nullstring

Re: Devices that you will be purchasing for use with you Rpi

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:48 pm

I think it might be useful to see what specific products people are planning on purchasing for their Pi.

I need a powered USB hub, TV tuner, maybe an 802.11n adapter, small/slim usb keyboard, bluetooth dongle.

Of course with a $35 device, it\'d be nice if I could keep the cost of these devices to a minimum. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Looking at this device for the tv tuner:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mygica-U6012A-H ... 5ae2b2e0e2

For the other devices, I\'m not so sure yet. Powered USB hubs are still expensive for what they are. I might look into DIYing one. (Group buy anyone?)

EDIT: currently looking at this usb hub.http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-Plus-P ... AAA3nkFw==
or http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Hi-Speed-7 ... AAjqrlFw==

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Already got a USB GPS device. Still trying to make it work - fine on Ubuntu but when I rebuilt the kernel for Raspi I broke it somehow, and now trying to find enough time at work to redo the build.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jewesque

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:19 pm

+1 on the GPS and the powered USB power. I think I might get a USB touchscreen if I can find one, but I\'m fine with DIY\'ing a screen and touch plate if I need to.

I\'m also going to be very interested in finding ways to add reliable fast storage, so most likely a large USB thumb drive and a few other items. RF mouse and keyboard for sure.

Asmodeus

Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Powered USB hub.
Logilink Mini Bluetooth Keyboard. (expected on 2011-10-27)
3,5 Inch Mini LCD PAL/NTSC (640x480) rear view monitor.

ErvKosch

Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:54 pm

I was looking at a USB HD webcam for long exposure movies. Since there a breakout board planned I may hold off.

bnolsen

Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:27 pm

Hopefully all I need is a power supply. I may need a hub to be able to use keyboard/mouse/wireless, hopefully I can get away with not requiring a powered hub.

It would be nice if there might be a \"model C\" which would have 4 usb\'s instead of 2usb + ether, if that configuration is even possible that is.

obarthelemy

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:54 pm

Nothing.
- I already have micro-USB power supplies hanging around
- I\'ve got left over small SD cards
- I already have an HDMI monitor and USB keyboard and mouse. I\'ll set up my \"server\" Pi with that, then have it work headless via VNC.

I might also use a second Pi next to my main PC, powered from one of its USB ports. Probably remote-controlled too, but might take over my second screen if all goes well, to play videos, various dumb stuff, and \"hacking\". Will need an HDMI -> DVI cable and that\'s it.

Oops, a handful of those not-chewing gum things to stick the Pi somewhere ?

subminiature

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:35 am

Logitech nano receiver - as bluetooth keyboard like the Irxon consume batteries too quickly. The Logitech device also runs keyboard and mouse via one connector.
Web cam
Edimax wi-fi and bluetooth dongles (very tiny and work well, at least on a PC)
another SD slot
USB storage 1.8\" drive or USB stick
connect mobile phone/camera
TV stick would be nice (HD Freesat), but saving across a network might not work smoothly enough.
External 5+1 usb sound board - like Terratec DMX6FireUSB for sound sound, midi and mic inputs.

keildar2005

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:17 am

I picked up a powered usb hub on amazon for cheap
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FFZGCU

Beakster

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:19 am

Whatever it is I require to connect up it to another computer via JTAG for debugging. Some kind of voltage converter I think it is. I already have a USB-Serial adapter ready. Need to do a bit more research about it first though.

rovr138

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:16 am

I\'ve been lurking and I\'m anxiously waiting for it. Just created an account.

I\'m hoping on buying 2.

* For one, I only need a USB drive with about 16GB\'s of space. I\'m planning on using it as a download server. I\'m going to create a script that will monitor how full the drive is, turn on a PC I have acting as a NAS, transfer everything and delete the old files.

* For the second one, I\'m getting an Ethernet to Coax Bridge. I was still planning on getting it. (http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-MCAB1001- ... B001N85NMI), besides that I might buy an 8GB USB drive.

BenJ

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:39 am

I\'m going to need some way of making the HDMI connection work with my spare VGA LCD monitor, though I suppose it would be easier to find a used LCD with a DVI connection on Kijiji, then use one of HDMI-DVI adapters that came with the graphics cards that I bought. I might end up buying a snappy SD card, since that will improve boot times.

bnolsen

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:43 am

I\'ll need a keyboard with a usb port (or 2) and i have a wireless dongle already.
Any suggestions for a non craptastic wired keyboard with 2x usb ports??

