eriktheitalian

Re: POE support on Rpi 3

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:58 am

riklaunim wrote:
eriktheitalian wrote:my priority:

Important:
1) videocore driver (http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/VC4/)
2) usb 3.0 ( lots of usb 3.0 hardware not stable like usb 2.0. we need stable usb 3.0 )
Only some high end ARM SoCs implement USB3 (and all Intel/AMD low power SoCs?) so 2 would quite likely already exclude 1 and use a SoC with high tier Mali or nVidia GPU. As those high end SoCs aren't cheap you would just get a relatively expensive board (some are already available). New technologies is not Raspberry Pi goal ;)
Nec chip based pciexpress usb 3.0 cards selling for 11$. Last customer price with pi sized board. Price is not big problem. But i'm not know which usb chip compatible with integrating with broadcom arm soc. I'm not know is there enough data-path.

5 million raspberry pi sold.
I'm not know pi2 selling numbers. If usb 3.0 addon possible. Then lots of user can buy it.
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:34 am

The Bcm2836 doesn't really have anywhere to plug a USB3.0 chip in to. Might be possible over the SMI I suppose, but not sure. And of course, even if the chip was $2, that would add $2 to the price of EVERY Pi, to the detriment of everyone who doesn't use it.

The Foundation weather station uses PoE adapters to provide power. Fairly cheap option fort those that need it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

RaTTuS

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:43 am

POE injectors work fine for anything that really needs POE
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

eriktheitalian

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:19 am

jamesh wrote:The Bcm2836 doesn't really have anywhere to plug a USB3.0 chip in to. Might be possible over the SMI I suppose, but not sure. And of course, even if the chip was $2, that would add $2 to the price of EVERY Pi, to the detriment of everyone who doesn't use it.
Optional usb 3.0 addons can be more expensive. This is not including default raspberry board. We can add camera. We can add audio codec board. There is display related special port. There is camera related port. May be, engineers can add usb 3.0 expansion slot.

I'm examined usb 3.0 included developer boards. They are very expensive ones.
Samsung and intel (giants) selling their usb 3.0 developer hardware for very expensive prices. ( 100$ and more )
Usb 3.0 is their expensive equipment selling strategy.

If raspberry can give usb 3.0 possibility for extra 20$. Giants can hunting flies.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:02 pm

It wouldn't be just the cost of USB 3.0 hardware. IIRC. USB 3.0 is supposed to be able to provide 900mA per port, so the board would have to handle more power. Even on the A+, B+ and Pi2B, the designs are pushing past the specification limits for microUSB connectors, so boosting the power for the board would--besides more capable power regulators-require a different power connector.

It's not so much the cost of USB 3.0 circuitry on the chip as the cost of everything else that would have to change.

jamesh

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:43 pm

As above, I'm not sure there is an interface on the 2836 to which you can attached a USB3.0 device, but if there was, it would require a complete board redesign.

Better to have it on the SoC itself.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Mandrewpi

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:05 pm

jamesh wrote:As above, I'm not sure there is an interface on the 2836 to which you can attached a USB3.0 device, but if there was, it would require a complete board redesign.

Who really needs a USB3.0 on a pi?
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

hampi

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:46 pm

Never used POE but it seems to have some advantages

http://www.instructables.com/id/Power-O ... onversion/

http://www.instructables.com/id/PiPoE-p ... -Ethernet/

So it means adding some modular 8P8C connectors and a DC power converter to the Raspberry Pi. Nice project but I understand that most of us want to keep it separate from the Pi. The DC power supply could implement also the Wake-On-Lan function in this case.

eriktheitalian

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:22 pm

jamesh wrote:As above, I'm not sure there is an interface on the 2836 to which you can attached a USB3.0 device, but if there was, it would require a complete board redesign.

U are right.

bullen

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:25 am

plugwash wrote: Like others here I find PoE on a future pi highly implausible, add up the cost of the beefier transformers, the control chip and the isolated DC-DC converters and you end up with something that adds a substantial chunk to the BoM cost of something like the Pi for an application that is outside the pi's core remit.
Again, you don't need to have any transforming if the PoE pushes 5 volt!

Standards are there to be broken. Short cables FTW.

About SATA, that's not necessary, as long as the USB chip can deliver 10MB or so over ethernet you can use network drives.
Last edited by bullen on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://github.com/tinspin/rupy - A tiny Java async HTTP application server.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:27 am

If people want to hack up their own ghetto-poe systems that is fine but there is no way I would advocate integrating such a system into a commerical device.

bullen

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:29 am

All it requires from the foundation is two leads from the ethernet port power to the board power. Hell at this speed you can use two leads on the ethernet port as dedicated power leads.

It's important to get the ball rolling on this in order to get the RPi cluster industry moving.
Last edited by bullen on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:31 am

bullen wrote:All it requires from the foundation is two leads from the ethernet port power to the board power.
And some heavy voltage regulation to drop 48V0 to 5V0.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

bullen

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:32 am

DougieLawson wrote:
bullen wrote:All it requires from the foundation is two leads from the ethernet port power to the board power.
Please read my post... we will use 5 volt PoE... no transformation, short cables.

Think outside of the box!

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:40 am

bullen wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
Please read my post... we will use 5 volt PoE... no transformation, short cables.

