DeeLondon

Re: What software does this Forum run on?

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:01 pm

I'm quite impressed with this forum, it's quite easy to use and simple to navigate and I like the thing that gets you to add two numbers together - is this all running on BuddyPress or something else?

grumpyoldgit

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:03 pm

See bottom of page.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:00 am

It's Simple:Press, which is basically a way to make WordPress behave like a forum - you're one of so few people here who actually like it that we're changing to phpBB next week!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Bluemerlin

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:35 am

liz said:

It's Simple:Press, which is basically a way to make WordPress behave like a forum - you're one of so few people here who actually like it that we're changing to phpBB next week!

Yay phpBB, but security nightmare if you aren't hot on updates.

I like this forum, I don't like the formatting. Half my width is forum, the other half is either grey or blue bars.

SN

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:47 am

liz said:

we"re changing to phpBB next week!

Thank the lord!  phpBB is the defacto web forum standard - and I know this will view wrong but its symptomatic of whats wrong with this forum s/w

Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

zag

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 am

Simple:Press is awful lol.
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

piglet

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:32 am

phpBB? *Shudders*   Good luck!

It's every script-kiddy's dream. I helped run a forum from about 2004 running phpBB, and it that was regularly taken over/crashed within half an hour of each new exploit being outed. The constant recovery from tape, re-patching, tracking down what the script-kiddies has loaded to the server and loss of a day's postings each time was a nightmare.

We've had far, far better experience with VBulletin.  The plugin system allows real flexibility for custom code and functionality, and the look and feel is pretty much perfect. It costs a small amount of cash, but I bet you'd get plenty of donations to cover that if you asked for donations.

Hopefully the current version is rather safer.

Thankfully the migration path from phpBB to VBulletin is a very smooth one so if phpBB turns out not to have been a great choice then it's not a big deal to switch.

I hasten to add that I'm totally unaffiliated with VBulletin!

TheCrazyInventor

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:36 am

Oh come on, phpBB is fine. It's not getting hacked that often, that's just nonsense. Just get the latest version and it'll work fine. And besides, we don't really need VBulletin over here, I think.
"Anything that can possibly go wrong, does" -M

liz

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:47 pm

I *hate* VBulletin. We'll be sure to stay on top of updates.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

piglet

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:00 pm

TheCrazyInventor said:

Oh come on, phpBB is fine. It's not getting hacked that often, that's just nonsense.

I guess either we were unlucky or you have been lucky. It's not nonsense though. Just our experience as users of the software and exploits at the time.

As I said before, hopefully the current version is safer than it was when we were using it. 8 years is a lot of time to make things better in.

Joe Schmoe

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Heh - someone (me, in fact) is sure to point out that talking about 8 year old experience with software is pretty meaningless.  It's like saying that cars were unsafe in 1900.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

spurious

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:10 pm

phpBB.. used it a lot before v3

not used it since then.. It was good enough.

I thought about writing my own, but at the end of the day it did the job.

piglet

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:33 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

Heh - someone (me, in fact) is sure to point out that talking about 8 year old experience with software is pretty meaningless.  It's like saying that cars were unsafe in 1900.

Yup. Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Until typing it I'd not released how long ago it was. My ram-pack needs some more blue-tack.

erikfrerejean

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:25 am

Bluemerlin said:

liz said:

I'm not sure which phpBB version you are speaking of, the current stable line (3.0.x) has gone through a full security audit during it's RC stages and hasn't seen any serious issues since it's release. As a matter of fact, I can't recall seeing one hacked using an phpBB exploit (sure there have been compromised boards, but the POI usually is the server itself or an other (third party) pice of software).

Overall if you do some research you'll find that the phpBB 3.0.x line has a var better security report than comparable BB solutions, so "security nightmare" might be a bit of an exaggeration

roelfrenkema

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:14 am

erikfrerejean said:

Bluemerlin said:

liz said:

I'm not sure which phpBB version you are speaking of, the current stable line (3.0.x) has gone through a full security audit during it's RC stages and hasn't seen any serious issues since it's release. As a matter of fact, I can't recall seeing one hacked using an phpBB exploit (sure there have been compromised boards, but the POI usually is the server itself or an other (third party) pice of software).

Overall if you do some research you'll find that the phpBB 3.0.x line has a var better security report than comparable BB solutions, so "security nightmare" might be a bit of an exaggeration

Every popular CMS is prone to exploits. http://goo.gl/nMbYA Thats why one should either write his own code or use a solution and update the moment an update arrives. I call this computer hygiene. But even then you are never 100% secured against the creativity of a resourceful attacker.

I would choose to use a Google Groups Forum to be relieved from lot's of responsibilities and yet have a extremely powerful administrable forum with nearly unlimmited resources. But PHPBB is as good as any with the downside off added responsibility for users personal data.

psergiu

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:16 am

One more security step - run your Apache (or whatever) webserver chrooted on a nodev, nosuid filesystem.

I usually have:

/var/www noatime,nodev,nosuid

/var/www/tmp noatime,nodev,nosuid,noexec

and the tmp is the only place where the "apache" user is allowed to write and there are some chon jobs removing old files from the tmp filesystem and moving uploads in other dirs+changing owners+permissions.

It's a bi*ch to configure especially if you need to use sendmail, ImageMagick or other binaries called by PHP - they need to be hand-compiled as static binaries and you need a "dummy" /bin/sh which only does execve() on whatever he gets on the command line after "-c" with the rest of the parameters.

Thus if a no-gooder is able to upload a binary/script using phpBB or even trick php into running commands on the server, it won't be of any use.

Have daily backups of the DB and you're all set.

Kernel

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:19 am

Does PHPBB have a reputation or thanks feature? if so will it be enabled?

There are a lot of good posts/posters who it would be nice to reward for their contributions

I use thanks/reputation on other forums and often find myself looking for the option here before remembering it isn't here!

erikfrerejean

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:59 am

Kernel said:

phpBB doesn't have such a feature build in. There is however at least one MOD for that in development that I know off, though I don't know it's status so I can't really advice on that.

Kernel

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:46 pm

erikfrerejean said:

Kernel said:

phpBB doesn't have such a feature build in. There is however at least one MOD for that in development that I know off, though I don't know it's status so I can't really advice on that.

ok thanks for the info

Return to “Off topic discussion”