baenapi

Pi vs Pi2 as multimedia center

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:51 pm

I wonder if Pi2 is better than the first as multimedia center. Well, better CPU and more RAM could simply mean navigate and load files faster if the software is updated... Apparently both would have to reproduce with the same performance due to the same GPU. I can't reason further than this.

moojuiceuk

Re: Pi vs Pi2 as multimedia center

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:28 pm

My pi2 is running Raspian and Kodi slapped on the top with a USB DVB-T stick and a 3TB drive for all the films. Kodi is instantly responsive on the Pi2 compared to the old Pi B+. A real pleasure to use. The MPEG2 codec is essential so that the GPU can decode DVB-T streams in the UK, but this was the same for the B+.

The pi is also a webserver, SSH tunnel for remote access, Samba file server.... seems to handle everything well so far.

Energia

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:00 am

moojuiceuk wrote:My pi2 is running Raspian and Kodi slapped on the top with a USB DVB-T stick and a 3TB drive for all the films. Kodi is instantly responsive on the Pi2 compared to the old Pi B+. A real pleasure to use. The MPEG2 codec is essential so that the GPU can decode DVB-T streams in the UK, but this was the same for the B+.

The pi is also a webserver, SSH tunnel for remote access, Samba file server.... seems to handle everything well so far.
When playing a video on full screen in Kodi and moving a mouse, does the mouse cursor have lag? I've tried Openelec on RPi 2 and had this issue. So I'm not sure if it was due to Openelec and I should try Kodi under Raspbian or RPi 2 being just not that fast.

moojuiceuk

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:00 am

I use a Flirc USB IR dongle and a spare IR remote control for day to day use. Just tried a mouse on the pi and when videos are playing the mouse has some noticable lag to it. Never noticed that before. Could be an issue with Kodi or a lack of horsepower on Pi.. not too sure without more experimentation.

ame

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:07 am

I am running OpenELEC on an original Pi B (256Mb). It boots from a 2Gb card and reads media files from a hard drive.

Suddenly it was never possible to do anything until the Pi 2 came out.

Lob0426

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:30 pm

I have been testing OpenElec 5.0.3 on the Raspbery Pi 2B. A whole world of difference!
(edit 5.0.3)
Installing an add-on is done in 4 seconds instead of around 30 seconds on early Raspii. Movement between screens is very fast. I still notice the mouse dragging while moving when video is playing. On the video itself. When you have the video in the background the mouse is fine.

I am using a Tontec clear case with fan. Fan seems to keep it pretty cool.

Hardware information in OpenElec.
CPU: ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v71)
BogoMips: 57.00
Revision: a21041 (Chinese version in U.S.)
Serial: 00000000xxxxxxxx
CPU temp 102°F
CPU speed 600MHz
Total memory: 738MB
Free Memory: 647MB

CPU usage shows only three of the four cores but all are being used. The last core is hidden due to the slider bar. Percentages vary throughout play.
Memory used shows 12%

So the default GPU memory is set at 288MB.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

beta-tester

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:01 am

Energia wrote:When playing a video on full screen in Kodi and moving a mouse, does the mouse cursor have lag? I've tried Openelec on RPi 2 and had this issue. So I'm not sure if it was due to Openelec and I should try Kodi under Raspbian or RPi 2 being just not that fast.
it is maybe more an issue of your mouse you use and the kernel part that OpenELEC/Raspbian & Co. uses...
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/642
you can try to add

Code: Select all

usbhid.mousepoll=0
at the end of the first line of the cmdline.txt file on the BOOT Partition of OpenELEC.
you can change it from via an SSH session remotely...
login to your OpenELEC via SSH,

mount /flash -o remount,rw
nano /flash/cmdline.txt
... and add following code to the end ot the first line (separated by space/blank from the existing code)

usbhid.mousepoll=0
hit [Ctrl][X]-key to exit the nano text editor
then [Ctrl][Y]-key to save changes
and finally [Enter]-key to confirm the filename.

then reboot OpenELEC
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (rev1, 256MB), B (rev2, 512MB), B+, 2B, 3B, 3B+, ZeroW, ...

