wolfje

Re: Parcel force epic fail!

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:08 pm

I had the same issues with my delivery.

My Pi should have arrived on Thursday (Using Parcel Force), According to there website they did try to deliver on Thursday, but I never received a card saying that they where there. Same thing on Friday. So No Pi before the weekend :-( and because they never left a card saying that they tried to deliver I was not aware of it either. I was even home those days and never heard them at all.

Monday came and gone, still no word from them... So I had a look on there website and found out that my parcel was been held in a depot 50 minutes drive away. I scheduled a re-delivery for Saturday, 10 minutes later I get a phone call from them saying it would cost me £10 to deliver on Saturday, they said they would be able to deliver during the week before 6pm. No use to me I don't get home from work till well after that :-(

I was left with the option to drive 50 minutes to there and 50 back or pay £10 to deliver on Saturday. All that while they never tried to deliver in the first place as far as I was aware.

bobc

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:49 pm

wolfje wrote:I was left with the option to drive 50 minutes to there and 50 back or pay £10 to deliver on Saturday. All that while they never tried to deliver in the first place as far as I was aware.
That is particularly sneaky, I have had couriers claim to have left a card despite the fact that I was in all day - and didn't leave a card... The thing is "owner not home/card left" counts to the delivery targets, so if they don't have time to complete deliveries they simply take it back to the depot and lie.

But Parcel Force should deliver to a local PO:
http://www.parcelforce.com/help-informa ... delivery#4

Chromatix

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:38 am

In Helsinki:

Couriers seem to have no trouble delivering to an office building with a reception desk. It probably helps that they can usually offload several packages at once during one trip. So if you have an urgent and valuable package to send from one business to another, they can do a decent job.

However, couriers seem to be almost completely unable to deliver to a residential address. Part of the problem is that my building is locked, before you get to my actual front door, and there is no external doorbell/intercom, so the only way they can ask to be let in is by phoning me (which they rarely do). The postman has a key, the couriers don't. The rest of the problem is that they are very unwilling to commit to attempting delivery at a time when the working recipient is most likely to be at home - eg. from 18:30 onwards. Some will say, vaguely, "morning" or "afternoon to evening". Others just say "could be any time from 8am to 9pm".

And don't get me started on what happens if the package needs to have customs duty paid. Expect days of delay if that is the case.

The standard postal service, by contrast, will reliably get a parcel to my front door in many cases, or to the local post office in others (with a natty postcard through the letterbox with the tracking code). They also cost considerably less than a courier, although they don't make any promises about timing.

Recently, the cut-price postal service that Amazon currently uses for free shipping delivered a package to a different post office than my local one. It was still close enough to pick up easily, and I got an SMS to tell me where it was. That's fine.

So the take-home message is that the big-name couriers are utterly useless at B2C deliveries.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

markb

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:17 am

Chromatix wrote:In Helsinki:

Part of the problem is that my building is locked, before you get to my actual front door, and there is no external doorbell/intercom, so the only way they can ask to be let in is by phoning me (which they rarely do). The postman has a key, the couriers don't.

Blimey, so you can only get in or out of your home if the postman is there to let you out? Are sure 'postman' isn't an euphemism for prison officer? ;)

Joefish

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 am

I used to be in a flat like that. There wasn't even a letterbox in the front door for couriers to put the cards through; you'd come home to find one wedged behind the buzzer panel or even blowing down the drive. At least if it was jammed in the door frame, most residents would be good enough to take it in and pin it to the noticeboard behind the door. The worst one was DHL in Southampton, where the office was way out of town and was open even less than normal office hours, never mind evenings or weekends.

Even where I am now I've taken delivery of a parcel for a neighbour, only to find a red label on it saying not to be left with neighbour or outside property. Turned out there was a pre-release iPhone 4 prototype in it. Of course, the other problem is in our court the houses are numbered sequentially; I'm forever receiving mail for #5 because my door is right next to #3 (despite a big '4' on the wall). Postmen only seem able to count up in 2s. Anything else confuses them.

Anyway, I got home to find a card on the mat; I dreaded turning it over but they left my Pi with a family two doors down, so not too much trouble at all. Their cat didn't even crap on it or anything.

Return to “Off topic discussion”