RWMills
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:39 pm

I'm currently running Jessie with Postfix, Dovecot, Squirrelmail, plus Spamasssassin and Sieve (for spam filtering) on a Pi2 that uses a share on my NAS to hold the users emails. I have noticed that a high level of writes are performed on the MicroSD and am after reducing this a much as possible (preferably to zero).

If I added a USB HDD and installed Diet Pi then would I still be able to install the packages I need and still take advantage of Diet Pi's features?

This box replaces my family’s BT Mail accounts (we left BT this month and wanted to stay away from Google Mail, Yahoo Mail, and other webbased services).

fourdee4d
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK
Contact: Website

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:57 pm

RWMills wrote: If I added a USB HDD and installed Diet Pi then would I still be able to install the packages I need and still take advantage of Diet Pi's features?
Yes. DietPi is a minimal image at its core. Allows both apt-get installations and manual configuration, aswell as DietPi-Software (optimized/ready to run) installations.

If you do experience any issues, please post on here and i'll assist you.
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

RWMills
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:51 am

fourdee4d wrote:If you do experience any issues, please post on here and i'll assist you.
Thanks Dan, I might be taking you up on that offer.
Well, I know what I'll be doing the next few days.
Should be easier/quicker this time because I should know what I'm doing :lol:

fourdee4d
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK
Contact: Website

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Image

v114 Released!

http://DietPi.com



Tor WiFi Hotspot:
Turn your device into a WiFi HotSpot/Access point with Tor routing. Perfect for the Raspberry Pi 3 with its built in WiFi and users requiring privacy.
http://fuzon.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... 1529#p1529

EmonPi:
Ultra lightweight alternative installation for the emonPi addon board. Find out your energy usage with the open energy monitor project, with web interface its all good fun :)
http://fuzon.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... 1525#p1525

Change Log:
http://fuzon.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349#p1530


Follow us on Twitter:
Get the latest news, updates and releases.
http://twitter.com/dietpi_
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

MostHated
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:54 am

Which version as the absolute minimum needed to run simply a single x11 session with a java application using USB toSerial JSSC (if possible FTDI D2XX?) via an external screen? I pretty much need nothing else except SSH and a static IP to optimize boot time to single digits if I can for an automotive project.

GIGANTE
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:52 am

Hy!

I'm having a problem right now. I can't install any software because the http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ it's down, so whenever i try dietpi-software I can't reach the software list because dietpi always do a check for internet access first... You need to disable this. If I test google.com it says online but when I exit dietpi network options he always does a test on http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wich is offline right now so if you could change this part somehow it would be great.

Rich.T.
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:44 pm
Location: South East UK

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:22 am

GIGANTE wrote:Hy!

I'm having a problem right now. I can't install any software because the http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ it's down, so whenever i try dietpi-software I can't reach the software list because dietpi always do a check for internet access first... You need to disable this. If I test google.com it says online but when I exit dietpi network options he always does a test on http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wich is offline right now so if you could change this part somehow it would be great.
Confirmed: I just tried an apt update on my a diet(Pi) and get:
Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie Release.gpg
Cannot initiate the connection to mirrordirector.raspbian.org:80 (2001:41c9:1:3ce::11). - connect (101: Network is unreachable) [IP: 2001:41c9:1:3ce::11 80]
I'm sure it'll be up again soon.
Maybe checking connectivity by pinging google instead might be a good idea, but most (if not all) of the installation options invoke an apt update anyway, so I'm not sure this will help very much; the installer might fail to get latest versions of dependencies in some cases.
It might be more worthwhile waiting for a while before attempting an install if your apt cache is out of date.

EDIT: Tested at 13:03 GMT and confirmed working again. :)
Last edited by Rich.T. on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rich.T.
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:44 pm
Location: South East UK

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:51 am

MostHated wrote:Which version as the absolute minimum needed to run simply a single x11 session with a java application using USB toSerial JSSC (if possible FTDI D2XX?) via an external screen? I pretty much need nothing else except SSH and a static IP to optimize boot time to single digits if I can for an automotive project.
Check out https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=0

Code: Select all

General Stats         | Description                                     | DietPi       | Raspbian Lite | Test Notes
Bootup Time (Seconds) | How long it takes the display the login prompt. | 14.2 Seconds | 15.5 Seconds  | RPi v2, Sandisk Extreme 16gb
I'm not sure about single-figure boot-up times, but these are Dan's most up-to-date test results AFAIK.

