patrikg

Re: What ARM devices do you have already?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Marvell GuruPlug
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

RichardUK

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Goes without says, phones + tablets + routers + car + other consumer parts.

But also....

Panda board (does not get used)

Rikomagic MK 802 III (not used much, no time)

Stora NAS (one of the best things connected to my network, get one about £60 and are fantastic)

mBed (gets used a bit, micro controller with arm-M3 arch. Fantastic web based C/C++ IDE)

Landrover devkit Like mBed but loads of extras but no nice IDE. Same arm-M3 Arch.

And last but not least, two RPi (version 1) Get used everyday.

I also have a couple ATmega kits but they are not Arm. :)

jackokring

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Things with a known ARM. => Pi, Alcatel OneTouch 903, and 2 old phones put into other peoples service.
Things which may contain an ARM. => The keyboard, the hub, the lcd monitor, ... but not the sink.
Other development kits. => A LaunchPad, no ARM.
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

tonyhughes

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Raspberry Pi's (x2 with #3 on its way) (Single core Broadom).
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Quad core Exynos).
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (on its way) (Dual core OMAP).
Apple iPad 2 (going to kids when Galaxy Tab arrives) (Dual core Cortex).

Nothing cool or retro beyond the RPi.

drgeoff

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:26 pm

jackokring wrote:Things which may contain an ARM. => The keyboard, the hub, the lcd monitor, ...
Unless a very exotic keyboard, it is very unlikely to contain an ARM.

Not sure what 'hub' means. USB hub - very unlikely to contain an ARM. Ethernet hub (=switch) - very unlikely. Router - possibly. ARM or MIPS running Linux are quite common in home routers.

LCD monitor - ? An ARM wouldn't be suitable for any of the video signal processing stuff but maybe for the user interface and on-screen menus etc.

timrowledge

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Oldest one - an original not-for-sale A500 prototype of the Archimedes range. Acorn gave it to me in '87 when it had an ARM 1 8MHz and then upgraded it a year or so later to a 12MHz ARM3.

A pi of course, assorted I- things, and various devices that often include an ARM. I've made a living almost entirely from doing Smalltalk stuff on ARMs since before it was even publically announced.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

SiriusHardware

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:01 am

Prometheus wrote:
Whilst it hasn"t occurred here, I really do feel that it"s kind of sad that whenever someone says that they don"t want or need a mobile telephone, some people look at them like they"re somehow defective! It"s happened to me lots of times, and I once encountered someone who reacted with nothing short of complete shock, and it wasn"t joking shock, either – I actually found it rude.

I just don"t have a need for a telephone and a telephone can't do what I need, so why should I have or want one? That"s just a complete waste of money and time on a useless object that has no hope of ever doing what I actually require.
Sir Clive Sinclair (still alive and well) famously does not carry a mobile phone. I saw a relatively recent interview in which he confirmed this to be true. He also carries a slide rule everywhere with him - quintessentially eccentric behaviour for someone who was instrumental in bringing the pocket calculator to market.

I didn't have a mobile phone for many years until someone - fed up with not being able to get hold of me - bought me a Nokia 3330 in 2001. I have to admit it has come in useful a few times over the years but I only ever make about 3-4 calls a month and send a similar number of texts. And yes, I'm still using that same Nokia 3330.

malakai

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:39 am

SiriusHardware wrote:
Prometheus wrote:
Whilst it hasn"t occurred here, I really do feel that it"s kind of sad that whenever someone says that they don"t want or need a mobile telephone, some people look at them like they"re somehow defective! It"s happened to me lots of times, and I once encountered someone who reacted with nothing short of complete shock, and it wasn"t joking shock, either – I actually found it rude.

I just don"t have a need for a telephone and a telephone can't do what I need, so why should I have or want one? That"s just a complete waste of money and time on a useless object that has no hope of ever doing what I actually require.
Sir Clive Sinclair (still alive and well) famously does not carry a mobile phone. I saw a relatively recent interview in which he confirmed this to be true. He also carries a slide rule everywhere with him - quintessentially eccentric behaviour for someone who was instrumental in bringing the pocket calculator to market.

I didn't have a mobile phone for many years until someone - fed up with not being able to get hold of me - bought me a Nokia 3330 in 2001. I have to admit it has come in useful a few times over the years but I only ever make about 3-4 calls a month and send a similar number of texts. And yes, I'm still using that same Nokia 3330.

I think the three of us would get along nicely :) I always tell those how my cheap flip phone is off 99,99% of the time is because I'm just not so insecure that I fell having a phone in some way completes me. That usually shuts them up. The only reason I have a phone I guess is I'm on call for emergencies so when I'm not at work they can call me in. But I seem to work more than I don't so it's never on.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

Return to “Off topic discussion”