Re: Windows 10

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:54 pm

I'll upgrade from 7 & 8 as its free !! probably after I've heard early feedback

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:59 pm

That Hololens things does look rather spiffy.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Ravenous

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:05 pm

The Microsoft Hololens looks fun, and should be hassle free if it's integrated into Windows 10, but it won't be cheap! (It certainly won't be free with the OS.)

A juggling simulator game would be fun... :lol:

As for the OS, I could get the free upgrade from Windows 7 on my living room PC but I'm not bothered. I'd rather not mess with a computer that works OK, at the moment!

PeterO

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:07 pm

It's irrelevant !
I have no MS machines, and my employer only just moved to W7. Hopefully I'll never see it.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:16 pm

bertwert wrote:What are your first thoughts on Windows 10?
I think this new web browser will kill IE (yay) but would still use Google Chrome anyway :lol:
This holographic computer headset thingy looks pretty cool, what do you think?
Will you upgrade if it is paid or if it is free?
Bloated "eye candy"
Retired disgracefully.....

morphy_richards

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:52 pm

I think I may have read somewhere it wasn't free for OEMs ? :?

pwinwood

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:03 pm

Frankly, I 'm excited by Windows 10. After I upgraded to Windowa 8.1 on my laptop I thought 'Linux is catching up - this might be the last version of Windows I will install', but what Microsoft are now offering looks good. If you are a professional software engineer who uses Agile (properly not the stuff preached by 'consultants', Test Driven Development, etc. then for me Visual Studio 2013 is immensely productive tool. I have developed major applications in Java and for Android using Eclipse and it sucks badly in comparison.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:09 pm

The few early news reports I've seen are cautiously optimistic. I'm planning to get a new gaming ring in 4 to 6 months. Since I definitely *don't* want Win8/8.1, I will probably wait for Win10 to be generally available (I'll be going through a semi-custom builder).

r3d4

Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:18 am

bertwert wrote:I'm not that fond of windows either but it is better than nothing...
Dont knock nothing !
Nothing can get you along way !!

Philosophers used to sit around think about nothing all day long ,it never did them any harm :P

RE: win 10 ; "software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster" :roll:
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-
what about spike milligan?

Joe Schmoe

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:06 pm

whereas windows 8 on something with a similar speed would be a nightmare.
Of course, Windows 8 is a nightmare on any hardware, so this isn't saying much (anything).
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:16 pm

r3d4 wrote: RE: win 10 ; "software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster" :roll:
What used to be said was: Microsoft can chew up every processor cycle that Intel can manufacture.

scidata

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:22 pm

A long time ago, I attended a seminar where the lead speaker said, "When I loaded Windows XP onto my laptop, it got noticeably heavier".

However, the HoloLens looks like the real deal. Also, I notice that 3D Minecraft figures prominently in the promo video. Microsoft is getting cool. DOS seems like centuries ago. The rapidity of major O/S releases is starting to make Apple blush.
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is" - Isaac Asimov

rotwang

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:05 pm

It'd be more honest if they labelled it "1.0 release candidate", Windows 8 sure seemed like a 0.8 release.

Jake Nixon

Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:36 am

In my opinion, the holographic glasses won't catch on, and I doubt they'll really be used at all. I'm going to install Windows 10 on my spare HDD when the final release comes out though, although I don't think it'll get much use from me. Still, it'll be nice to have a look at it :D .

Has anyone else signed up for the insider scheme from Microsoft to get the tech previews?

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:42 pm

Jake Nixon wrote:In my opinion, the holographic glasses won't catch on, and I doubt they'll really be used at all. I'm going to install Windows 10 on my spare HDD when the final release comes out though, although I don't think it'll get much use from me. Still, it'll be nice to have a look at it :D .

Has anyone else signed up for the insider scheme from Microsoft to get the tech previews?
At present do not have a spare PC to install the Technical Preview, but will do eventually, though still feels it offers nothing over Linux OSes ;)

morphy_richards

Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm optimistic about the hololens. It looks funky, for me what will be a make or break will be price. It looks like it would be best as a kind of social thing, 3d holo-skype, playing minecraft on the living room floor with the kids as if its lego, that sort of thing.
But if I have to bankrupt myself buying one, let alone a couple so the family can all participate ... forget it.

