sallyjoshua

Re: dual/quad core alternatives

Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:48 am

try HummingBoard or Banana Pi

The Banana Pi has an Allwinner A20 ARM Cortex-A7 dual-core processor, a Mali 400 graphics core, 1GB of DDR3 RAM, an SD card slot, two USB 2.0 slots and ethernet.

The HummingBoard has an even faster processor—the Freescale quad-core i.MX6 Cortex-A9—as well as a high-definition graphics core, HDMI output, ethernet and two USB 2.0 ports.
I love life

Mandrewpi

Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:48 pm

marked wrote:Allwinner recently announced the A53, a 64bit quadcore for 5$ - I assume that is for tablet/phone quantity volume. However that is probably 9-12 months away yet.

A33 quadcore (four cortex a7) at 4$, with mali 400mp2 GPU - I have no idea as to what pricing for additional memory/board design on top.

So looking for 100s of cores on mobile gpus should be down to similar pricing levels, if they aren't integrated already, particularly post-CES2015. Adapteva's Parallela epiphany-16 may be down further, however I would also assume that we need to see the epiphany 64 to be sampled/priced out.

a suitable raspberry pi c+ follow on should be at least a quad core to teach multithreaded/multicore programming. However I assume the programming methodology and teaching materials are still around undergrad level?
Yes, in two to three years we should see a c, c+ and a c++ the later to learn the bare bone programming
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

mikronauts

Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:19 pm

Last time I saw, the quad core version of the Hummingboard was not offered for sale.
sallyjoshua wrote:try HummingBoard or Banana Pi

The Banana Pi has an Allwinner A20 ARM Cortex-A7 dual-core processor, a Mali 400 graphics core, 1GB of DDR3 RAM, an SD card slot, two USB 2.0 slots and ethernet.

The HummingBoard has an even faster processor—the Freescale quad-core i.MX6 Cortex-A9—as well as a high-definition graphics core, HDMI output, ethernet and two USB 2.0 ports.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:15 pm

There seems to be a massive misconception here.

You do NOT need a multicore processor to teach multicore/process/thread programming techniques. A single core processor running a multitasking OS will look exactly the same to the end user as a multicore device. The only time it might make a difference is in low level OS code - and that is not an area you need to be teaching in at the level the Pi is aimed at. I've been writing embedded and desktop multithreaded code for years, and I have never had to worry about whether the device was single or multicored.

I really don't understand why people think a multicore is necessary to teach multithreaded/process/task stuff.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mikronauts

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:18 pm

+1
jamesh wrote:There seems to be a massive misconception here.

You do NOT need a multicore processor to teach multicore/process/thread programming techniques. A single core processor running a multitasking OS will look exactly the same to the end user as a multicore device. The only time it might make a difference is in low level OS code - and that is not an area you need to be teaching in at the level the Pi is aimed at. I've been writing embedded and desktop multithreaded code for years, and I have never had to worry about whether the device was single or multicored.

I really don't understand why people think a multicore is necessary to teach multithreaded/process/task stuff.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter

Mandrewpi

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:52 pm

I never said anything about learning multi core processing or programming if a multi core pi was made and advertised then (coming from regular not tech savvy parents and other people) would consider a pi as a cheap desktop replacement. If they needed desktop applications they would use a laptop. Mabye they would learn a little programming too.

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.

marked

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:26 pm

In a bid to get everyone to mistake a usb charger for a computer, Xiaomi release the Mi Mini, to which the dimensions looks to be a 1.5" cube...
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/15/xiaomi-mi-box-mini/

Don't know what keyboard/mouse interface can be achieved, or if fixed ethernet networking is available.

mikronauts

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:54 pm

It has bluetooth for its remote control, so presumably it would recognize bluetooth keyboards/touchpads/mice... one hopes.
marked wrote:In a bid to get everyone to mistake a usb charger for a computer, Xiaomi release the Mi Mini, to which the dimensions looks to be a 1.5" cube...
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/15/xiaomi-mi-box-mini/

Don't know what keyboard/mouse interface can be achieved, or if fixed ethernet networking is available.

Fidelius

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:20 am

Fidelius wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Reading the sticky may help :?: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 63&t=56598
Thanks. Yes, there is is:
jamesh wrote:Eben Upton, Founder, has stated in public that he would expect a NEW board between two and three years from now (Sept 2013). In all likelihood,this would be a device with a new SoC with more power and more memory, and perhaps other features yet to be decided.
Well, Mr. Upton is a man of his word! Actually he's more, since he didn't even promise a Pi 2 some time from September 2013, but now just delivers it. I'm impressed :
Raspberry Pi 2

BMS Doug

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:37 am

Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:08 am

I managed to order a Pi2B from MCM and I've been notified that it has shipped. Looks like everybody that carries them has been having their ordering sites hammered, though mostly not as thoroughly as these Forums.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:19 am

mahjongg wrote:So perhaps in a minimum of one or two years from now, but I expect it will be much longer, (3 to 5 years) the larger the number sold the higher the requirement to keep the design exactly the same, and not break any previous efforts.

