abishur

Re: USB/NAS Enclosure

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:15 pm

So one of the things I'm thinking of using the R-pi for is as a file server (most likely accessible via the internet by using something likeajaxplorer.

I presently have a USB enclosure, but it runs pretty hot after an hour or two with my 500 GB sata drive (so I'm using to backup and run my Wii games off of). This means I need a new enclosure for my R-Pi.

Here are the outlines for what I'm looking for:

1) Good cost to benefit ratio (inexpensive)
2) RAID 5
3) Fan (preferably quiet)
4) USB Preferred

I've done a little looking into of this front, but most raid 5 enclosures I've found cost thousands of dollars :( I wouldn't mind having to purchase multiple enclosures that attach to one another to create a RAID 5 array rather than one large enclosure either.

Has anyone had found an enclosure like this that you particularly enjoy?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Michael

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Not quite what you are looking for, but KuroBox Pro and TerraStation are worth checking out. Buffalo was going to do a Kuro version of the TerraStation, but looks like that didn't come to anything.
http://www.revogear.com/
http://buffalo.nas-central.org.....robox_Wiki
http://buffalo.nas-central.org.....tationwiki

abishur

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:04 pm

hmmm.. wost case scenario I could just get a regular multi drive USB enclosure and use the r-pi to software raid them, but I'd prefer for the enclosure to do that so i don't have to worry about the r-pi dying and loosing all my data

Cafe

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Not sure what your application setting is, but you might need SATA-type performance which the Raspi cannot, if the data it serves has to go through it. (Again, I don't know your requirements.)

obarthelemy

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Worst case scenario, a regular computer case+PSU ($60), an Atom MB ($50) and a 2GB stick of RAM ($20), and soft RAID, which is safer anyway, though slower which may be a problem for you.

That's the config I'm using right now, after looking for dedicated NAS servers, and finding they're both more expensive and a lot less versatile.

Also, think hard about the raid stuff: do you really need the extra throughput, capacity, and availability ? I finally replaced all my disks with a single 3TB one. It's quieter, not slower for what I use it for. I don't care about perfect availability, and RAID is not a backup any, so I do have to do backups with both solutions; whether RAID or single disk.

Lob0426

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:00 pm

The western digital my book world edition had raid (and a web interface) as did another which had two drives but could be used in raid 1 or raid 0. My book dual or something like that.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

abishur

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:50 am

Sata would be nice, but the R-pi doesn't come with it :P my goal is to have an extremely low power usage configuration. I could attached a couple external USB drives and software raid it in linux, but I consider software raids to be more dangerous. If the system crashes, it's extremely hard to reconfigure the drives. But with the a raid enclosure the raid goes wherever the enclosures go so I could move it from r-pi to r-pi and if the enclosure dies, as long as I get the same enclosure and put the drives in the same spot, it will work again.

The performance of the drive is ultimately limited by the 100 Mb of the ethernet connection anyway, ergo sata would ultimately be wasted except for the PC it was located on. USB drives will perform just as efficiently over a 10/100 based ethernet system let alone the wireless that I've been forced to use for far too many of my devices (now if I had gigabit that would be a different story, but I don't so it isn't :P )

Cafe

Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:23 am

Quote from abishur on August 14, 2011, 03:50
Sata would be nice, but the R-pi doesn't come with it :P

My point exactly :) Depending on your application needs the Raspi may or may not be suitable to serve storage.

abishur

Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:28 pm

The rest of my post detailed what my application of the r-pi is and explained that since I was going to be using it over a network whose max speed is 100 Mb, a sata connection wouldn't actually benefit me. Regardless, I was hoping less for theory and conjecture and more of "I use(d) x enclosure it is good/bad"

Cafe

Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Quote from abishur on August 14, 2011, 14:28
The rest of my post detailed what my application of the r-pi is and explained that since I was going to be using it over a network whose max speed is 100 Mb, a sata connection wouldn't actually benefit me. Regardless, I was hoping less for theory and conjecture and more of "I use(d) x enclosure it is good/bad"

Hmm...my bad. I interpreted your posts, except the most recent one, to mean that you are constrained by Raspi's 100 Mbps interface.

If you like to use SATA drives, it might be better to use a plug computer such as Guruplug which has both eSATA and Gbps Ethernet interfaces. It is more expensive ($99) than the Raspi, but it will give you good performance (< 5W power at full load) for the purpose. I assume you have a Gigabit network.

There are also some storage solutions built around plug computers. PogoPlug I think, maybe Seagate also, has one. I don't recall more details, sorry.

(I know this is a Raspi forum, but frankly Raspi is not the best fit for NAS. Of course, nothing prevents anyone from using Raspi's USB 2 and 100 Mbps Ethernet.)

abishur

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:44 pm

I've checked out those before, but I don't want to drop a hundred for one of them just to have to spend another hundred or two on an enclosure. I think you need to check out my original post as I very clearly state the application I'm going to be using this for and the criteria I am looking for.

If you know of a good Sata enclosure that's fine as it will most likely have a USB connection I can use anyway. But I'm really looking for people who have use(d) a good RAID 5 (for my purposes RAID 0/1 won't cut it) enclosure and can say I do or don't recommend it. ;)

sh4d0w0lf

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:26 pm

http://www.dabs.com/products/s.....-6LBL.html

I take it that this is the kinda thing you are onabout? however it is rather pricey.

abishur

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Indeed it is, have you ever used it? I've found plenty of such drives on-line but I'm looking for first hand experience with the device. (I'm also not opposed to each drive being in its own enclosure daisy-chained to each other to simulate a single large enclosure)

Lob0426

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Frankly abishur I have never tried any of these enclosures, as it is cheaper, to find an old computer and set it up, than it is to buy one of these enclosures. It would be nice to find a decent raided enclosure or backplane that would fill your need. It was not much more to build my home server than to buy one of those enclosures. The software was the most expensive component and I could have done it with Linux.

sh4d0w0lf

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:02 pm

I have never tried one of these enclosures however I would suggest looking for reviews on the internet.. I can't see it being a problem for what you want to do..

abishur

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:06 pm

It's definitely the same price wise for initial set up, but I'm thinking long term here. A PC, even an older one, is going to draw a lot more power than a simple enclosure would. The idea I'm shooting for here is to save money in the long term in power consumption using an r-pi and enclosure over a traditional PC set up. As I've mentioned earlier, if worse comes to worse I will use Linux to RAID it for me, but I'd really rather the enclosure handle that.

Lob0426

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:39 pm

I agree with you. My WHS is relatively low powered at 26 watts idle. It would be nice to find one. The best I have seen is on 2 drive enclosures such as this.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/app.....CatId=2670
I assume you want 3 or more drives for RAID 5.
How will you use Linux as raid? Run a hub to external drives or possible 2.5" USB drives off of a powered hub?

vladhed

Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Dealextreme has a few boxes that you can re-flash with SnakeOS:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/s.....rver-26320

They are cheap (30-40$), but they leave the disk spinning 24/7 and they don't support RAID. It would be used mainly for backup of the 4 laptops we have in the house - so ideally I wanted something that would only spin-up the HDD when it gets mounted - and being backup would like to be able to RAID two 1TB USB drives.

So I like that with R-Pi, I'd be able to basically configure it with whatever feature set I want. As for SATA, USB2.0 is fine, since the bottleneck is the 802.11g Wifi from the laptop to the router the R-Pi would be hardwired to.

Lob0426

Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:38 pm

vladhed: Use a Raspi Model B instead it has the same connectors and has more programming options. lol

Sorry just had to say it!

Return to “Off topic discussion”