robespierre

Re: Is Pi able to play streaming video ?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:07 pm

The video card of the Pi seems to be able to decode hd vidéo (1080 sure and 720p ?) But does the pi able to read streaming video on youtube ?

can theses video to be decode by the GPU ? because a 700mhz cpu may be slow in order to play this video ???

thanks!

ps: when will we can buy it ??????????

ffuentes

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Interesting question. I want to know it too.

But even if you can't use youtube with flash (I don't know if flash-plugin is available for ARM) you can still use other programs which open youtube videos and allows you to search on it.

amiga65

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:50 pm

ps: when will we can buy it ??????????
http://www.raspberrypi.org/?pa.....#038;t=768

nullstring

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Youtube uses h.264 for it's videos.
While we may not be able to play them in browser, we can definitely play them using mplayer.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:32 am

Quote from robespierre on October 18, 2011, 06:27
http://www.arm.com/about/newsr...../26062.php

The difficulty is that at the moment we have no integration from the Arm Flash player to the HW decode on the GP, so by default, Flash would be doing software decode on the Arm. This is a very platform specific thing (or was)

Some years ago I did do a Flash build on Arm with accelerated OpenVG on the GPU, but not sure what happened to that - it was an internal demo project. I never got round to accelerated video, and it was about 1fps, but on a old 300Mhz Arm.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

robespierre

Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:18 pm

On my old AMD duron 800mhz streaming video is bad in 360p and more, there is the 240p who is correct... in case of software decode on the ARM this will be the same... no? no a good news for me...

manfreed

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:52 am

Youtube doesn't need flash to play videos. There is html5 video support, and most of the modern browsers are has support for it.

darkcity

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:27 am

YouTube has started having WebM versions of new uploads-

http://www.engadget.com/2011/0.....ready-has/

Is WebM easier to implement on ARM than Flash?

mcscruff

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:58 am

There is arm versions of flash, but they are not official (i have 10.3 running on my armv6 mobile) , although not the same im sure it can be hacked to work

USvER

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:05 pm

As far as i know Broadcom is one of the partners in Open Screen Project... And broadcom incorporated Flash support in their STB devices... So this is just a matter of broadcom decision to share that!... And AFAIK broadcom is greedy and very closed... So i guess we will not get Flash with hardware acceleration on RasPi...

bakoolguy2

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm not an expert, but the Roku uses the same chip and does streaming video all day long.

http://www.roku.com/

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Quote from USvER on October 29, 2011, 13:05
As far as i know Broadcom is one of the partners in Open Screen Project... And broadcom incorporated Flash support in their STB devices... So this is just a matter of broadcom decision to share that!... And AFAIK broadcom is greedy and very closed... So i guess we will not get Flash with hardware acceleration on RasPi...

I know Broadcom is not the favourite company of a lot of open-source people, but it stands to be repeated: they've given us a huge amount of support by allowing their engineers to work on the project away from work time; selling us chips at bulk discount rates even though we're only buying them in piddling numbers; and generally supporting the project all the way up the company, through to the CEO. The charity wouldn't exist at all without Broadcom's generous help. Not really so "greedy", after all.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

USvER

Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Quote from liz on October 29, 2011, 15:26
I know Broadcom is not the favourite company of a lot of open-source people, but it stands to be repeated: they've given us a huge amount of support by allowing their engineers to work on the project away from work time; selling us chips at bulk discount rates even though we're only buying them in piddling numbers; and generally supporting the project all the way up the company, through to the CEO. The charity wouldn't exist at all without Broadcom's generous help. Not really so "greedy", after all.

I know that, and my post is not about this... it's just my try to leverage on this... because this is realy matters...
Still, question about Flash support on RasPi shuld be unswered... And it shuld be unswered by Broadcom...

liz

Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Gus - is that you? I don't think I've seen anyone else use ellipses like that, especially on this particular subject. If it is, could you please keep to using one username only?

USvER

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:03 pm

Nope, i'm definately not Gus... My name is Yuriy, i'm from Ukraine... ... ...

liz

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Apologies! Carry on as you were. 8)

jamesh

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:33 pm

It's not really Broadcom's problem if Adobe don't release generic Flash support for Arm, and I don't think they currently do. When you see it on devices such as Roku, Roku will have paid/licenced to use the Flash source (I think that's how it works). Broadcom may have ported the software and provided the link to any acceleration, but that would have been for the end customer (e.g. Roku) and be specific to the platform (not just the SoC). So accelerated flash support is customer specific, and not generic, and not available to others.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

liz

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks for that, Jamesh - I was leaving this one for you to answer! There have been more Flash questions in your absence; I'm very pleased you're back! (Hope you had a great trip.)

