haitek

Re: Personal area network

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:01 am

yeah, well when my pi arrives, I want to create a PAN that can sit in my pocket, will boot to a variety of linux OS by changing the SD card and runs a fast and flexible GUI (like puppy sports) and charges from any available USB port. Personal web server, media server, Quake server……The mind boggles, any ideas?  

Kernel

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:39 am

haitek said:

yeah, well when my pi arrives, I want to create a PAN that can sit in my pocket, will boot to a variety of linux OS by changing the SD card and runs a fast and flexible GUI (like puppy sports) and charges from any available USB port. Personal web server, media server, Quake server……The mind boggles, any ideas?  

well you can switch distro by switching the card and can use it for many server purposes.

Not quite sure what you mean by PAN though  - as this is generally used for a simple network to communicate from pc to phone etc. via something like bluetooth

haitek

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 am

yes well I wanted to expand the personal area network concept. I luv linux and the possibilities are endless to create a personal server on my trouser belt. I paid for a pi from element14, I guess it will be a while arriving since there appears to be an in house problem with the LAN jack. I don't mind getting a second generation version if it is debugged. It will take a while for software to arrive so I don't mind waiting a few milleseconds more

Kernel

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:49 pm

haitek said:

yes well I wanted to expand the personal area network concept. I luv linux and the possibilities are endless to create a personal server on my trouser belt. I paid for a pi from element14, I guess it will be a while arriving since there appears to be an in house problem with the LAN jack. I don't mind getting a second generation version if it is debugged. It will take a while for software to arrive so I don't mind waiting a few milleseconds more

It isn't just the LAN jack issue - 10000 units have been built so far yet RS has had 200000+ expressions of interest - so they need to make more - if you do get one from the first batch then you are very lucky!

haitek

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:45 pm

I expected massive interest and that I may have to wait for a later production run but that suits me if I'm going to get a better board and there's time to generate better support. I've been playing with linux since '94 and I'm soooo looking forward to this project

Kernel

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:06 pm

haitek said:

I expected massive interest and that I may have to wait for a later production run but that suits me if I'm going to get a better board and there's time to generate better support. I've been playing with linux since '94 and I'm soooo looking forward to this project

I don't think the later boards will be better - all the defective boards will be fixed and new ones will be the same - but definitely the software support will be better by then also people will have tested more components with it

haitek

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:46 am

I just got a picture of hundreds of asians with soldering irons and RJ45 sockets

Lob0426

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:38 am

A PAN or Personal Area Network is generally a wireless network but I have seen hybrid designs that include wired and wireless. Wired to multiple wired devices plus a device that is used as a wireless hub/server. Bluetooth would be more secure as it has a range limitation of about 22ft (7m). If you use wireless G it can reach out around 75ft (25m) and Wireless N can go to about 210+ft (70+m). power wise a bluetooth is usually more frugal also.

What uses do you intend for your PAN? Social media server? Data share?
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

haitek

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 am

Oh I'm just going to try everything I can, just to see what I can get going. I'm the adventurous type. I've got a LAN which is connected to another router/WAN with the next building, both routers have wi-fi access. I saw the pi as a mobile (nearest USB port for power) system which I could configure as I go along. The sky's the limit really, it seems there's a lot of people getting very excited about the pi. I am very interested in it's development in the community

takaya

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:05 am

i thought a pan was a network between two local devices?

or is it simply a matter or geographic scope or ownership?

if all the workstations were connected to router a or router b in a wlan, then you could use the nic in a workstation to create an ethernet pan with the pi.

or if all the workstations were connected to router a or router b in an ethernet lan, then you could use a bluetooth or wireless adapter in the pi to create a wireless pan with the workstation.

the idea of a personal web server, media server, or quake server sounds great to me. ill be just as interested to hear what other uses people can imagine.

can you think of any benefits to running a server this way as opposed to running it on another lan host?

or is it more for fun and simply testing the capabilities of the pi?

haitek

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:20 am

yes it's the fun aspect that has got me entranced. I just want to see what it can do. I've always like small OS and RISC chips, I hate bloatware. Small and elegant is what I'm after

Return to “Off topic discussion”