ProDigit

Re: Is there a way to block certain users on this forum?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:33 am

Certain users appear to be very rude.
I would appreciate if I could just block them,and not see their responses.

It would make my contribution to this forum a lot more enjoyable!

Any hope in a feat like this being enabled on this forum?
The more users, the more this feat would be requested!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:44 am

We just got rid of a couple of concern trollers to whom you may be referring. Hopefully that helps.

But the idea of blocking certain users posts is a good one - seen it on other forums so not impossible.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

RaTTuS

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:53 am

not in this forum software - but other software is coming
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

tufty

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm

This is probably gonna sound rude, but you might want to upgrade your wetware, or at least use its inbuilt "ignore" function. It"s really simple to use, viz:

- see comment
- "yeah, yeah"
- (optional) <sigh>
- move on

Simon.

ProDigit

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:05 pm

tufty said:

This is probably gonna sound rude, but you might want to upgrade your wetware, or at least use its inbuilt "ignore" function. It"s really simple to use, viz:

- see comment
- "yeah, yeah"
- (optional) <sigh>
- move on

Simon.

Problem with me is, I can't resist; LOL

I probably am better off not seeing some comments.

tufty

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:19 pm

ProDigit said:

I probably am better off not seeing some comments.

No, you're not.  If you have them "hidden" there's always a way to "unhide" them, and you'll be tempted to do it.  Believe me, I've been there.  You'll think "no, maybe they're being nice", and unhide them, only to get another big kick in the bijoux de famille.

Ignore features and friend / foe lists don't work.

Indeed, in the days when I hung out on usenet, I only ever had one or two people on my killfile, and they were consummate spammers - the signal to noise ratio here has historically been significantly better than usenet (even the more civilised bits of it) ever managed, and people are usually interested in helping rather than hurting.

However, as has been pointed out, when you've repeated the same useful information for the third time (which information features in the FAQ, is repeated on a 10 times daily basis, and which totally answers the question, or at least points at where the poster should look or ask the question) to the same poster in the same thread, people do tend to get a bit snappy.

That's what's happened to you.

Take this from someone who was on usenet when it was still delivered on tape:

If you've just been (as the young 'uns say) "butthurt" on the internets, there's a few questions you need to ask yourself:

Was the person who butthurted me joking?
If not, did I deserve to get butthurted?
If not, am I sure I didn't deserve it even just a little tiny bit?
ORLY? 
If not, was I trying to insert something factual into Wikipedia?

You'll usually find yourself dropping out at the first or second question.

Andre_P

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi ProDigit,

By the sounds of it it may be possible to 'block' seeing posts from various users in the future.

However if it does become available I would recommend not actually using it.

The reason being that if you always hear perspectives that you agree with you won't learn anything beyond what you know.

Also you would deny yourself a chance of proposing an opposing point of view if there is something that you disagree with.

If there is  a user who is harrassing you, bullying, and being an ARSE, then get in touch with the Admins and work the issue out there, I am sure they will be able to provide an appropriate solution and provide an independent point of view.

Sometimes, just sometimes you need a bit of grit in the mix to spur you onto other things.

Andre'

Michael

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:51 am

If you do come across users that are being rude on a consistent basis, please do drop the moderators (not Liz, Eben and Jack – they are busy enough) a PM with a link to the offending post(s).  If we agree, we can warn the user or take temporary or permanent action.

The moderators do try to read every post between them but generally take a light touch when it comes to banning – however we are more likely to take action if a few of you complain and on review it is clear that the rules have been broken.

dognosh

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:24 am

So michael, if I can get a few of us to complain about you, can we get you banned ? Lol

Chris.Rowland

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:25 am

A PM?  I use the "Report Post" button.

Notifing the moderators seems to me to be better than responding publically because it breaks the abuse - response cycle.   I do it as little as I can.

Another tactic is to write the reply you want to send, then read it, say "I can't send this" - and delete it!

Lynbarn

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:14 am

dognosh said:

So michael, if I can get a few of us to complain about you, can we get you banned ? Lol

Nope - You can't get rid of admins THAT easily!!!