EDIT: I believe that this is a Raspbian Jessie test.
I think that the latest versions are fastest, but I'm not sure.
Perhaps you should try over-clocking your CPUs and timing it.
Please post back your results: I'd be really interested. :)
Also: Post some details about your project and let us know how you get on.
I'm really interested in automotive stuff and think it'd be cool to connect a Pi 3 to my vehicle's CAN bus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus).

MostHated
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:44 pm

Rich.T. wrote: EDIT: I believe that this is a Raspbian Jessie test.
I think that the latest versions are fastest, but I'm not sure.
Perhaps you should try over-clocking your CPUs and timing it.
Please post back your results: I'd be really interested. :)
Also: Post some details about your project and let us know how you get on.
I'm really interested in automotive stuff and think it'd be cool to connect a Pi 3 to my vehicle's CAN bus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus).
Thanks for the reply, that is exactly what I am working on, lol. I have found a distro called Minibian, which I am able to get it from power on to in to the TunerStudio applcation in 12 seconds, but I keep running in to FTDI D2XX and JSSC driver issues with both Minibian and DietPi, yet it works fine on Raspbian (but Raspian lite takes 19 seconds to boot fully in to the application), so I am trying to figure out what is missing from either DietPi or Minibian. : /

Using a Megasquirt standalone ECU
Image

A stimulator board to emulate a vehicle
Image

and a CAN Bus reader on my pi.
Image

fourdee4d
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK
Contact: Website

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:17 pm

MostHated wrote:but I keep running in to FTDI D2XX and JSSC driver issues with both Minibian and DietPi, yet it works fine on Raspbian (but Raspian lite takes 19 seconds to boot fully in to the application), so I am trying to figure out what is missing from either DietPi or Minibian. : /
DietPi uses the same kernel/headers and firmware as the official image. DietPi for RPi starts out as the official Jessie Lite, then we strip it and modify it for DietPi. Because of this, the issue you are experiencing may be a setting related to how we have opimized the image.

My knowledge of Andrino is zero. So you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

I would suggest installing the following packages:

Code: Select all

#From APT
apt-get install python-rpi.gpio python3-rpi.gpio
Also available via dietpi-software > DietPi optimized | RPi.GPIO

We also disable the serial console on DietPi by default, so might be worth adding that back in. Try adding this to /boot/cmdline.txt

Code: Select all

console=ttyAMA0,115200
Enable the serial service:

Code: Select all

systemctl enable serial-getty@ttyAMA0.service
Then reboot.
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

fourdee4d
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK
Contact: Website

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:21 pm

GIGANTE wrote:Hy!

I'm having a problem right now. I can't install any software because the http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ it's down, so whenever i try dietpi-software I can't reach the software list because dietpi always do a check for internet access first... You need to disable this. If I test google.com it says online but when I exit dietpi network options he always does a test on http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wich is offline right now so if you could change this part somehow it would be great.
I get this problem every day. http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org is extremely slow, unreliable and unstable. I'd like to create a apt mirror on http://dietpi.com to prevent this, but our current server (kindly provided by Pilovali) is due to expire in 3 months and the "cheaper" one to replace it will have much smaller bandwidth limits.

DietPi is coded to prevent you installing software, if no internet access to your /etc/apt/sources.list mirror is available.
For a simple fix, use UK Oxford apt mirror:

Code: Select all

cat << _EOF_ > /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/archive.raspbian.org/archive/raspbian jessie main contrib non-free rpi
_EOF_
apt-get update
DietPi will also use this address for the internet connection test next time you run dietpi-software, and, until you change it.

