Alchemy

Re: New RS Components email

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:18 pm

I've received this email. And I know I'm out of luck on batch 1.

If people are looking for a pattern.

Chorlton1

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:33 pm

All the delays and problems makes me think even though the product does look good value and has been well hyped in the press maybe I should wait a little while before purchasing. If the delivery is such a problem I can't imagine what it would be like if there was a fault with the product when it arrives.

nugget

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:33 pm

I agree that the email doesn't really say a lot, slightly disappointing as whenever I get a raspberry-themed email from RS I'm hoping it's the email telling me to get my order in.

I was very pleased when I saw that the raspberry-pi is being sold by RS and Farnell. I've placed countless orders with both companies and both are excellent, usually next day delivery for in-stock items, and I honestly can't remember any occasions where they've messed up. It's quite surprising to read the contrasting views here.

The raspberry-pi is a special case though and personally I prefer RS's way of handling it, inviting controlled batches of people to order when they're ready seems like a much more civilised way than Farnell's free-for-all. I will of course purchase my Pi from whoever gives me the earliest delivery date, as I suspect most people will.

Kernel

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:33 pm

tbar said:

Kernel said:

Also GMail sent the email to the 'Spam' folder and I nearly deleted it by accident - well at least google knows which folder RS deserves to go into

Thanks for that info!! I just found two emails from RS in the Spam folder!

your welcome

tritonium said:

Its not their fault that their IT systems couldn't cope with the opening day deluge - their systems were quite adequate for dealing with the customers (industry) and THIER ordering habits, not the spotty public jumping on a me-too bandwagon (of which I'm one!!) 
It was their fault (and Farnell's) - they were warned by the foundation that they would get lots of traffic and assured the foundation that they could cope - they couldn't

Chorlton1 said:

All the delays and problems makes me think even though the product does look good value and has been well hyped in the press maybe I should wait a little while before purchasing. If the delivery is such a problem I can't imagine what it would be like if there was a fault with the product when it arrives.

I suppose something could go wrong - though there are unlikely to be manufacturing errors as they seem to test them quite rigorously - more chances of some component dying (but you take that risk with other products too)

Though another question is that as some people will be soldering on parts/cases etc. what if a problem develops then is it still covered or not as you have made changes?

grumpyoldgit

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Kernel said:

Though another question is that as some people will be soldering on parts/cases etc. what if a problem develops then is it still covered or not as you have made changes?

I think it's fair to say that once you get the soldering iron out you are invalidating any warranty.

deepthought

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

Yes. Just extracted the RS email from my Gmail spam folder. I've never found a genuine email in my spam folder before so I"m not sure what RS are doing.

Glad you mentioned that – I've just found the same message lurking in my Gmail spam folder so I"ve added a rule to keep RS emails out of there and add a RasPi label.

I doubt this is Gmail's fault, I've found the spam filter to be very accurate on the whole. Maybe it could detect that RS are sending out thousands of waffle-filled emails and thought it was "real" spam…

Raspberry wino

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 pm

I also had the RS email today, in with the spam I think. I was pleased to hear from them, even if it's not very informative. I also found their acknowledgment that I'd registered at all which was welcome.

I know it feels like RS and Farnell should be placing huge orders to clear the backlog of interest but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't. Knowing there's a lot of excitement about something they can sell doesn't mean they're bound to make a packet just by supplying everyone – there's a pretty low margin one each and a lot of overhead as each customer is only allowed one. And how many of these new contacts will become high-spending customers? Not many.

On top of that, if they have to risk any of their cash up-front for much bigger batches, when there have already been problems with the first 10k, why wouldn't they wait until they get some confirmation that the customers of the first lot are happy and next lot likely to be trouble-free?

robleady

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:44 am

Kernel said:

It was their fault (and Farnell's) - they were warned by the foundation that they would get lots of traffic and assured the foundation that they could cope - they couldn't

... and as has been discussed ad infinitum, "lots" is not exactly an accurate term to describe how much traffic they were going to get.

Yes the RS people that the Foundation had spoken to had been warned.  But that message was not passed down the chain to RS's own customer service staff or IT staff, let alone any of the third parties that manage the network (which is probably where the fault lay) or the servers.  And I doubt that anyone could really have predicted how big "lots" was actually going to be...

Regards,

Rob

Kernel

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:27 am

robleady said:

Kernel said:

... and as has been discussed ad infinitum, "lots" is not exactly an accurate term to describe how much traffic they were going to get.

Yes the RS people that the Foundation had spoken to had been warned.  But that message was not passed down the chain to RS's own customer service staff or IT staff, let alone any of the third parties that manage the network (which is probably where the fault lay) or the servers.  And I doubt that anyone could really have predicted how big "lots" was actually going to be...

Regards,

Rob

I used "lots" as I am not privy to whatever information RS were provided with - I expect the foundation give them something more substantial and useful to work with.

Well if no-one passed it down then it is due to an issue with the controls within RS as a company.

Well IIRC 100000 people are on the mailing list and about 200000 people have registered an interest since that day (not all on that day) - so you could come up with a reasonable estimate

grumpyoldgit

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:40 am

Is this conversation still going on, over two weeks after the event? Melt down was inevitable but I'm not sure anything else could have been done about it. Has no-one ever tried to buy Festival or concert tickets on the day they are released. Even the new iPad release was a problem. Systems just aren't built to withstand one-off feeding frenzy events. People increasingly want stuff now and are impatient. If systems are jammed the sensible thing to do is come back later but that is not in human nature. Instead we open more windows on our browser and hit F5 even more manically, as if that is going to resolve the problem.