Lob0426

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:03 am

usbhid.mousepoll=0
That had no effect

usbhid.mousepoll=1
Had no effect

usb_hid.mousepoll=0
had no effect

usb_hid.mousepoll=1
helped but did not solve it completely (see below)

EDIT: ran all of those lines again. usbhid.mousepoll=0 made it worse. I do not think any of them did any good.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

SBado

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:28 am

Energia wrote: When playing a video on full screen in Kodi and moving a mouse, does the mouse cursor have lag? I've tried Openelec on RPi 2 and had this issue. So I'm not sure if it was due to Openelec and I should try Kodi under Raspbian or RPi 2 being just not that fast.
If I remember correctly, there should be an option in Kodi settings to limit the user interface fps during movie playback (I can't remember where it's located, I should check). The default value for this option is 10 fps (again, if I remember correctly), and this is the cause of the lag you are experiencing. You can try setting an higher value, like 30 or 60.

grizzybeard

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:35 pm

moojuiceuk wrote:My pi2 is running Raspian and Kodi slapped on the top with a USB DVB-T stick and a 3TB drive for all the films. Kodi is instantly responsive on the Pi2 compared to the old Pi B+. A real pleasure to use. The MPEG2 codec is essential so that the GPU can decode DVB-T streams in the UK, but this was the same for the B+.

Do you find the Pi2 sluggish during playback?

My pointer and menus are very slow if any video is playing, but then I haven't updated openelecin a while. I'm not sure if it is a hardware issue, or due to me using an optimised version of openelec.

Not a big problem, since videos can just be paused to regain smooth controls.

Edit: I should have read the rest of the thread. Thanks

tim273

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:35 am

Ironicly I found that the Pi B+ had smooth video playback whereas the Pi2 and Pi3 are choppy at times with higher resolutions. This just the video playback not the actual responsiveness of Kodi.

In both cases there was an MPEG2 license and the same version of Kodi. So its very odd and it seems to be backwards. The same was true for h264 encoded videos, smooth on RPi B+ and a little choppy on RPi 2 and RPi 3.

Anyway, just my observation.

gkreidl

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:18 am

tim273 wrote:Ironicly I found that the Pi B+ had smooth video playback whereas the Pi2 and Pi3 are choppy at times with higher resolutions. This just the video playback not the actual responsiveness of Kodi.

In both cases there was an MPEG2 license and the same version of Kodi. So its very odd and it seems to be backwards. The same was true for h264 encoded videos, smooth on RPi B+ and a little choppy on RPi 2 and RPi 3.

Anyway, just my observation.
It depends on the settings (for best performance I enabled omxplayer and disabled MMAL) and the kodi version you are using. Open/LibreElec doesn't seem to have this problem, but the Raspbian kodi version from the repository does. Some patches have to be applied to ffmpeg to avoid this. The last version 15.2 I compiled for Raspbian has these patches built in and AFAIK also the kodi 16 versions from pipplware.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

ajlenze

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:32 am

I've been running OSMC on a B+ for over a year. It definitely needed the MPEG2 codec to play DVDs smoothly. For a while, video playback would sometimes (fairly rarely) suddenly stop (sound stopped a few seconds earlier), and there was no easy way to recover, except to yank the power and force a reboot. It seemed to happen more with higher res video, especially blu-rays. I don't remember it happening in the last couple of months, so maybe it was fixed in an update.

I don't really care about how well a mouse pointer moves because I control it with a Harmony remote and a FLIRC IR receiver, and it works really slick. My only gripe is that it doesn't handle menus for any of the blu-rays that I've tried, but I think that's a known problem with the blu-ray code libraries used by all versions and flavors of Kodi. I can still use my B+ to watch blu-ray video, but I have to select which video to play from a numbered list of the videos on the blu-ray, with no clear way to know which video is which. (If I'm wrong about this or if there's some version of Kodi where blu-ray menus work, I'd LOVE to hear about it.)

A few months ago, I briefly tried a Pi 3 without the MPEG2 codec, and it seemed to have some problems handling DVD menus. But since my B+ works so well for me, I didn't look into the problem too thoroughly.

Return to “General discussion”