bob_binz

Re: Input magazine

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:13 pm

All this nostalgia led me to root around for all kinds of stuff from my speccy days.  There used to be a magazine called Input that basically taught programming for most of the micros of the day. If anyone's interested, I happened to come across a forum post that directed me to this page:

http://www.bombjack.org/commod...../input.htm

which has PDFs for all 48 editions of said mag.  Probably not a great deal of use for programming on the Pi, but interesting reading all the same, IMO.

Enjoy

BBz

Ravenous

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:25 pm

One pound per issue! Oh the nostalgia!

In fact I think I dimly remember this being advertised on TV.  Oh the aging!

grumpyoldgit

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:26 pm

They had TV back then?

Ravenous

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Yes but it was 4:3 and mono sound, cheeky.  (Anyone remember the introduction of NICAM?)

These days someone could probably take these PDFs, extract the text listings automatically, encode it as sound and play it out through the soundcard, to go straight into the tape input of one of the original machines.  (As I type this one of you guys probably already knows how to do it.)

Robert_M

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:05 pm

bob_binz said:

All this nostalgia led me to root around for all kinds of stuff from my speccy days.  There used to be a magazine called Input that basically taught programming for most of the micros of the day. If anyone's interested, I happened to come across a forum post that directed me to this page:

http://www.bombjack.org/commod...../input.htm

which has PDFs for all 48 editions of said mag.  Probably not a great deal of use for programming on the Pi, but interesting reading all the same, IMO.

Enjoy

BBz

+1

Thanks!  :-)

This goes along well with the "BBC BASIC for Windows" that another user pointed me toward.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Wonderful stuff.

I've got an Usborne book on assembley code from that era, illustrated with little robots shunting the bits in and out of pigeon holes....

Ah, here it is!

all in 48 pages...
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Lynbarn

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Ravenous said:

Yes but it was 4:3 and mono sound, cheeky.  (Anyone remember the introduction of NICAM?)

These days someone could probably take these PDFs, extract the text listings automatically, encode it as sound and play it out through the soundcard, to go straight into the tape input of one of the original machines.  (As I type this one of you guys probably already knows how to do it.)

Yes! Sadly, I can also remember what it stand for "Near-Instantaneous Complex Audio Multiplex" That was probably all I knew about it then too

SN

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:52 pm

I have the I Spy Book Of Computing from about "92. Apparently networks can go between floors of a building? Amazing don"t you think?
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Then there's the Ladybird "How it works... The Computer".

http://davidguy.brinkster.net/computer/

All big iron stuff, urban legend says that this particular book was issued to military top brass to introduce them to the new technology.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Phil Spiegel

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Near Instantaneous Companded Audio Multiplex ( NICAM)

One of the fastest kits I have ever built - and added into our Philips TV of the time, which only had the german stero system in it (A UK model), and then I did a 2nd too, to get stereo for a VHS HiFi recoder.

Crystal Palace was/is always a good transmitter for early system testing ... available before 'public' announcement - eg Nicam, Digital Terrestrial.. even though I'm technically in Hannongton's area.

Andre_P

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:37 am

Hi Phil Spiegel,

Maybe a silly question but did you ever do any work with the IBA guys Crawley Court ?

The reason for asking is that I've just left the group that they have evolved into.

Return to “Off topic discussion”