User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

DEC VT05

Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:50 pm

So, I can neither afford nor find a DEC VT05 terminal anywhere - Is there any way that I can recreate one, using 3d printing (printing small parts & connectors, then putting them together), moulding, or something else similar? All that I really want is the case, the CRT display & the keyboard can be sourced from someplace else.
So, is this possible?
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23376
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:08 pm

I think it would be very expensive to have such a thing made using a 3D printer, although it's a good idea! You would need a CAD model, and the device is rather large as well, so might not be able to be made by the majority of cheaper printers.

I'd keep an eye on Ebay or other auction sites just in case.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23376
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:24 pm

jamesh wrote:I think it would be very expensive to have such a thing made using a 3D printer, although it's a good idea! You would need a CAD model, and the device is rather large as well, so might not be able to be made by the majority of cheaper printers.

I'd keep an eye on Ebay or other auction sites just in case.
On the other hand, apparently one sold a while back for $4000. So maybe you will have to make one..
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:21 pm

True. There are little curvy bits of plastic on it, so I guess I could lasercut it out of acrylic, considering I have access to a laser cutter.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:53 pm

How big is an altair 8800 case?
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

johndough
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:11 pm

mrpi64 wrote:So, I can neither afford nor find a DEC VT05 terminal anywhere - Is there any way that I can recreate one, using 3d printing (printing small parts & connectors, then putting them together), moulding, or something else similar? All that I really want is the case, the CRT display & the keyboard can be sourced from someplace else.
So, is this possible?

Hi

I am sure the computing museum at Bletchley Park has lots. They have tons of stuff I had never seen or even heard of.

http://www.tnmoc.org/

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:11 am

I will see what I can do - thanks.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

futcoins
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:23 am
Contact: Website

Re: DEC VT05

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:57 am

We read the world wrong and say that it deceives us.
——————————————————————————

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:57 am

Problem is that we deceive ourselves with what we do with the world, and then we realise what we have done, but, too late.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23376
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:47 am

futcoins wrote:We read the world wrong and say that it deceives us.
——————————————————————————
I think poster is going to return with spam on his mind....so don't be surprised if this post disappears suddenly...
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: DEC VT05

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:57 pm

jamesh wrote:
futcoins wrote:We read the world wrong and say that it deceives us.
——————————————————————————
I think poster is going to return with spam on his mind....so don't be surprised if this post disappears suddenly...

it did seem a bit out of place...


So how's the DEC build going?

have you considered making a cardboard case and lacquering it for strength? Heavy duty cardboard can be strong enough if you apply a good paint on top (seen the cardboard boat races?)
USB Keyboard and HDMI monitor in a solid framework all wrapped in a cardboard shell....
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

SteveSpencer
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:19 am
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: DEC VT05

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:48 pm

Hmm. Doug, do you have any experience of how well Sugru bonds to lacquered or painted cardboard?
I have a couple of 7" LCD panels which I am trying to make mounts for, and the heavy-duty card might be a solution, but I need some way of holding them in place relative to the cardboard, of course...
My "practical" skills aren't up to that, I suspect, so I may have to go and talk to some friendly designers with a laser cutter.
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: DEC VT05

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:21 am

SteveSpencer wrote:Hmm. Doug, do you have any experience of how well Sugru bonds to lacquered or painted cardboard?
I have a couple of 7" LCD panels which I am trying to make mounts for, and the heavy-duty card might be a solution, but I need some way of holding them in place relative to the cardboard, of course...
My "practical" skills aren't up to that, I suspect, so I may have to go and talk to some friendly designers with a laser cutter.

None at all, I was thinking of applying it as a cover on top, not a mounting position.

For LCD panel mounts I would probably consider wood or metal frames, which could then be covered in any desired material to create a final shape desired.

if you start a new thread to discuss your application we can cover some specific approaches that might work for you.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:30 am

BMS Doug wrote:
jamesh wrote:
futcoins wrote:We read the world wrong and say that it deceives us.
——————————————————————————
I think poster is going to return with spam on his mind....so don't be surprised if this post disappears suddenly...

it did seem a bit out of place...


So how's the DEC build going?

have you considered making a cardboard case and lacquering it for strength? Heavy duty cardboard can be strong enough if you apply a good paint on top (seen the cardboard boat races?)
USB Keyboard and HDMI monitor in a solid framework all wrapped in a cardboard shell....
I'll see if I can find some cardboard to make it - yeah, you can get really thin but strong cardboard - , stuff my big monitor in it (which is definitely NOT 4:3).
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:00 pm

Could I use cardboard as mounts for the monitor? Would it be strong enough?
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: DEC VT05

Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:23 pm

mrpi64 wrote:Could I use cardboard as mounts for the monitor? Would it be strong enough?
you can get some very strong cardboard, that would probably work. I'd be more inclined to make a stronger internal structure and just have a cardboard casing over the top.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:57 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
mrpi64 wrote:Could I use cardboard as mounts for the monitor? Would it be strong enough?
you can get some very strong cardboard, that would probably work. I'd be more inclined to make a stronger internal structure and just have a cardboard casing over the top.
Thanks. I will now have to save up the families cardboard!
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:16 am

I've got a bit of cardboard now. I may just start to make a "terminal"-style thingy.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

rotwang
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:31 pm

mrpi64 wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:
mrpi64 wrote:Could I use cardboard as mounts for the monitor? Would it be strong enough?
you can get some very strong cardboard, that would probably work. I'd be more inclined to make a stronger internal structure and just have a cardboard casing over the top.
Thanks. I will now have to save up the families cardboard!
Depends how thick you find acceptable for the cardboard. I used to have to deal with Crescent outboard motors which shipped in corrugated cardboard cases, they were so tough we had to cut them up with a bandsaw to recycle them.

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:35 pm

Double cardboard winebox.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23376
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:46 pm

mrpi64 wrote:Double cardboard winebox.
With the added bonus of having to drink the wine first.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
mrpi64
Posts: 931
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: DEC VT05

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:17 am

:lol:
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

Return to “Off topic discussion”