so just use the Male Audio Plug as normal, it s clearly shown in the documentation :(

rpdom

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:02 am

lumsdot wrote:Do i need to bother with the piece of plastic, i.e is the video out disabled so connecting a 3 pin audio jack just for sound will work ok?
You don't need to worry about a piece of plastic or modifying the jack.

The video output circuit is designed so that it will not be damaged by being shorted to ground. That pin layout was chosen so that you can use a standard audio jack without any problems.

lumsdot

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:14 am

Ok thanks

Return to “General discussion”