judderman

Re: Petrol Nonsense

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi All

What on earth is going on here and why?

For those unfamiliar with what's going on in the UK, there's the threat of a possible strike of petrol tanker drivers, at least 7 days away, if it happens at all - plenty of time to get through a full tank of petrol if you do any sort of mileage.

So, if things carry on as normal you run out, there'll be petrol in the pumps to fill up, and if a filling station is running low, they will be getting a delivery in the usual course of business.

Because of a couple of silly statements by the government about stocking up, when I filled up last night (cos I was empty, & it's the first time it's cost me over £90 grrrrr!),  there were people on the forecourt putting  less than a tenner's worth in.

Have people gone mad?  Is it mass hysteria? Are you filling up tiny amounts & can explain what I'm missing?  Will forecourts be deserted in a couple of days cos everyone has full tanks?

Regards in puzzlement

grumpyoldgit

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:05 pm

I've managed to fill the bath and the garden water butts so I should be OK for a while.

judderman

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Be careful during hose-pipe bans - it plays havoc with the lawn!

Could make a barbie go with a bang too

Regards, Stewart

n3tw0rk5

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm a tad miffed to say the least, took me 20 mins of queuing to manage to fill my motorbike up as it was running on fumes after passing at least 5 petrol stations that had big queues on the way to work tonight.

The thing that really annoyed me was not the fact that people were filling jerry cans as well, but that a lot of fuel was being spilt on the forcourt, so there was sand everywhere to soak it up.

Not an issue if your in a car but bloody slippy if you on a motorbike!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:27 pm

It appears that petrol is more in demand than diesel, so I'm ok.  I filled up to the gills just before the hoo-ha started and haven't done more than 30 miles since.  Needles just coming off the end stop...

*smug expression*

Remember don't use a jerrycan!

(I'm surprised the minister concerned hasn't been pulled up for upseting the Germans too...)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:45 pm

Think I drove past about 5 garages on way home this evening (8.30), no more than two cars at each pump.

I've got three jerry cans in the garage (for use in car in avatar). Must fill 'em up. Highly illegal of course to have that much petrol at home. But then, with two cars in the driveway with >40litre tanks each, one wonders why there is such a low limit.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

SN

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:48 pm

It is a bit barmy, thetwo local stations near me had queues this evening. I shall remain smug with a full tank and a half across our two cars, my wife having one mile commute and I having the extremely taxing 17 feet commute to my home office
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Smartybones

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:09 pm

ugh, its making me very annoyed about this fuel lark....

the thing is, I dont rely of petrol to get me to and from work, but I do rely on petrol to bring my customers to and from our hotel...

The other thing, I think the gubbermint are pulling a fast one... the more fuel people have, then the potential for a strike is lessened. what's the point of a strike if everyone has full tanks of petrol? Everyone is going to get 7 days notice to top up if they do go on strike. its against the law to picket a petrol distribution centre or refinery. All they will do is call in drivers who fancy a bit of extra cash...

then we have pastygate.... Cameron cant even tell the truth about where he last bought a Cornish pasty... can he ever be trusted?

the more imprtant issue of the day is that the big three electric suppliers have pulled the plug (excuse the pun) on the building of two nuclear power stations.... give it 5 years and we are going to have blackouts due to over the rise in demand of electric on a national grid that has not enough investment... we will end up having to buy electric from the French......

Andre_P

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Tomorrow I shall probably need to drive 200 miles because the DVLA will have a 'computer says no' moment, but hey, you know I have nothing better to do.

Ok semi self inflicted I forgot to pick up the SORN document, but I find it really rather annoying that I have to give them a number that they already have, they have already sent to me but can't do it again over the phone. Grrr

So it means that I either refuel or go by train. Train actually sounds attractive .

Lynbarn

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:23 pm

smartybones said:

the more imprtant issue of the day is that the big three electric suppliers have pulled the plug (excuse the pun) on the building of two nuclear power stations.... give it 5 years and we are going to have blackouts due to over the rise in demand of electric on a national grid that has not enough investment... we will end up having to buy electric from the French......

Er - actually, we already do - have been for years! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.....ss-Channel

Phil Spiegel

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:54 pm

JamesH said:

I"ve got three jerry cans in the garage (for use in car in avatar). Must fill "em up. Highly illegal of course to have that much petrol at home. But then, with two cars in the driveway with >40litre tanks each, one wonders why there is such a low limit.

The tanks in your car are probably crash-protected (unless a certain USA-made Pickup truck)  and in the UK subject to annual inspection -the MoT – ( 2nd in a week for me, tomorrow, but better than 2 on the same day a few years ago 8-( ).  Access is probably restricted to a keyholder.

Jerry cans (I assume the minister meant the smaller plastic types, but used the equivalent of "Hoover" or "Biro" are unchecked and may have little security…. and be close to buildings with sleeping occupants….??…

Here is a definition (UK/EU applicable)

A jerrican is defined within Chapter 1.2 of the 2011 ADR as a metal or plastics packaging of rectangular or polygonal cross-section with one or more orifices , a definition which includes the traditional jerrycan but which also covers a wide range of other packagings.