Think outside of the box!
But the PoE spec, which the RPF would have to stick to (or folks would fry their RPis) is 48V0. You can't say "We've got PoE, but by the way don't send 48V0 because we're expecting 5V0".
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

bullen

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:48 am

DougieLawson wrote: But the PoE spec, which the RPF would have to stick to (or folks would fry their RPis) is 48V0. You can't say "We've got PoE, but by the way don't send 48V0 because we're expecting 5V0".
You don't have to call it PoE, you can just say: "For the hacker/maker crowd out there, we added a way to power the Pi through the ethernet port so you can build your own ethernet switches with built in 5 volt transformator to save the planet and the human race from extinction." or something to that effect. ;)

BMS Doug

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:51 am

How would you guarantee exactly 5v0 (OK, not exactly but within +/- 5%) at the board when using PoE? The reason 48V is used is because of the volt drop in the Ethernet cable.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

gkreidl

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:55 am

bullen wrote: It's important to get the ball rolling on this in order to get the RPi cluster industry moving.
This "RPi cluster industry" does only exist in your mind.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:55 am

bullen wrote:
DougieLawson wrote: But the PoE spec, which the RPF would have to stick to (or folks would fry their RPis) is 48V0. You can't say "We've got PoE, but by the way don't send 48V0 because we're expecting 5V0".
You don't have to call it PoE, you can just say: "For the hacker/maker crowd out there, we added a way to power the Pi through the ethernet port so you can build your own ethernet switches with built in 5 volt transformator to save the planet and the human race from extinction." or something to that effect. ;)
Popycock & Balderdash

If you build a product and require certification it must stick to standards, that is why standards are agreed upon.

Say you built a product with 5V PoE and someone thought it was 48V who pays for the mistake when the RPi anihilates itself, this thread is as always airy-fairy
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

bullen

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:24 am

BMS Doug wrote:How would you guarantee exactly 5v0 (OK, not exactly but within +/- 5%) at the board when using PoE? The reason 48V is used is because of the volt drop in the Ethernet cable.
Short cables.
gkreidl wrote:This "RPi cluster industry" does only exist in your mind.
Yes, I know, but if you add the figures = 10x (1000%) cheaper to buy hardware + 7x (700%) cheaper to run hardware = Intel will be completely gone from the server market in 5 years time. If the foundation misses this revolution they will regret it, multi-billion dollar change.
fruitoftheloom wrote:If you build a product and require certification it must stick to standards, that is why standards are agreed upon.

Say you built a product with 5V PoE and someone thought it was 48V who pays for the mistake when the RPi anihilates itself, this thread is as always airy-fairy
Well, you can keep using USB 2, and the rest of the world will move on to USB type-C.

You don't need a PhD to make a standard. I made my own Java Servlet specification that is a lot better than the official and thousands of people use it.

Insurances and rules are a thing of the past. They require huge amounts of hydro carbons.
Last edited by bullen on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpdom

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:34 am

bullen wrote:
gkreidl wrote:This "RPi cluster industry" does only exist in your mind.
Yes, I know, but if you add the figures = 10x (1000%) cheaper to buy hardware + 7x (700%) cheaper to run hardware = Intel will be completely gone from the server market in 5 years time.
If there were a market for such a Pi based system, then it would be using custom boards and Compute Modules, not the standard Pi boards. PoE would not be required as the boards would have their own shared PSU.

bullen

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:37 am

rpdom wrote:If there were a market for such a Pi based system, then it would be using custom boards and Compute Modules, not the standard Pi boards. PoE would not be required as the boards would have their own shared PSU.
Yes, there will be, but that will take longer. Also the compute module is actually more expensive because of low volume now. And being able to service the parts yourself is important. That 50 compute module board might break all compute modules at once and it will be expensive so if it breaks that's bad and hard to repair. Also you want to be able to hot-swap any module, pulling an ethernet cable is easy, jacking that memory plug is harder.

The point here is, this will happen anyhow. Google, Facebook, Twitter and Amazon are already building it; they have to, with power bills of millions of dollars per month. When deflation hits hard, that is going to kill their business!
Last edited by bullen on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Heater

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:41 am

bullen,
It's important to get the ball rolling on this in order to get the RPi cluster industry moving.
Oh yeah, that is going to be huge. In Fantasy Land.

Frankly anyone putting bunch of Pi together in a crate who can't figure out how to power it all very easily via it's GPIO pins may as well not bother.

See here: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... h-the-gpio
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

RaTTuS

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:42 am

I think this thread has wandered into cloud cuckoo land ....

if you want to stack RPI's then PoE is not the easiest way to power them .. in fact PoE is good for stuff that is remote not close...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Heater

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:47 am

bullen,
If the foundation misses this revolution they will regret it, multi-billion dollar change.
1) The Pi is in no way suitable for the server industry as it stands.

2) You may have noticed that the Raspberry Pi Foundation is an educational charity not a corporation seeking to make billions.

3) The server market you speak of, think Google, Amazon, MS, server farms is being addressed by new 64 bit ARM designs. The 96boards specifications are aimed that way.

4) It is quite possible that a new runner on the block will address that space, the RISC V. There are many big companies including the likes of Samsung supporting that effort.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “General discussion”