Jake Nixon

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:59 am

fruitoftheloom wrote: At present do not have a spare PC to install the Technical Preview, but will do eventually, though still feels it offers nothing over Linux OSes ;)
I don't think Windows will ever have anything over Linux for us haha, it has a very different purpose I suppose :)
morphy_richards wrote:But if I have to bankrupt myself buying one, let alone a couple so the family can all participate ... forget it.
Yeah, I think that for now they'll be really expensive, and as it's the first time that these things are being made by Microsoft (as far as I know :? ) I don't know what they quality will be like.
I also doubt that many people will support it in their applications to be honest, I think most developers would think it'd more trouble than it'd worth :(

mrpi64

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:05 am

I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:09 am

Yep one has to sign up to become a member of the Windows Insider Program, fortunately I am a MSRP ;)

Bryon

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:32 pm

I'll probably upgrade too. I got Windows 7 free through Dreamspark since I am a Computer Science student . The only thing that might stop me from upgrading is that if the rumors about 'Windows as a Service' are true. I do not want to have to subscribe to an OS. If that ends up only in the cloud for enterprises, then I will probably be okay with upgrading. If they make it to where one has to subscribe to Windows 10 (even if it is cost effective or free like Office365), I'll probably just stick with 7 until Windows 10 is required for gaming. If Windows takes the same model as OSX (not subscription just free upgrades), then I will get 10 as soon as I can. I've just heard so many rumors that I want to wait until I hear what Microsoft says before I upgrade. That was the similar route they were going with Xbox One before everyone started complaining. It was all going to be online and in the 'cloud'.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:36 pm

My aversion is mostly based on how everything is tied into their marketplace thing. It took 2 hours to install skype on windows 8 as a result. I don't see why MS would abandon that approach, so I think I'll stay away from anything after windows 7 until that sort of thing is sorted out.

Jake Nixon

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Bryon wrote:I got Windows 7 free through Dreamspark since I am a Computer Science student .
You can get Windows through Dreamspark? I have Dreamspark but I didn't know that haha!

glossywhite

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:24 pm

PeterO wrote:It's irrelevant !
I have no MS machines, and my employer only just moved to W7. Hopefully I'll never see it.
PeterO

It's irrelevant to you.

In a world where the vast majority of computers are running Microsoft Windows, your comment couldn't make any less sense even if you wanted it to. This is like saying "Cars... pffft! They're irrelevant".

I'll bet that 1% of you have tried it just to say "I've tried it", and of the 1%, I'll wager that you're going into this with pre-conceived social bias >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... ial_biases LOOKING for fault, instead of being open minded, well balanced and seeing how things have improved massively.

I've been using the TP builds since day 1, and they've been nothing short of fantastic. Microsoft have admitted their faults and have made amends with the way Windows 10 is being developed, by directly engaging members of the TP membership and by listening to feedback in order to shape design decisions. If you think your favourite OS (other than Windows) is somehow "better" than Windows 10, you are blinded by bias, and/or you just don't want to like Windows, and no amount of discussion will change your mind. Software is a huge variable, and that huge variable is multiplied by infinity due to the endless potential hardware configs and platforms. Linux is JUST as bad on hardware of equal age, and to deny that is just silly.

Build 9926 (came out last Sat) is working well thus far, but I haven't tested exhaustively - the initial build was VERY fast and very stable, and that is a worldwide concencus, not a personal opinion alone, and it can only get better.

Anyway, off I go - too hungry to sit and waffle. Toodle pip :)

Nonsensical.
Last edited by glossywhite on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

glossywhite

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:25 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:My aversion is mostly based on how everything is tied into their marketplace thing. It took 2 hours to install skype on windows 8 as a result. I don't see why MS would abandon that approach, so I think I'll stay away from anything after windows 7 until that sort of thing is sorted out.
Why wouldn't you just install Skype Desktop program, as opposed to the Metro app?

:D

2 hours wasted for no reason, my friend.

Mandrewpi

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:28 am

It would be awesome if there was a vr head set that worked with the pi
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

Return to “Off topic discussion”