I could be wrong off course, but it certainly also depends on the availability of a cheap enough SoC, that is compatible enough with the current one, and I don't see one on the horizon.
OOPS! eating my words now! Its only because the RPF managed to create a SoC that was 100% the same as the old one, but with a cortex quad core CPU, and new RAM logic! I didn't see that coming in a million years. I was expecting they needed to switch over completely to whatever SoC they could find on the market, and that would break all their previous efforts, so I didn't expect that to happen any time soon.
Amazing, Truly amazing :shock:

fruitoftheloom

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:22 am

mahjongg wrote:
mahjongg wrote:So perhaps in a minimum of one or two years from now, but I expect it will be much longer, (3 to 5 years) the larger the number sold the higher the requirement to keep the design exactly the same, and not break any previous efforts.

I could be wrong off course, but it certainly also depends on the availability of a cheap enough SoC, that is compatible enough with the current one, and I don't see one on the horizon.
OOPS! eating my words now! Its only because the RPF managed to create a SoC that was 100% the same as the old one, but with a cortex quad core CPU, and new RAM logic, didn't see that coming in a million years. I was expecting they needed to switch over completely to whatever SoC they could find on the market, that would break all their previous efforts, so I didn't expect that to happen any time soon.
Amazing :shock:
I would say hats of to Broadcom, without their help attaching a v7 would not be possible to the GPU :D
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Fidelius

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:26 am

mahjongg wrote:
mahjongg in January 2014 wrote:So perhaps in a minimum of one or two years from now, but I expect it will be much longer, (3 to 5 years) the larger the number sold the higher the requirement to keep the design exactly the same, and not break any previous efforts.

OOPS! eating my words now! [..] I didn't see that coming in a million years. [..]
Amazing, Truly amazing :shock:
Yes, it is truly amazing. Very well done, Pi Foundation (probably with the "help" of pressure from the Odroid guys, but that's why a sound amount of competition is good).

Still your forecast from one year ago wasn't so bad, I marked the important words in bold. :-)

jamesh

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:06 am

Indeed. Gert was one of the people behind the 2836 ,along with a number of other Brcm staff plus some people from the Foundation. A combined effort from all, and well done to.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mrpi64

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:00 pm

What about the Pi 2?
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

Mandrewpi

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:53 pm

Pi 2 is the new quad core alternative. Now all of the Chinese companies are going to copy it like the original pi.

I own:

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:35 am

Mandrewpi wrote:Pi 2 is the new quad core alternative. Now all of the Chinese companies are going to copy it like the original pi.
I can only think of one attempt at a direct copy, and that was from--if I understand correctly--a Korean company...and it failed when they couldn't get more BCM2835 chips.

Aside from "works similarly", I don't see how any company is really going to copy the Pi2B. Where are they going to get BCM2836 SoCs? That does not, of course, prevent a company from finding a chip with most of the same features. The hardest feature to actually duplicate would be the VC4 The Odroid-C1 is such a similar board. Hardkernel might even assert that the RPF had copied *them*, since the C1 launched last month. Even so, the C1 is using A5 cores, while the Pi2B is using A7 cores. in order to come up with something faster than the Pi2B (in order to justify the--likely--higher price), they might have to go to, say, A15 cores.

jonathanp

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Mandrewpi wrote:Pi 2 is the new quad core alternative. Now all of the Chinese companies are going to copy it like the original pi.
Broadcom will not work with low volume customers, so there is no danger of a completely compatible clone being made.
If anything the RPF is copying those nasty companies who dare to compete with the Pi, because multi-core boards with 1GB RAM have been available from other vendors for a while now. The RPi 2 announcement even cited competition as once of the reasons for releasing it.
Some people here seem to have the idea that the RPF is some sort of sacred entity that must be protected from competition. When the Odroid-W came out someone suggested a deliberate attempt be made to put HardKernel out of business! Of the two organisations they've actually been around and making dev boards for longer :)

riklaunim

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:30 pm

Chinese companies had quad core long ago ;) There is a lot of SBC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... _computers and more.

jamesh

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:22 pm

There are indeed a lots of SBC's out there, with many different cores counts and features sets.

How good they are is anyones guess! I think ODROID are one of the better ones..

W. H. Heydt

Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:08 am

Undoubtedly there will be many more in the future, though I dare say they may not come from the companies we know of today.

And to add to the data...I've found the Cubieboards (1 & 2) to be reliable. I've been using Cubie 1 board for something over 18 months now, and a Cubie 2 for about 8 months. I'm not doing anything to strain them, but they do keep running.

Return to “Off topic discussion”