Lynbarn

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:17 am

Chris Rowland said:

A PM?  I use the "Report Post" button.

Notifing the moderators seems to me to be better than responding publically because it breaks the abuse - response cycle.   I do it as little as I can.

Another tactic is to write the reply you want to send, then read it, say "I can't send this" - and delete it!

I think the "Report Post" button goes to Liz who, as Michael mentioned, already has more than enough to cope with, but a PM to any of the others will get investigated. Certainly agree about not responding on the list though. Thanks for making that point.

Michael

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Lynbarn said:

dognosh said:

Nope - You can't get rid of admins THAT easily!!!

Oh   Damn.

dutchgypsy

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:47 pm

it would be very nice to block all admins aside from liz eben and jack... i understand from the Rpi end that they need to keep it civil but personally i find the "annoying/out there" posts to be the most entertaining and occasionally also informative. i would like to here more from the community even if it is angry or crazy and less from the admins about how annoying or rude other posts are. i was under the impression that was the idea of a forum and at the very least it is the point of the off topic section...

grumpyoldgit

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:57 pm

dutchgypsy said:

it would be very nice to block all admins aside from liz eben and jack... i understand from the Rpi end that they need to keep it civil but personally i find the "annoying/out there" posts to be the most entertaining and occasionally also informative. i would like to here more from the community even if it is angry or crazy and less from the admins about how annoying or rude other posts are. i was under the impression that was the idea of a forum and at the very least it is the point of the off topic section...

Have you tried Tipex?

Phil Spiegel

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Shouldn't 'Report Post' be automatically sent to whichever Moderators are on line - so that any of them can react promptly??  Seems the logical route to me.

A PM message to a specific Moderator may just miss them as they go off line and have a life.

With the migration to the new software, some thought needs to be given to spreading the workload and making urgent contacts accessible to those best in place to deal with it at the time.

grumpyoldgit

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Phil Spiegel said:

Shouldn't 'Report Post' be automatically sent to whichever Moderators are on line - so that any of them can react promptly??  Seems the logical route to me.

A PM message to a specific Moderator may just miss them as they go off line and have a life.

With the migration to the new software, some thought needs to be given to spreading the workload and making urgent contacts accessible to those best in place to deal with it at the time.

I think you are missing the point. It is the admins that the trolls are complaining about. Telling a troll to calm down and get a life is considered victimisation, apparently.

Phil Spiegel

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Did my 'get a life' cause confusion: I nearly wrote ...[for the modereator's] to get their life back away from here and its hassles.

My comment was aimed at the Function of the Button name 'Report Post': which on other website I use sends a message to the moderators/admin.

tufty

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:34 pm

In the case of the OP, the first post that they had received which could be considered to be "rude" (as opposed to the usual "check the FAQ" etc helpful hints which they had already received) was from an admin, although the OP has been delicate enough not to directly mention it.

As for the rest, it's generally much more helpful to refer to people as "posters" rather than "trolls", and if anyone needs to calm down and get a life it might well be the man with the highest post count.

Just sayin', like.

grumpyoldgit

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Yup. I need to get out more. But then I'm not the one getting wound up about stuff.

Ray_GTI-R

Tue May 22, 2012 11:10 pm

I vote that the "Foe" feature is ultimately self-defeating, antagonistic in name, the potential for misuse is enormous and should therefore be removed.

(Having moderated a couple of online groups for more than 7 years I think it's safe to say it's the moderators' job to make sure EVERY message is read by a moderator, to keep the peace, spot the troublemaker(s) and calm things down before they escalate.)
Other forums have a "not interested"-like message blocking switch that people can use in order to ignore authors they find unwelcome. Far better than giving the the troublesome author the tool to declare other people as "Foe"s.)

Frankly, I think that the whole "Foe" idea is quite bizzarre and certainly inappropriate for a charity foundation forum.
(PS - I see the foundation has taken onboard my idea of revamping the forum/topics to better reflect the fact that the beast is now out there in the wild. Pat yourselves on the back for a job well done - it looks so much better than the previous early effort!)

Return to “Off topic discussion”