Theres a list of available mirrors here: https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianMirrors
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

fourdee4d
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK
Contact: Website

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:36 pm

Rich.T. wrote:Perhaps you should try over-clocking your CPUs and timing it.
Please post back your results: I'd be really interested. :)
Hi Rich,

Just a note, setting your network IP to static can vastly reduce boot times on networks with a sub-standard router. By setting static, you remove the DHCP IP address request during boot and could shave 1-10 seconds off your boot time.
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

MostHated
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:12 pm

fourdee4d wrote:
MostHated wrote:but I keep running in to FTDI D2XX and JSSC driver issues with both Minibian and DietPi, yet it works fine on Raspbian (but Raspian lite takes 19 seconds to boot fully in to the application), so I am trying to figure out what is missing from either DietPi or Minibian. : /
DietPi uses the same kernel/headers and firmware as the official image. DietPi for RPi starts out as the official Jessie Lite, then we strip it and modify it for DietPi. Because of this, the issue you are experiencing may be a setting related to how we have opimized the image.

My knowledge of Andrino is zero. So you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

I would suggest installing the following packages:

Code: Select all

#From APT
apt-get install python-rpi.gpio python3-rpi.gpio
Also available via dietpi-software > DietPi optimized | RPi.GPIO

We also disable the serial console on DietPi by default, so might be worth adding that back in. Try adding this to /boot/cmdline.txt

Code: Select all

console=ttyAMA0,115200
Enable the serial service:

Code: Select all

systemctl enable serial-getty@ttyAMA0.service
Then reboot.
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. the FTDI D2XX *should* be using the built in USB to serial adapter in my ECU and would communicate via /dev/ttyUSB0, , would that still pose a problem? I will do the things you mentioned though an report back! (The things I am working on it my pics with the CAN Bus reader are not exactly related to this, those I will be gathering information from the ECU on to my PC to learn to interpret can data and build my own dash, where the issue I am currently having is related to JSSC, FTDI D2XX, drivers and USB communication to the pi to display a dash through Java that is already made.)

Edit ** Unfortunately those changes yielded the same results with my application. : ( (Also, none of these projects include an Arduino, its all Pi 3)

lsusb shows : Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
and the following script displays /dev/ttyUSB0 - FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_AH01JV3S

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

for sysdevpath in $(find /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb*/ -name dev); do
    (
        syspath="${sysdevpath%/dev}"
        devname="$(udevadm info -q name -p $syspath)"
        [[ "$devname" == "bus/"* ]] && continue
        eval "$(udevadm info -q property --export -p $syspath)"
        [[ -z "$ID_SERIAL" ]] && continue
        echo "/dev/$devname - $ID_SERIAL"
    )
done
**Edit again!! I just got it to work! A week of trying everything under the sun I finally got it!
Turns out all I had to do was the following commands

sudo rmmod ftdi_sio
sudo rmmod usbserial

GIGANTE
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:04 am

fourdee4d wrote: I get this problem every day. http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org is extremely slow, unreliable and unstable. I'd like to create a apt mirror on http://dietpi.com to prevent this, but our current server (kindly provided by Pilovali) is due to expire in 3 months and the "cheaper" one to replace it will have much smaller bandwidth limits.

DietPi is coded to prevent you installing software, if no internet access to your /etc/apt/sources.list mirror is available.
For a simple fix, use UK Oxford apt mirror:

Code: Select all

cat << _EOF_ > /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/archive.raspbian.org/archive/raspbian jessie main contrib non-free rpi
_EOF_
apt-get update
DietPi will also use this address for the internet connection test next time you run dietpi-software, and, until you change it.

Theres a list of available mirrors here: https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianMirrors
Thx for the quick fix and a DietPi mirror would be great. :)

Nitrogen_Widget
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:52 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:36 pm

Hello,
Trying to install:
libavutil-dev
libavcodec-dev
libavformat-dev
libavfilter-dev
on the RPI3 jessie image i'm getting broken dependency errors.

The Wheezy image on my rpi1 & 2 had no issues.

Thanks.

fourdee4d
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK
Contact: Website

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:49 pm

Nitrogen_Widget wrote:Hello,
Trying to install:
libavutil-dev
libavcodec-dev
libavformat-dev
libavfilter-dev
on the RPI3 jessie image i'm getting broken dependency errors.

The Wheezy image on my rpi1 & 2 had no issues.

