shirro

Re: Ordered something else to fill the time

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:04 am

I was wondering how many people have had their interest sparked by the Raspberry Pi and gone and bought themselves another ARM SBC or something a bit more hardware oriented like an Arduino for the first time to fill in the long wait.

meltwater

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:42 am

I would hope a lot (the foundation have said many times, the RPi is not the only solution), but I don"t think that will take the shine off the Raspberry Pi for most anyway.

HARDWARE

Personally I got a TI LaunchPad which is a little electronics dev board ($5), that has been great for getting back into the basics of electronics and wiring things to GPIO pins.

Also allowed me to start making some development modules for experimenting with (led banks and switchs etc).

Even when I get my RPi it will be useful since I can probably use it to feed analogue data in it"s ADCs and pass it to the RPi.  Plus, I can test circuits without risking the "precious one".

SOFTWARE

On the software side, I've tried a few things, but the best solution I've found so far is from TeamPython, a live iso of RacyPy2: While you wait for your Raspberry Pi, why not use RacyPy2?

This has a few advantages:

1. It is a live ISO, so it will boot directly from CD with everything ready to go.

2. It keeps all your session data on your hard-drive or a usb key.

3. The very handy bit for me…I can run it as a VM (using VMware or similar) and boot to it in a window or I can boot using the CD and use fully, but either way the same user data is picked up from my usb key.  If I want to use a different machine, I just use the CD or iso file and plug in my usb key!

I did use a few other options but I found myself re-configuring and installing etc over and over and not really getting down to doing any fun stuff.  The above is up and running in a few mins.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

cnxsoft

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:15 am

I was interested in the Beaglebaord-xM or Pandaboard, but they would cost me around 250 and 300 US dollars in total (because shipping and taxes) vs slightly over 50 USD for the Pi, and I have a hard time justifying myself spending this kind of money just to play around.

hzrnbgy

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

I already have the PandaBoard but way too expensive for the one I'm building. Just need a basic web+ mysql + php server which the RPi should be more than capable of

shirro

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:58 am

I saw an Australian store email about receiving stock of Beaglebones earlier in the week and I think they sold out in about 2 hours. This is probably the way it has been working since well before the Pi but I wonder what will happen with the number of people the Pi buzz is dragging in.

As part of my Pi preparations I did some cross compiling and ran some things in QEMU but checking my order daily is getting to me so I ordered a Freescale board. I see others have been getting Pandas and Beagles. I have been thinking about getting an ARM dev board for awhile but I don"t think it would have happened without the interest the Pi has generated. I still hope the Pi arrives first but it isn"t a zero sum game. Sort of like owning a Spectrum and a BBC. Or an Atari and Amiga. [not that I could afford that as a kid. More like a zx80 and cycle a couple of km to use someone elses computer]

Kernel

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:36 am

Well I have an android phone so I downloaded a custom rom and flashed it onto my phone - but now that is done I'm not sure what to do now!

otherwise I have been collecting lots of cables, sd cards etc!

pandapi

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:41 am

shirro - would you mind sharing what you purchased as i'm after something else also.

What OS does it run? Ideally i'd like it to run debian ARM. My perfect device to compliment my Pis would be something equally low in power consumption with a stronger CPU but not interested in GPU performance. I don't know where to start! £50 would be good price, otherwise i'll just wait for additional Pi

I'll still be buying at least 3 RPis when they're available, don't worry foundation

shirro

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:24 am

pandapi said:

shirro – would you mind sharing what you purchased as i"m after something else also.

I ordered a Freescale i.mx53 quick start board which is a bare board like the Pi but is a similar spec to an Efika MX Smartop (Cortex A8). Nowhere near as fast as a PandaBoard ES but hopefully a lot cooler (it gets very hot where I live) and a bit cheaper.

Unfortunately it costs 4 Raspberry Pi but the extra memory (1GB) and ARMv7 core will be handy for building packages for the Pi. I have a few other uses planned for it as well. It will probably run Ubuntu to start with and then Debian once I get it working. I don"t expect there will be much in the way of community support for it.

I think a BeagleBone is about the closest you can get to a Pi in price and performance but is over the £50 mark. I guess the Beagles are available and have different capabilities and are more mature. It seems hard to beat the Pi on price, GPU and community. I guess it depends on what you want it for.

exartemarte

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:45 am

Well, right now I'm happily trying to get a Picaxe to talk to an AVR – a trivial matter on the face of it, but with serial comms nothing is ever quite as simple as it seems. This is part of a small mobile robot project – one of several – which serves no useful purpose other than to keep me entertained and keep my (retired) grey matter turning over. I didn't have the time for this sort of thing when I was working.

I don't envisage using my RPi, when it arrives, for robotics – initially at any rate – although I noticed that was a suggested use in one of the videos. I can imagine circumstances in which it might be, but for hobby robotics generally I don't see RPi replacing the excellent (and smaller and cheaper) microcontrollers and modules already available.

My first Pi, when I've finished playing with it, is likely to end up with a USB hard drive as network storage for our various desktop computers and laptops. A second, if I can overcome my considerable reservations about the Linux OS, may replace an ancient desktop PC provided originally for use by visiting daughters and their offspring and which now serves as a standby PC come Web browser / Skype terminal. There is something to be said for a Skype terminal which is silent, uses little power, and can left on permanently like a telephone.

pandapi

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks, i'll have a look at them all.

