abishur

Re: Sequels that failed

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Over in the "What are you reading" thread there was an off hand remark about making a thread for sequels that were lackluster, that failed.  I liked that idea so here we are

What are some movies/books that had an amazing beginning, but then failed on the follow up?  Keep in mind that people are going to disagree with you, it's nothing personal if someone dislikes your favorite movie of all time

On the novel side for me are the sequels to Ender's Game (except "Ender in Exile", that one was great again) and the sequels to Hyperion.  For me both these sequels got really philosophical.  I'm not big into philosophical sci-fi as it seems like ever other chapter is a big rehash of some moral dilemma the main character is going through (in speaker for the dead, this came in the form of "are they Ramen or Varelse" and was discussed ad nauseum for the rest of the series)

On the movie side were the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.  I view movie 2 and 3 in the series as one giant movie that was split in the middle (I also view Matrix 2 and 3 like this, but I actually like those).  By the time you came to conclusion nothing really made sense anymore it was just one giant random free for all.

On the TV side Lost was a major sequel that flopped.  Designed to be a single made for TV special, it was so successful that they decided to run with it without giving it the proper time to think up a plot.  Adding to the mess was the writers' strike that "Lost" the plot even further (look a polar bear!) until they hit the giant reboot button in the last episode that made the whole thing supernatural and recursive (my wife was an avid fan so I was forced to endure it )
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

SN

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Sounds like the "Bobby Ewing stepping out of the shower" moment.

Jaws 2 was just OK but Jaws 3(d) was utter rubbish!
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

spurious

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:45 pm

Highlander was fantastic

Highlander 2 was a disaster

Highlander 3 was reasonable and carried on the story as if 2 didn't exist .. genius!

chorlton

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Heroes went the same way as Lost. Excellent first series which just lost it from series 2 onwards.

abishur

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:15 pm

spurious said:

Highlander was fantastic

Highlander 3 was reasonable and carried on the story as if 2 didn't exist .. genius!

arg I had forgotten about Highlander 2!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

johnbeetem

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:26 pm

spurious said:

Highlander 2 is indeed egregious.  I remember that both Siskel and Ebert agreed that it was the worst movie of the year.  However, for an absolutely terrible movie it is surprisingly entertaining.  Sean Connery knows it's a terrible movie, but sees it as an good opportunity for some harmless fun.  Michael Ironside is so over-the-top that he's hilarious.  I recommend seeing it with a group of friends, preferably intoxicated.

I thought Jaws 2 was terrible.  Everything that made Jaws great was missing in Jaws 2.

I thought Futureworld was terrible.  Obviously much bigger budget than Westworld, but money doesn't make a great movie.

Babe 2 was awful.  None of the charm of the original.  Same problem with big budget as Futureworld.

andri

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Vista?

LOL.

JeremyF

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:16 am

Well there was Grease 2, if we're going to talk about movies.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

Chromatix

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:43 am

Commercially, Freespace 2 was considered a failure - and thereby killed the entire genre of 3D space shooters.  No major publisher has dared to release one since.

Many people believe, however, that this failure had a lot more to do with the utter lack of promotion given to it by the publisher, rather than lack of market or quality.  Quality wise, it was definitely better than the original.

The expansion campaign for the original, however, definitely fits the "failure of quality" description.  Silent Threat was utter tripe in terms of storyline and gameplay, although the other elements were at least serviceable.

However, after porting the original game and the expansion to the open-sourced FS2 engine, the community rewrote Silent Threat extensively, and came up with considerably improved story and gameplay - to the point where it is as much worth playing as any of the better user-made expansions.

They even managed to retcon it into better continuity with FS2, eg. the Hades being destroyed in Deneb (as seen clearly in the FS2 intro cinematic) rather than elsewhere (as in Silent Threat original).  Admittedly that was due to the cutscene artists not paying attention, but who can blame them?
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

riggsre

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Raiders Of The Lost Arc (Brilliant - edge of seat) Temple Of Doom (Sad) - Last Crusade (Good again)

grumpyoldgit

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:54 pm

I don't think the sequel to World War I was very popular.

Ravenous

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:06 pm

I suppose I could mention the three PREQUELS that failed - I'm fairly neutral actually but Star Wars die-hards know the ones I mean

Return to “Off topic discussion”