Thanks.
Hi,

I'll need more info on your system. Can you send a bug report please:

Code: Select all

dietpi-bugreport
Thanks
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

User avatar
gatherer
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:31 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:29 pm

GIGANTE wrote:
fourdee4d wrote: I get this problem every day. http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org is extremely slow, unreliable and unstable. I'd like to create a apt mirror on http://dietpi.com to prevent this, but our current server (kindly provided by Pilovali) is due to expire in 3 months and the "cheaper" one to replace it will have much smaller bandwidth limits.

DietPi is coded to prevent you installing software, if no internet access to your /etc/apt/sources.list mirror is available.
For a simple fix, use UK Oxford apt mirror:

Code: Select all

cat << _EOF_ > /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/archive.raspbian.org/archive/raspbian jessie main contrib non-free rpi
_EOF_
apt-get update
DietPi will also use this address for the internet connection test next time you run dietpi-software, and, until you change it.

Theres a list of available mirrors here: https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianMirrors
Thx for the quick fix and a DietPi mirror would be great. :)
Thx for the fix and a DietPi mirror would be great.

oropiotis
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:34 pm

hello to all! i'm on rpi2,i want to ask if exist a way to run dietpi via berryboot. i managed to make squashfs dietpi.img so i inserted in berryboot (on sdcard), but the dietpi-software doesn't work. install manually openbox-xorg-lx-common and is stable enough. i want to ask you, if i must edit cmdline.txt or dietpi.txt to make dietpi to work right via berryboot
excuse my ....english :roll:
dietpi on raspberrypi is awesome
and many thanks
and that the error
Error: Apt simulation failed. - The apt cache may be corrupt DietPi-Software will now exit

fourdee4d
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK
Contact: Website

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:31 pm

oropiotis wrote:hello to all! i'm on rpi2,i want to ask if exist a way to run dietpi via berryboot. i managed to make squashfs dietpi.img so i inserted in berryboot (on sdcard), but the dietpi-software doesn't work. install manually openbox-xorg-lx-common and is stable enough. i want to ask you, if i must edit cmdline.txt or dietpi.txt to make dietpi to work right via berryboot
excuse my ....english :roll:
dietpi on raspberrypi is awesome
and many thanks
and that the error
Error: Apt simulation failed. - The apt cache may be corrupt DietPi-Software will now exit
Hi oropiotis,

Currently, we support DietPi as a single image/installation. I've never used berryboot, but I will look into this as a future option.

Code: Select all

Error: Apt simulation failed.  - The apt cache may be corrupt DietPi-Software will now exit
Please try clearing the apt-cache, then relaunch dietpi-software:

Code: Select all

apt-get clean
apt-get update
If problems persist, let me know so we can try and debug the issue further.
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

oropiotis
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:50 am

many thanx for your answer fourdee4d . you have helped me many times, since i begun read all your posts here and in fuzon
i updated to 115 today, i installed stuff from dietpi-software. everything seems to work. system starts with 60-65 used ram .
i will post if something wrong, but i am running dietpi via berryboot, one week now and is very stable and fast;)

fourdee4d
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK
Contact: Website

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Image

v115 Released!

http://DietPi.com



Webserver preference system:
Want PiHole installed with Lighttpd, or maybe you prefer Owncloud with Nginx? All our DietPi-Software web-based software installations now support Apache2, Nginx and Lighttpd. Choose your favourite!
http://fuzon.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... t=50#p1549

Change Log:
http://fuzon.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=358


Follow us on Twitter:
Get the latest news, updates and releases.
http://twitter.com/dietpi_
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

muda
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:57 pm

HI Dan ,

I was trying to donate few bux for your project via your web page. Paypal link lead me to nowhere. Can you check that ?

fourdee4d
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: East Midlands, UK
Contact: Website

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:42 am

muda wrote:HI Dan ,

I was trying to donate few bux for your project via your web page. Paypal link lead me to nowhere. Can you check that ?
Hi Muda,

Thank you, much appreciated.
I tried the link today and it appears to be working. Here is the direct link to paypal: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... 645FBNC7K2 which is quoted on this forum page: http://fuzon.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50.

Let me know if you are still unable to access it.
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com


muda
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:11 am

Is there a way to access files on dietpi drive (say pictures) from iPad ?

I'll answer myself : yes it is . "Remote Files" is working well.

Return to “General discussion”