USvER

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:07 pm

Quote from jamesh on October 29, 2011, 20:33
It's not really Broadcom's problem if Adobe don't release generic Flash support for Arm, and I don't think they currently do. When you see it on devices such as Roku, Roku will have paid/licenced to use the Flash source (I think that's how it works). Broadcom may have ported the software and provided the link to any acceleration, but that would have been for the end customer (e.g. Roku) and be specific to the platform (not just the SoC). So accelerated flash support is customer specific, and not generic, and not available to others.

So you are saying that Broadcom STB's that do support hardware accelerated Flash are made with some another videocore? As i said before Adobe are working on ARM Flash support with many hardwsre companies in Open Street Project. Watch this http://tv.adobe.com/watch/open.....and-flash/
And broadcom among them. So i can say that broadcom does have ARM Flash support on their hardware... So question is: Do they share that with others... i think not... Cos they have much interest in this "new" business of smart TV's etc. And ofc they will lose much money if they will share this for free...

So no "innovation" for geeks...
This is my opinion about Broadcom and not RaspberryPi Fundation wich i find brilliant and true! Love you guyz! <3

PS: Flash for ARM is not something new... it is like two years already in production... Just look at the video release date... Open Screen Project started in May 2008 http://opensource.adobe.com/wi.....en+Project

liz

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:27 pm

The licensing and support is the problem (and it's a problem for Raspberry Pi, not Broadcom). Adobe sells licences to hardware companies like Raspberry Pi, not to the people making the chips inside that hardware, like Broadcom. The *capability* to run accelerated video is there in the chip, but to actually make that work we have to buy a licence for every single device we sell (which amounts to squillions of dollars) and get Adobe, not Broadcom, to provide the engineering magic to do the acceleration. It's not Broadcom's fault - if anything, it's ours for being cheapskates (but I prefer to blame Adobe, frankly).

USvER

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:22 am

Thank you for your clarification on this subject, this shuld be in FAQ or WIKI... This subject is not so hot now... but will definately be after release!

Let me ask one more question: Did you actualy asked Adobe about this? Maybe it's not so "closed" and "proprietary". I think Adobe can benefit from this... They can realy do good PR on this... And i think this is their main goal(spread their technology as much platform and devices as possible)...
I think you shuld make some kind of round table with Adobe and Broadcom... It shuld be fun! =)

In fact RaspberryPi is positioning as Device For Learning Computing... So adding AIR to this list will be so Desireable for Adobe to push their technology even more!... Can't se a reason why they will not cooperate with you guyz!

texasdex

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:57 pm

These topics are also relevant:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....#038;t=865
http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....#038;t=309
http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....#038;t=301

In short: yes, there will be a version of Flash available for it but it doesn't currently support video decode, and even if video decode is added it will probably never support the H.264 decode that is built into this chip, meaning that the decode will happen in software instead and be abysmally slow. Youtube has an option to use HTML5 with H.264 instead of Flash for their videos, so that site will probably work, but Hulu and Netflix will probably never be possible. People have said that the Roku II uses the same SOC that the Pi uses, but that's with a native client (rather than Flash or Silverlight) and with the H.264 hardware decode, neither of which are likely to happen on the Pi for licensing reasons.

At least that's what I understand from the official postings so far. Can somebody (jamesh?) confirm this understanding?

And yeah, this should really go in the FAQ, since as the above topics indicate, it is definitely frequently asked.

kendrick

Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:26 am

A bit of clarification on this, I was doing some poking around to see about youtube etc on wii linux. the answers they were getting is flash 7 was the last version that adobe released code on. Version 8 on you had to get a licence to flash as the retailer of a product in order to get it to work. wii like so many products will never get flash 8+ due to the licencing. wii2 is getting it when it comes out since that is a "current" product. Adobe is protecting its cash cow by how backwards compatibility is done. as it updates adobe versions it disables older players from using the media.

I believe this issue is due to the macromedia aquisition, macromedia did not require licencing. when adobe came in they came in with $ in their eyes.... I believe it was around v7-8 that they got aquired but cant remember for sure. I do know that adobe mucked things up good by putting version #'s in the file name instead of leaving it as flash.ocx breaks so many things and allows multiple versions of flash to confuse windows...

sanyigz

Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Is WebM easier to implement on ARM than Flash?

I think it's already done, since WebM is a free open source format, VLC player and mplayer knows it for sure. The problem is, the current implementation of these codecs are very inefficient, and using much cpu, at least on x86.

Return to “General discussion”