Arbelzapf

Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:29 am

I\'d love to use a FiiO E10 with it to use the R-Pi as a near-audiophile thin-client in the drawer next to my side of the bed. http://www.headfonia.com/the-latest-mus ... sb-dacamp/

Just need to figure out a feasible input and display solution.

kme

Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:36 am

[quote]Quote from bnolsen on November 3, 2011, 02:43
I\'ll need a keyboard with a usb port (or 2) and i have a wireless dongle already.
Any suggestions for a non craptastic wired keyboard with 2x usb ports??[/quote]Google \"IBM keyboard USB hub\". They are not cheap and hard to get in non-US layout.

liamfraser280

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:34 am

@Arbelzapf the DAC looks great! Maybe a mobile phone app to control your music player of choice? Would need an old wireless adapter but would be better than a big screen and keyboard.

Also, it might be a good idea for people to check out FreeNX or NeatX rather than VNC as they are a lot more responsive (think of them as microsofts remote desktop for linux) :). You have to compile it to work on arm cpu\'s like on the BeagleBoard. But that bit of extra work pays off :)

As for what I\'ll be buying:
Power over Ethernet splitter so I can power it over ethernet cable :)
Micro USB cable and 3 short usb extension cables so I can wire power to the cables without getting a usb hub
Wireless N Adapter

and I\'ll be using it with a USB to IDE adapter with the 2.5 inch hard drive from the old laptop it will be replacing.

Oxwivi

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:54 am

I will certainly need to buy a USB keyboard to go with Pi. And I\'ve been wondering if I need a new monitor too. I\'m no expert in sockets and wires, but I sure as hell know that my monitor does not have any HDMI slot, only that blue video thingy (whatever it\'s called) that\'s attached to the video cards. Can anyone tell me if there\'s really a need for a new monitor?

davidgoodenough

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 am

I found a Samgung USB port expander which Overclockers had on special offer. It has 4 USB ports, a VGA port, an ethernet port, a serial port and audio in and out. All are supported by standard linux drivers and it cost me under £5 (exclusive of p&p). I have couple of intended uses for the Pi, and some of them will be headless, so this will be great for setting them up and testing them.

Arbelzapf

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:15 pm

[quote]@Arbelzapf the DAC looks great! Maybe a mobile phone app to control your music player of choice? Would need an old wireless adapter but would be better than a big screen and keyboard.[/quote]

That sounds like a good idea. I already use a remote app on my phone regularly for watching movies in bed, but it didn\'t occur to me yet to use it with the R-Pi

Montekuri

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:46 pm

[quote]Quote from Oxwivi on November 3, 2011, 09:54
I will certainly need to buy a USB keyboard to go with Pi. And I\'ve been wondering if I need a new monitor too. I\'m no expert in sockets and wires, but I sure as hell know that my monitor does not have any HDMI slot, only that blue video thingy (whatever it\'s called) that\'s attached to the video cards. Can anyone tell me if there\'s really a need for a new monitor?[/quote]
That blue video thingy is a VGA connector.
The R-Pi device doens\'t has a VGA connector. So, you can do one of 3 things:
- Use your television set with HDMI, or the Composite connector (that circular yellow one) as monitor;
- Buy a new monitor with HDMI or DVI-d connector;
- Or, buy a RCA to VGA converter and use your old monitor.

Montekuri

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:46 pm

[quote]Quote from Oxwivi on November 3, 2011, 09:54
I will certainly need to buy a USB keyboard to go with Pi. And I\'ve been wondering if I need a new monitor too. I\'m no expert in sockets and wires, but I sure as hell know that my monitor does not have any HDMI slot, only that blue video thingy (whatever it\'s called) that\'s attached to the video cards. Can anyone tell me if there\'s really a need for a new monitor?[/quote]
That blue video thingy is a VGA connector.

The R-Pi device doens\'t has a VGA connector. So, you can do one of 3 things:
- Use your television set with HDMI, or the Composite connector (that circular yellow one) as monitor;
- Buy a new monitor with HDMI or DVI-d connector;
- Or, buy a RCA to VGA converter and use your old monitor.

I am just giving some ideas. Not final solutions.

Oxwivi

Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:50 pm

Yes, I made a separate thread for that. Don\'t have a TV, the converter is best bet.

duncan_pereira

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:08 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wired--up-v1-3A ... 939&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-US ... 031&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wired--up-Ether ... 072&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Wirele ... 241&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-K360-W ... 142&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Charger ... 168&sr=8-2

By my crude calculations, this comes to 49 pounds + Delivery and consists of the bare minimum you could get away with using with the Pi. The wireless keyboard and mouse arrived yesterday and are excellent but I suppose it\'s a matter of choice. All I need now is the Pi and an SD Card

Thunder__X

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Already bought a $6 usb nano wifi dongle, $5 usb hub, and a $5 usb mouse.

crundy

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:25 am

I\'ve already bought a Tenda Wireless Adapter, because it was the one they were testing the alpha boards with.

Return to “General discussion”