The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garage or within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres or two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.
Other lower limits may apply to what you can carry in your vehicle: For example, on ferries, we had to stop carrying a 10l diesel spare, as the limit is 5litres.  Gas cylinders /cartidges (not on caravans - which are just turned off)  having to be handed to the Purser and collected on departure, etc

Andre_P

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:04 am

I have to eat my words .

Chap at the DVLA advises there is a 14 day grace period, so no long drive and wasted fuel .

jamesh

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:49 am

I tried to get a tax disk for my camper yesterday online. It's been sorned for the last month. Wanted the disk to start on 1st April. There is no option to specify the start date, so it wanted to tax from beginning of March. It's was the 29th! I'll just have to wait until the 1st, but then its a 5 day delivery for the disk itself. Which takes it past the point I need the van. Which is why I wanted to order up front for it to start in April. Dumb system.

Just thought I would mention it!
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Chris.Rowland

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:15 am

There's a suggestion in the FT that the petrol "crisis" has been generated to boost sales at the end of this quarter and that this could be enough to stop us officially going into recession.

rpt

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:52 am

JamesH said:

I tried to get a tax disk for my camper yesterday online. It's been sorned for the last month. Wanted the disk to start on 1st April. There is no option to specify the start date, so it wanted to tax from beginning of March. It's was the 29th! I'll just have to wait until the 1st, but then its a 5 day delivery for the disk itself. Which takes it past the point I need the van. Which is why I wanted to order up front for it to start in April. Dumb system.

Can you not get your disc from the post office?

The system actually works well for renewals as there is a 5 day grace period if you renew your disc online before the end of the month. But that's no help if you don't already have a tax disc.

jamesh

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:20 am

I'd need to find a post office - living out in the sticks make that a harder task than you might imagine! Still, I reckon if I get it on April 1st and pay, then its on the computer, so even if I don't have the disk by the trip, I can prove I have actually paid for one and the computer says 'Yes'!

Lynbarn

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 am

Just heard on the news: A woman has been badly burned whilst transferring petrol from one container to another - in her kitchen - with the cooker on!

RaTTuS

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:12 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17558294 muppets they haven't even announced any strikes -

government tell people to panic buy ….

re woman burnt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-e.....e-17560534

at least next week there will e no queues when I have to buy some
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Phil Spiegel

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:26 am

They never have issued 'post-dated' Tax Discs – and are equally harsh when cashing one in – if any part of the month has elapsed, no refund.

Thankfully our Maxus Camper has just passed its MoT without problems … but we also use at all times of the year, because it transports railway layouts to shows ..so no SORN months for us.

jamesh

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:31 am

Was not bothering with SORN, but realised when get tax that we hadn't got an MOT, so easier just to SORN for a month since we were not going to need it, and get MOT at leisure. £30 for MOT and passed OK (but then its a 56 plate so would hope it's in good nick!)

Phil Spiegel

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:41 am

That's one reason I prefer to have tax and Mot occur about 6 months apart if possible ... unfortunately I've gone the other way, and both vehicles expire MoTs in days of each other, and are now only 1 month apart for Tax.  At least Insurance renews midway between them!

Ravenous

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:48 am

Lynbarn said:

Just heard on the news: A woman has been badly burned whilst transferring petrol from one container to another - in her kitchen - with the cooker on!

Pouring into a glass jug.  40% burns too, very nasty.

Andre_P

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi JamesH :

If you have got the MOT and the insurance sorted out then you can apply online. It's effective immediately I believe. If you get 'buzzed' by a Police car the automatic check will find that everything is ok. I've driven around for a couple of weeks 'electronically' up todate but with the old tax disc.

Might be worth a quick ping the DVLC to make sure but I'm reasonably sure.

Andre'

jamesh

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Andre_P said:

Hi JamesH :

If you have got the MOT and the insurance sorted out then you can apply online. It's effective immediately I believe. If you get 'buzzed' by a Police car the automatic check will find that everything is ok. I've driven around for a couple of weeks 'electronically' up todate but with the old tax disc.

Might be worth a quick ping the DVLC to make sure but I'm reasonably sure.

Andre'

That was the problem - wanted to apply online to start the disk on April 1st, but it insisted on backdating to March 1st. Now just going to wait until April 1st, and hope disk arrives before trip - as you say - it's all on the computer.

grumpyoldgit

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:25 pm

My campervan has just gone through annual service and MOT. Also need to renew tax for 1st April so feeling a bit borasic. Not helped by needing a corroded crossmember replaced. Found a leak in the roof as well so still a bit of work to do. Will be off for a few days at Easter. £80 to fill up with petrol and a little concerned about the potential strike, though I gather negotiation is on the cards.

Return to “Off topic discussion”