gimliflea

Re: Are you (forum veteran) disappointed with the r-pi launch?

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:23 am

The London Olympics show that if demand is high lotteries are just as bad.

Joe Schmoe

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:08 am

gimliflea said:  

The London Olympics show that if demand is high lotteries are just as bad.

Care to expand on that?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

gimliflea

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:24 am

Locog spent man years building a system to implement a lottery to 'fairly' give people access to tickets. They had the advantage of previous experience (after all it happens every four years). As I recall the whole launch was a complete debacle. No doubt a bit of googling would show that.

My point is that when demand is so much higher than expected all careful planning can be scuppered. Even though interest had clearly been building for a couple of months. I really don't think anyone could have anticipated the size of the launch day storm. Let alone in time to get someone (Who?) to put in the development and testing to implement a lottery system.

I know some of you were saying that the demand would be too high in advance and you were right. But given the uncertainty and lack of resources I think RPF did as good a job as they could. (i.e. they bounced the tsunami of s*** at RS and FARNELL who at least have resources to clean it up)

For those who go on about HYPE. The RPF kept us well informed by any standards. The hype did not come from them, and I fail to see how they could have kept us informed without letting the rest of the world know. I commend them on their openness, and hope to secure an RPi sometime this year.

Edit: The emails do seem to have been a problem. Mine has still not been seen any where near my account. Even though I do get emails informing me about posts on subscribed topics.

russ wall

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:00 pm

Jim Brown said:

Christ. Stop the whinging folks. Its just a computer, not a replacement vital organ!

The use of the term disappointment is being abused on this forum. Try being a Wolves fan! My only concern is that the following month or two's wait not only holds back development of software for the Pi's Educational aims, but I have to suffer weeks of loosing 5-0. That, people, is real disappointment.To all at the RPF, congratulations. Yes, in hindsight things may have been done differently, but I really don't think anyone could honestly anticipate the ridiculous numbers of people hitting the F5 button at 6 in the morning. A stunning launch that will become the stuff of legends.

Andius

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Disappointed with the r-pi launch a little. With the demand a lot bigger than supply it was never going to be a smooth launch.

Let compare it with the new Ipad, want to bet everyone who wants one at launch is going to get one on day one. Now if Apple (with its billions) can not do that why do people expect the Raspberry Pi Foundation to be able to so?

Still looking forward to getting one (or more) just going to have to wait a bit longer to do so. A plus side of this will be the software is going to be (hopefully) better

Now that the launch is out of the way its time to move on the the next phase the Pi's Educational aims, the whole point of this device (not some cheap media centre).Which I think is not going to be easy but if they keep up the good work they have been doing they should be able to pull it off. The future's is bright, the future's is Raspberry :O

TheEponymousBob

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:17 am

Andius said:

Let compare it with the new Ipad, want to bet everyone who wants one at launch is going to get one on day one. Now if Apple (with its billions) can not do that why do people expect the Raspberry Pi Foundation to be able to so?

For what it"s worth, and at risk of stigmatising myself in some people"s view, I had been looking forward to the iPad 3 for some time, and while following the live blogging I soon made my mind up to upgrade (from 1st gen, that is).

The UK store was down until near midnight (launch event wrapped up about 19:30). When it did come up, it took about 20+ attempts to take an order from basket to successfully processed without hitting "Oops, something has gone wrong!" at various stages through the order, terminating the session and requiring re-entry of various purchasing details. It was past 01:00 before I succeeded.

If even Apple can"t gracefully handle post-midnight demands for a given region, I can"t imagine any site handling the level of interest the Raspi has earned worldwide.

I understand why some feel that they were lied to or misled, but reckon it"s utterly clear that the Foundation"s hands were tied by legal (and, in the question of e-mail notifications, technical) obligations, and that they hated this fact far more than any of us on the outside did. And as someone more interested in learning lessons than allocating blame, I see the whole switch to licensed manufacture as absolutely the best solution to the issues involved with the batched model, and one that will get the thing in people"s hands far quicker than if they"d stuck with the original plan of manufacture. Surely that"s more valuable than holding onto plan A at any cost, just to avoid invalidating previous status updates?

grumpyoldgit

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:55 am

To continue the analogy, I think the point here is that Apple is one of the largest, wealthiest companies on the planet with tens of thousands of staff, extensive experience of manufacture and if sh1t happens, could call on limitless resources to get them out of it.

RPF, by comparison, is a small fledgeling organisation with no employees and where the only previous sales had been generated by stuffing envelopes with stickers round the kitchen table in the evening. I"m not even sure they have an office.

If the Pi had started small with a few thousand sales to get them on their feet, and gain some experience I don"t think we would have had these problems. Instead the Pi has gone global overnight and there are hordes clammering at the gate demanding their  PI, now.

It is indicative that even the servers of two large multinational companies buckled under the strain.

Return to “Off topic discussion”