cia48621793

Re: How much does actually Pi 2 cost?

Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:30 pm

pluggy wrote:They've just advertised for a new charity CEO at £100k a year.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Raspber ... story.html
hundred thousands for a CEO/year? It seems the foundation is not a crazy at money at all...

Back to the front, how do you guys think that the teardown price will be?
So here's my meaningless guess: (In USD)
  • CPU: $10 (Most precious part of our amazing computer)
  • RAM: $10 ($5 for each 512M)
  • USB: $1-$2 (the USB controller that a Arduino could use in my homeland is only sold for $2...But it's China-pirated product I think)
  • GPIO: $1 (Just some pins and circuit)
  • RJ45: $0.5 (LAN Controller came with USB IC so only a coat is needed)
  • HDMI: $0.8
  • Micro-USB input: $0.3 (With capacitor included)
  • MicroSD: $0.6
  • RCA: $0.2
  • Audio: $0.5 (with independent chip)
  • Factory fee: $1.2-$2.2
  • = 28.1
  • VAT: 10%
So that was $30.91 or $31 maybe, that was not bad at all I guess...At least 10 million is way enough to generate...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:43 pm

you forget the six layer PCB! Its not free! Actually It can be quite expensive!
You also seemed to have forgotten the LAN9512 USB-HUB and USB-Ethernet interface chip, The crystal, several connectors, LED's, and dozens of other SMT parts, including the power circuitry. But I applaud your effort.

And 10% vat isn't included in the $35 end user price.

Lob0426

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:35 pm

Farnell and RS are probably seeing a 25% to 30% return on each Pi. Otherwise they would not be worth making. The foundation is probably getting $2 or less per Pi. That still adds up at 5 million!

My guess is actual cost is right around $20 per B model and around $12 for an A+.

They are making a profit or they would not make them! I guess that total profits for the raspberry Pi's would be $65 million. Total production costs would be around $90 million. So somewhere around $155 million has be spent on Raspberry Pi's. The lion share are B models at $35. The A models only sold about 100K the A+ has probably done much better. Not all RasPii are sold at $25, $20 or $35. Many are sold at $5 or more higher cost by secondary retailers.

These are all just guesses as no one is going to release the figures to the public. Raspberry Pi are a fair price or 5 million would not have sold!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

jdunson

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:30 pm

One of the more interesting clues recently is the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L991wyOHTJ4 Raspberry Pi Guy interview with Eben Upton. Starting around 5:48, they talk about the Pi 2 A; Eben specifically says that they could make a list $25 Pi 2 A w/ 512 MB RAM right now, but they really want to keep the list $20 price point and "the maths don't work out", so will wait a bit. He implies that the cost of a Pi 2 A today would be just over $20, but they expect that to come down with time (hopefully 2016). What isn't clear is whether that "just over $20" is before or after the manufacturer's profit, etc.; he's head of Pi Trading, so he's well aware of all that but it's not clear which sort of numbers he's quoting.

He also points out that they've considered a Pi 2 A with only 256 MB RAM, but rejected it as not useful enough. (I have to agree with them; for certain uses on a multi-core chip you have to look at RAM per core, and with the new quad-core that would be only 64 MB per core, which is going to be tight for most of the things you'd want a Pi for rather than a microcontroller.) This sort of implies that the RAM difference makes enough of a price difference that it might matter to squeezing things into a $20 list price or not.

So, subtract the cost of a single USB jack and 512 MB Ram chip; then add a 1 GB RAM chip, two double USB jacks, an Ethernet jack "with magnetics", and the LAN/USB chip. Add a bit for larger 6-layer board, and some misc supporting passives. (Random question: IIRC the Welsh plant makes B-sized Pi as a 6-pack; is the A-sized Pi made as an 8-pack?)

cia48621793

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:25 am

jdunson wrote:One of the more interesting clues recently is the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L991wyOHTJ4 Raspberry Pi Guy interview with Eben Upton. Starting around 5:48, they talk about the Pi 2 A; Eben specifically says that they could make a list $25 Pi 2 A w/ 512 MB RAM right now, but they really want to keep the list $20 price point and "the maths don't work out", so will wait a bit. He implies that the cost of a Pi 2 A today would be just over $20, but they expect that to come down with time (hopefully 2016). What isn't clear is whether that "just over $20" is before or after the manufacturer's profit, etc.; he's head of Pi Trading, so he's well aware of all that but it's not clear which sort of numbers he's quoting.

He also points out that they've considered a Pi 2 A with only 256 MB RAM, but rejected it as not useful enough. (I have to agree with them; for certain uses on a multi-core chip you have to look at RAM per core, and with the new quad-core that would be only 64 MB per core, which is going to be tight for most of the things you'd want a Pi for rather than a microcontroller.) This sort of implies that the RAM difference makes enough of a price difference that it might matter to squeezing things into a $20 list price or not.

So, subtract the cost of a single USB jack and 512 MB Ram chip; then add a 1 GB RAM chip, two double USB jacks, an Ethernet jack "with magnetics", and the LAN/USB chip. Add a bit for larger 6-layer board, and some misc supporting passives. (Random question: IIRC the Welsh plant makes B-sized Pi as a 6-pack; is the A-sized Pi made as an 8-pack?)
With Pi 2 A+ I could definitely make a PiPhone, but I doubt if 512MB of memory could power Android at all...

PiPiper

Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:43 am

The point of the foundation is to be able to provide the Pi for educational purpose! They don't sell the Pi to make money for some other purpose.

pluggy

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:02 am

For the uses that the A+ is put to, they would be better just leaving it as is. A multi core processor and more memory (and the increased current consumption that goes along with it) will do it few favours in my book. If you want something approaching a desktop, buy a 2, if you can live with one USB and want the meagre power consumption get an A+. Because sure as hell, the A+ will be a dead duck in no time, just like the B+ is now. Not everyone buys a Pi to surf the web on, where a fast processor and lots of memory are requisite, you need b*gger all of either for many of the jobs the A+ is put to. The envisaged 128 MB of ram the original A was going to have (back when the B was 256) would have been more than adequate for much work.

The Arduino Uno still sells well and that has a massive 2k of RAM (not terrabytes, gigabytes or even megabytes - old school kilobytes)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

marked

Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:58 pm

Wouldn't the HDMI cost be higher because of licensing fees?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:15 pm

marked wrote:Wouldn't the HDMI cost be higher because of licensing fees?
yes, the cost needs to include the HDMI licence fee AND the H264 licence fee. It's not all HW costs.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”