duvmik

What to get

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:56 pm

New user, English not first language, Etc.

For a wild now I have been trying to make my backup system work. The only thing I need right now is a wireless bridge, and I'm not sure a raspberry pi is the right thing. I'm pretty sure it can do it but I don't know if it's overkill and I don't know if I can make it do it, I have not worked that much with linux. The range of the wireless dongle you can buy for it is also a concern.

I need some advice, should I buy one? If so, what model? What wireless dongle should I get? Is a raspberry pi overkill? If so, what else should I get? Buying hardware is so confusing!

Sorry if this is the wrong section, these forms are a bit overwhelming.

electronicsguy

Re: What to get

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm confused. If all you want is a wifi bridge, why not buy this? http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Dreambox ... B005OIB6XI
blog: https://electronicsguy.wordpress.com
github: https://github.com/electronicsguy

marked

Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:54 pm

search wifi n repeater on google, and get a list of bajillion £10/$15 300mbps wifi units that can act as a bridge/repeater/access point. Plugs directly into wall power, with ethernet one interface, and wifi the other.

You'll spend an hour banging your head to understand how to get DHCP to function but once done it works well as a wifi-ethernet bridge - I'm currently using one in this configuration:

pc (ethernet)-> pi -> wifi ---- wifi-repeater (ethernet) --(router) -- ISP

until I drop out the pi and replace it with another 300mbps unit.

Spend a little more and you can get 600mbps.

milkboy007

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:05 pm

marked wrote:search wifi n repeater on google, and get a list of bajillion £10/$15 300mbps wifi units that can act as a bridge/repeater/access point. Plugs directly into wall power, with ethernet one interface, and wifi the other......
i agree with it in general with that statement.
But here is my oponion in the matter.
ill write it so that it can be translated in google with ease

if you want easy solution, buy a wifi repeater or a router with repeater/bridge function.
PRO:
+ Easy to use
+ Most is cheaper than Raspberry Pi (complete with acessoiries i.e sdcard, hdmi cable, usb wifi)
, but some high end router can cost more than 100USD
Con:
- Single purpose
- most not customisable
- there is no community support for most device
- most cheaper device have weak CPU, small RAM & ROM generaly small (most have less than 64MB RAM/ 16 MB ROM)

if you want to understand how networking works, learn linux, have a device with many of uses, raspberry pi is a good good device to have.
You can always use it for other purpose if you dont need for your networking, like, but not limited to, Retro Game console, Minecraft, TV media player
PRO:
+ multipurpose device ( can act as a router, NAS, torrent box, server, network printing, etc.... simultaneously on a single device)
+ Good documentation, many tutorials
+ great community for support
+ 4 USB port = 1 for printer, 1 for hdd, 1 for wifi, 1 spare

Con:
- At times can be difficult for newcomer, but it gets easier once you get use to it
- cost more than most router / repeater read above.

if you want to have something in between, go for Openwrt compatible Router.
Most router should be cheaper than RPi and have more function that regular router/repeater.
it can be than RPi more difficult, due to its many number of hardware choices (in which solution or guide to differ from device to device), relatively higher technical documentaion.
but, like raspberry pi, once you get use to it it becomes easy, and they have a great community forum too.

In the end, it comes down to your planned setup and preference.
maybe if you give more detail about the "backup system". i can give better recomendation.......

duvmik

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:28 pm

electronicsguy wrote:I'm confused. If all you want is a wifi bridge, why not buy this? http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Dreambox ... B005OIB6XI
This is one of the problems I've been having when trying to find things online. Check its name "Wireless Wifi Bridge Dongle Wireless Access Points AP for Dreambox Xbox PS3 Network Printer Router ADSL IP Camera (Support Microsoft Windows Linux MAC OS )" that makes me very cautious when buying something. They are all like this, either he will have weird nonsensical names or contain no information on what they can actually do.
marked wrote:search wifi n repeater on google, and get a list of bajillion £10/$15 300mbps wifi units that can act as a bridge/repeater/access point. Plugs directly into wall power, with ethernet one interface, and wifi the other.

You'll spend an hour banging your head to understand how to get DHCP to function but once done it works well as a wifi-ethernet bridge - I'm currently using one in this configuration:

pc (ethernet)-> pi -> wifi ---- wifi-repeater (ethernet) --(router) -- ISP

until I drop out the pi and replace it with another 300mbps unit.

Spend a little more and you can get 600mbps.
Just gives me a lot of devices to extend your WiFi, which is not what I'm trying to do.
milkboy007 wrote:maybe if you give more detail about the "backup system". i can give better recomendation.......
A picture is worth 1000 words(well maybe not this one)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/316 ... iagram.png
both of the servers are synology disk Station
my backup works like this, once a week my computer takes a backup to server 1, then later server 1 takes a backup to server 2.
server 2 is only meant to be used if my house burns down... you can never have enough backup.
I just need something that can connect to my wireless, and then spit out a cable like nothing had happened.
And so far I haven't been able to find anything I can trust.

Bruny

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:25 am

duvmik wrote:Just gives me a lot of devices to extend your WiFi, which is not what I'm trying to do.
like this case :?:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 36&t=99150

milkboy007

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:20 am

Bruny wrote:
duvmik wrote:Just gives me a lot of devices to extend your WiFi, which is not what I'm trying to do.
like this case :?:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 36&t=99150
that should work, if you wanna go for RPi :D

then there is the openwrt router way
Explaination
HOW to setup
settting on WR703N

Personally, i Would choose RPi, like i said previously you can set it up to be something like make it a nas with 2.5 portable hdd

if money is the problem, OpenWRT router is a better choice (my recomendation for a router, TP-Link TL-WR703N cost ~20USD)
Since your NAS conector (i'm guessing) is an ethernet port, you just need a if you buy it a ethernet cable, nothing else.

i would choose either of these 2, not "Wireless Wifi Bridge Dongle Wireless Access Points AP for Dreambox Xbox PS3 Netw......", because that device doesnt give a detailed enough information. and its like buying blindly, so to speak.

hope this helps :)

P.S if you buy my router OpenWRT router, you can check the Openwrt supported devices, or ask me (reply here / PM). i'll be checking this thread for another day or two

bobstro

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:41 am

duvmik wrote:A picture is worth 1000 words(well maybe not this one)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/316 ... iagram.png
Many of the cheap travel routers will do exactly what you're looking for. I've used an apparently no-longer manufactured Edimax for years to connect wired devices to hotel wireless networks. This TP-Link version will be the next that I purchase based on positive comments from other users doing the same sort of thing.

Not to discourage you from using the RPi, but the little routers will be tough to beat for simplicity and cost.

milkboy007

Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:12 am

bobstro wrote: This TP-Link version will be the next that I purchase based on positive comments from other users doing the same sort of thing.
i would advise agaist that model, TP-LINK-TL-WR702N :|

go for WR703N, which cost ~5USD more, but has bigger ram and rom, thus making it openwrt compatible, should the stock firware provided by the tplink fail you.

bobstro

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:26 am

Thanks, Milk. I tend not to put a lot of effort into these things since I have a tendency to leave them behind in hotels. I've had good luck with the last one, but I left a few Edimax gifts behind in previous years.

Return to “General discussion”