I guess my £50 was ambitious but £100ish isn't too bad for something with a load more RAM and CPU grunt.

I had been looking at those sheeva/guru plug computers also. They're fairly reasonable at about £65 but i've heard bad things about overheating.

So compiling on ARMv7 will work on the Pi's v6? Interesting

shirro

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:18 pm

pandapi said:

I had been looking at those sheeva/guru plug computers also. They're fairly reasonable at about £65 but i've heard bad things about overheating.

Yes, I have considered those in the past as well. I have a few linux based routers around with usb storage and printers and things hanging off them so not sure what I would do with another headless computer.

I would be using an ARMv6 toolchain and I don't really know how well it will work. I don't want to cross compile on my MacBook and my wife is looking at me funny when I spend too much time on her Ubuntu desktop.

darkcity

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:04 pm

meltwater said:

I

SOFTWARE

On the software side, I"ve tried a few things, but the best solution I"ve found so far is from TeamPython, a live iso of RacyPy2: While you wait for your Raspberry Pi, why not use RacyPy2?

what would be cool is a version of Racy Puppy with QEMU already set up to emulate RPi

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:11 pm

I've asked before to no avail - anyone know of a working on Linux OpenGL ES 2.0  python library?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

nick.mccloud

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:04 pm

meltwater said:

Personally I got a TI LaunchPad which is a little electronics dev board ($5), that has been great for getting back into the basics of electronics and wiring things to GPIO pins.

I was going to order one of these from Farnell but they are on back order with a notify me when they are in link instead.

Deja vu???

cnxsoft

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:52 pm

JamesH said:

I've asked before to no avail - anyone know of a working on Linux OpenGL ES 2.0  python library?

Sorry, I don't know but it might be on the todo list of PyOpenGL http://sourceforge.net/tracker.....tid=355988

ronnylov

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:58 pm

I bought an AVR programmer, some components like resistors, capasitors, breadboard ans two AVR microcontrollers to play with. I am using avr-gcc on Linux with avrdude and usbasp programmer.

Hopefully I will be able to use these tools also on a raspberry pi and it should be rather easy to interface an AVR to raspberry pi. I have actually not ordered any raspberry pi yet, I will wait until initial child deseaces has been cured.

johnbeetem

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:00 pm

pandapi said:

I think it's just a matter of setting the correct compiler options.

Nurbit

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:39 pm

I already have an arduino, pic programmer and some picaxe chips but they are very different creatures to a Pi.

One other thing I bought was a "Chameleon-avr" which combines a propeller chip and an arduino bootflashed avr chip.

That does act more like a low power computer but it's still nothing like a Pi and support for the thing is pretty much non-existant.

If the Pi were out last year, I wouldn't have wasted £60 on getting the thing from America.

Going back to the Arduino, I do plan on using it along side my Pi and seeing what interesting embedded devices I can come up with

jamieoliver22

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:51 pm

I am quite tempted to buy an Ardiuno Uno, as I have found some quite nice starter kits around to go with it (with lots of components, breadboard, and manuals). I have done very little in terms of electronics, and think it would be a nice thing to have a play around with and hopefully learn something new.

And once my Raspberry Pi arrives, I should like to see if I can interface the two together.

Anyone else done/doing something similar?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:05 pm

pandapi said:

In general compilers supplied with a linux distro will by default build code with the same settings that were used to build that port of the linux distro and therefore will be compatible with anything that port of the linux distro is compatible with.

So if you compile with the compilers supplied with debian armel and don't specify otherwise then you will produce armv4t code with software floating point and the softflat abi.

OTOH if you compile with the compilers supplied with debian armhf and don't specify otherwise you will produce armv7 (specifically thumb2) code with hardware floating point and the hardfloat abi.

pandapi

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:18 pm

thanks to all the people replying about my compiling question!

I'm a java guy so i'm not fully up on all the ins-and-outs of compiling for different architectures. Its more simple in my world

mkopack

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Pandapi: I'm in the same boat... I mainly do java stuff in grad school and work, so I don't usually pay too much attention to which OS I'm on or the issues of cross compiling. This whole Linux on ARM stuff has been interesting to say the least!

Lots to learn!

Blars

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:11 pm

nmcc said:

meltwater said:

I was going to order one of these from Farnell but they are on back order with a notify me when they are in link instead.

Deja vu???

Order direct from TI -- worldwide free shipping, frequently two-day or next-day.

meltwater

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:48 pm

nmcc said:

meltwater said:

Deja vu???

Order directly from TI included in the price worldwide shipping, got mine in a few days. Impressed!

Edit...

oops snap!

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

bill

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:56 pm

I've picked up a PIC32 starter kit and am learning the ins and outs of the MPLAB IDE.  There is now a 28 pin dip version of the PIC32 and I think I can design a terrific interface board for the Raspberry Pi.  I'm a hardware designer and its been a long time since I really did any software development.  I guess learning Python will come next.

Bill

Return to “Off topic discussion”