Tass

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:50 pm

Try Grass, by Sheri Tepper - interesting take on potential post-colonisation issues.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:35 am

I read quite a lot, at the moment I just finished the last book of the hunger games triology.

I am almost always reading several books simultaneously, so at the moment these are some of the books I am reading (in no particular order):

extremely loud and incredibly close, by Jonathan Safran Foer
Tom Lanoye's "Heldere hemel" (in Dutch)
Terry Pratchett's unseen academicals
re-reading Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five
Tom Holland's Rubicon (non fiction)

and

Bruce Sterling's Visionary in Residence.

RobotGuy

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Well, as to what I am reading at the moment, I'd like to have said it was Neuromancer as that the book I'd selected on my Sony Reader once I had finished reading Laurell K. Hamilton's "Merry Gentry" series. However, before I'd actually started reading it, the eBook versions of Harry Potter came out (damn you J.K.Rowling [shakes fist]), so it got pushed back 7 books or so in my list.

As for some Scifi recommendations:

Saturn's Children by Charles Stross, which is quite a homage to Heinlein's Friday and has a spaceship on the UK cover (much better than the American 'Not Safe to read on the bus' cover)

Blindsight by Peter Watts

David Weber's Honor Harrington series. Nice military SciFi with a load of politics thrown it. As Lob0426 mentioned above some are available from the Baen Free Library which is good as you can see if you like it before committing to the entire (long) series.

riffraff

Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:37 pm

Abishur said:

Ender's Game has always been a favorite of mine.  The sequels he did in the Ender's saga weren't too great (IMHO) they got a little too philosophical but the side series he did (Ender's Shadow) were much better...

... I use Project Gutenberg to get interesting books for free to read on my kindle.

Just finished re-reading Shadow series, I'd downloaded them last year, and having exhausted my Amazon budget for the year, went into PG freebies. OSC is a much better writer now than in his early days.

I'd read all of the ERB John Carter of Mars stories shortly after and was intrigued when I found out about the movie, but after hearing so many bad reviews, I guess I'll wait for DVD. What really frightens me is the prospect of photos of JCM Cosplay disasters that are going to start appearing on Facebook and blogs as chubby pasty-skinned nerds squeeze into various contraptions comprised of leather thongs. D=

Right now I'm scouring Amazon for the freebies. Currently reading one, Paul Levine's Mortal Sin, which should settle quite well as I was a huge John D. MacDonald fan when I was a tyke.

CrashlanderXL

Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:10 pm

I'd second anything by Pratchett. The Discworld books are often sadly overlooked or dismissed by the highbrow tolkien crowd (their loss). Terry's sense of humour is blacker and drier than coal, and always an easy read.

For Sci-Fi I'd recommend some of the Warhammer 40,000 books. Not all of them as they can be very samey, but for a good strong plot, excellent characters, and a fine dose of asskickery, anything by Dan Abnett will serve well - Eisenhorn and Ravenor are detective and desciple respectively. They chase down powers that stupidly outnumber and outgun them, and Gaunts Ghosts has been described as "Sharpe in space".

Currently reading Terry Brooks "Running With the Demon" post apocolyptic meets fantasy... and....

"The Watcher" by Charles Maclean - surreal psychological horror about a man who commits a terrible act, but doesn't know why he did it or what is real or hallucination any more.

AndyG

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi Liz  - Currently reading 'The Blade Itself'- Joe Abercrombie but my recent top Sci-Fi read has to be the Quantum Gravity series by Justina Robson - soooo much fun...

brian_reiter

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:03 am

The Joe Abercrombie stuff is entertaining stuff. Just finished off the latest in Chris Woodings' Chronicles of the Ketty Jay series, not sure if its fantasy or science fiction, great fun though.

RaTTuS

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:21 am

This thread ?

but seriously

Hardwired by Jon Walter Williams
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

gimliflea

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 am

Has he/you tried Ian M banks. My current favourite. (Note he also writes 'straight' fiction as Ian Banks, also very good but usually no spaceships!)

1+1 now is it 10 or 2?

RuudKuin

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Peter Mayle; Toujours Provence.

Funny stories of his life in southern France.

kf6snj

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:03 am

I am presently reading both "Music Theory for Dummies" and "Music Composition for Dummies". I am planning to reread "Unix for Dummies" as soon as I get my Rasberry PI.

AlArenal

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Just started Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl. A very interesting Sci-Fi / Steampunk story so far.

JustThisGuy

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:09 am

I'm currently reading a 5 book set of economic SciFi titled 'An Inquiry Into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations' by some old dead guy named Adam Smith.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

Justanick

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:23 am

Whispers of the dead

Teutatis

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan, again, one of my favourites lol.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Altere.....057507390X

As RaTTuS mentioned before, Hardwired is pretty good.

r3d4

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:30 pm

Hagakure    (Yamamoto Tsunetomo)
The Science Delusion    (Rupert Sheldrake)
To Mock a Mockingbird and Other Logic Puzzles   (Raymond Smullyan)
Unix For the Beginning Mage   ( Joe Topjian )

Tails of a Shaman's Apprentice   (Mark J.Plotkin)
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-
what about spike milligan?

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:53 pm

gimliflea said:

Has he/you tried Ian M banks. My current favourite. (Note he also writes 'straight' fiction as Ian Banks, also very good but usually no spaceships!)

1+1 now is it 10 or 2?

I usually read him as Iain M, I rather appreciate the spaceship names.   His straight fiction is variable, but some of the novels, like The Business and Complicity, are good reads.  I read The Wasp Factory in 1985 - I've the first edition embossed cover paperback.... 

Currently I'm re-reading Jasper Ffordes "Thursday Next" series...
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

spamel

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:18 pm

I am on the final book of the Chronicles now, I will be sad to finish it as I have really enjoyed it. Got to agree with the Dan Abnett stuff too, and most of the Horus Heresy stuff is good although there are the odd lame books in there. I rarely quit a book, but there have been two in the series so far…….

Return to “Off topic discussion”