FollowingGhosts

ARM Laptops/netbooks

Sat May 19, 2012 12:13 pm

So, my ThinkPad X61 has given up the ghost, it's been giving me more and more problems and now it's finally dropped dead.
Do there exist any decentish and cheap ARM devices, preferably running Ubuntu, with a screen and a keyboard of reasonable build quality? Specs aren't too important, I mainly use laptops for remote desktop and word editing, nothing too processor intensive.
Input appreciated
-FollowingGhosts

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: ARM Laptops/netbooks

Sat May 19, 2012 2:39 pm

I have a Hercules eCafe Slim HD http://www.hercules.com/us/ecafe/ (thanks Obarthelemy) which which i use mostly for ssh'ing, vnc and testing ARM binaries

It's not the greatest netbook out there but runs Ubuntu by default and it serves my needs

Chromatix

Sat May 19, 2012 3:57 pm

The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer/Slider models might also be worth consideration. They come with Android by default, but installing straight Linux distros on them doesn't seem to be too hard.

That Hercules one looks pretty nice as well.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

johnbeetem

Sun May 20, 2012 1:29 am

I've been waiting for a good ARM laptop for years, but other than some netbooks and tablets with small screens I haven't seen anything. The picture may change in the next few years according to this article from http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news ... -PC-market: Report: ARM aims to take 20% of notebook PC market.

For netbooks, I've heard good things about the Hercules mentioned upstream and the Genesi Efika MX Smartbook. There's also the Always Innovating Smart Book and Touch Book. I haven't used any of these personally.

Morgaine

Sun May 20, 2012 6:56 am

Wow, I didn't realize that Hercules still existed. That name takes me way back to the earliest days of the 8088 PC, with Hercules all-green or all-amber monochome displays. Memories ....

Well done, Hercules! :D

Morgaine.
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

paultrafalgar

Sun May 20, 2012 9:25 am

Have you considered a Toshiba AC100. Comes with Android but here I am running it with Ubuntu 12.04 thanks to the freenode irc group at #ac100. About £150 last I looked.

blc

Wed May 23, 2012 12:54 pm

...This might be contrary to your actual question, but have you thought about replacing the X61? I picked up an X61s last year (the ultra-low voltage variant) for only £170, which included a docking station and shipping. You wouldn't have to worry about how much RAM it has or the hard drive size as you should just be able to drop in the hardware from your existing machine.

My little X61s has been an utter trooper; it was already 4 years old when I got it, but the battery still has 85-90% of original capacity (according to the Lenovo monitoring applications) and lasts a good 4-6 hours. It doesn't have the best screen in the world, but it does the job damn well. After switching to Lubuntu almost full time it's even nippier; even though it only has a 1.6GHz processor (albeit a Core2Duo). I am well and truly sold on ThinkPads after getting mine!

oztrailrider

Wed May 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Have you considered the Efika MX Smarttop/Smartbook prducts?. They are made by Genesi and come with Ubuntu 10.04 by default. Freescale iMX515 800Mhz Cortex A8 powered. I have included a link below.

http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/smartbook

Return to “Off topic discussion”