briguy33

Can I use Rasp-Pi to stream live online video?

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Please forgive me for this question, I am brand new to Raspberry Pi. Can this be used to stream online video? Meaning, will it support logging into a website and effectively playing live streaming video the way you would on a normal computer. Again, forgive my "oh so simple" question...

hunternet93

Re: Can I use Rasp-Pi to stream live online video?

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:09 am

The question really depends. The Pi's media decoding hardware is pretty impressive, but it can't run Flash very well. If the website has a directly accessible web stream then you could probably use XBMC or omxplayer to play the video, without knowing the website it's hard to say for sure.

briguy33

Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Let's just say it was something as simple as Netflix. It doesn't need flash to be supported. Would it work for something like that?

MoosePi

Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:44 pm

briguy33 wrote:Let's just say it was something as simple as Netflix. It doesn't need flash to be supported. Would it work for something like that?
NetFlix uses DRM, DRM is not supported by the Open Source Community !

Basically any sites afaiaa which use Silverlight, Flash or DRM is a no go.........
Pi Forum Search and Google yields answers to many questions

redhawk

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:22 pm

As long as it's not DRM protective content the Pi is more than capable of streaming live video.
I use my Pi sometimes to watch Live TV via TVCatchup with their excellent TVCatchup XBMC plugin. :)

Richard S.

Return to “Off topic discussion”