Kernel

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:54 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

Is this conversation still going on, over two weeks after the event? Melt down was inevitable but I'm not sure anything else could have been done about it. Has no-one ever tried to buy Festival or concert tickets on the day they are released. Even the new iPad release was a problem. Systems just aren't built to withstand one-off feeding frenzy events. People increasingly want stuff now and are impatient. If systems are jammed the sensible thing to do is come back later but that is not in human nature. Instead we open more windows on our browser and hit F5 even more manically, as if that is going to resolve the problem.

There was a time when this was definitely true - but these days server providers can spool up massive amounts of cloud processing power at very short notice. So if companies designed systems for times when demand spiked and set them up these issues could be if not totally solved then at least reduced. Cloud systems can even be 'rented' per minute so you have accurate billing. However this all costs money and at the end of the day companies would rather save money and have people frustrated/their sites crash

Ray_GTI-R

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:29 am

Thanks for the Spam mail tip - just found my copy of the 15th March email in my Virgin (web based, automatically filtered) spam folder. So it's not just Gmail

I'm no email expert but perhaps the fault is in the following, maybe too-generic (?) email address buried in the depths of the email source code:-

Reply-To: "RS Online" <reply@eu.rs-email.com>

Anyway, it looks like I'm not going to get one of the 1st batch so will switch off 'till June/July for now ... but put up a periodic reminder to check that remote spam folder.

PS Thanks for posting this thread, otherwise I would never have known about the RS email.

Ray_GTI-R

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:00 am

Right. After a bit more digging it seems that the "spambound" RS email was an automated (?) and therefore spambound reply to my email enquiry for some updated info ... an enquiry that I normally put into my mental filesystem under "WaitAWeekThenAskAgain":-

My email sent 15 March 2012 02:23

"Spam" email received 15 March 2012 12:48

HTH

ians12

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:44 am

Seem to have had another email:-

date:
 23 March 2012 16:37

subject:
 Raspberry Pi update

mailed-by:
 envfrm.rsys2.com

Welcome to the latest Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Much has been happening behind the scenes since you received our last update, not least the start of compliance testing on the Raspberry Pi.

Why are we doing this? Compliance testing is an essential part of bringing any electronic product to market. The Raspberry Pi is being tested to make sure it conforms to all the regulations that apply to electronic devices around the world. This means that we can be sure the Raspberry Pi we deliver to you meets the correct standards and is as safe as you would expect any electronic device you purchase to be.

We’re working with the Raspberry Pi Foundation to manage the testing process as quickly as possible, while ensuring all tests are carried out to guarantee safety. More information is being posted on the Raspberry Pi website , as well as on our own FAQ pages rswww.com or DesignSpark. We’re also regularly tweeting updates on progress. Follow @RSElectronics on twitter to catch the latest news.

Alongside this, we’ve also been contacting the first group of people who registered for a Raspberry Pi from RS, to help us plan delivery of the initial batch of boards. In next week’s update, we’ll provide more information on how we’re managing the queue and the order process.

So we wait....

Ray_GTI-R

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:24 am

OK, got that one too in the automated spam folder, plus one dated 29th ...

Raspberry Pi latest Update

Welcome to the latest Raspberry Pi update from RS!

We’ve had a lot of questions about when you will be able to place orders for a Raspberry Pi from RS.  When the Raspberry Pi was launched we decided not to take orders and payment up front until we knew when stock would be available and be in a position to give you accurate delivery information. With the first batch of boards due to arrive into RS warehouses soon, we’ve started to contact the people who are at the front of our queue, so they know they are first in line to get a Raspberry Pi board.  They will shortly be invited to place their order on our dedicated RS Raspberry Pi store, and will be despatched to customers on a first-come, first-served basis in line with customer registrations.

As we receive delivery dates for the following batches we will contact those next in line to let them know when they can place an order. This way, you know that when you purchase your Raspberry Pi from RS, we have the stock coming shortly to fulfill your order. When placing an order for the Raspberry Pi, payment and delivery details will be taken, and we’ll let you know when you can expect to receive your Raspberry Pi. An email will then notify you when it has been despatched, along with a tracking number for you to check the status of your delivery.

Empahisis above on "they" and "you" ... so I'd guess I'm not in the 1st batch. (You have to really try hard to stay awake reading these messages to get pertinent information, eh? A simple "wait for the next batch to arrive then we will get in touch" would do quite nicely.

Thanks again for keeping this thread active as a heads-up for us spambound by email providers & dodgy return-email addresses by the majors.

Karsten

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:48 am

)

On Saturday I get this mail:

"Dear Karsten,

Great news!

You can now order your Raspberry Pi by clicking on the link below. Thanks for staying patient with us.

The wait for Pi is (nearly) over 

The Pi began its journey as a crowdsourced community project. Given the volumes involved and the demographic mix of likely users, the development board exemption on compliance testing is not applicable. As a result, even the first uncased developer units of Raspberry Pi will require a CE (compliance tested) mark prior to distribution in the EU. 

We're supporting the Raspberry Pi Foundation in doing everything possible to bring the Pi to the world as quickly as possible, and minimise any further delay. 
(Find out more here.) 

At this time orders will continue to be kept to one per person, to ensure the products get into the right hands.

Simply click on the link below to place your order...."

and two minutes later (after I ordered) this mail arrives:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for ordering via the Farnell web site. 
Your order has been given the following Farnell reference number: ...........

Please refer to this number if you contact Farnell regarding your order.

When stock is allocated to your order, we will send you a full order confirmation including prices, availability and expected delivery date.

Thank you for ordering with Farnell. 

Kind regards
The Farnell Team "

I hope, that it will not be to long until the correct order confirmation arrives.

grumpyoldgit

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:04 am

That is basically the wording I got back in early March but immediately beneath it the details of the order are repeated, together with a shortcut to the Farnell site where you can check on the details of your order. You can expect a holding email each Friday.

Return to “Off topic discussion”