Ampix0

Re: Suggestion for something with a little more power?

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:49 am

Hey guys. I love the rpi and plan to get a few. But I am wondering if anyone is aware of something around the $100 range (or less) that has just a bit more power. 1gb of ram at least.

I want to run a small standalone Minecraft server for my friends and I. I would like something inexpensive obviously and low on heat and power.

amiga65

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:55 am

mini-itx board.

Ampix0

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:10 am

Was more looking for a built machine. I could newegg a microATX board and ram around blackfriday for a decent price if I wanted. I wont get a decent price building nwo though.

UK taxes online stuff now too so all that was a bit more expensive.

Jessie

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:20 am

Pogoplug, some of them have 256mb not quite what you want but you can install ArchLinux on them easy.  Do some research some of the Pogoplug series have a 1.2G processor some have a 700Mhz dual core and others have 800Mhz single core with only 128 MB ram.  I just don't think you will find anything with 1Gb for $100.  If you watch you can find them cheap... last week they (the low end model with the 1.2Ghz processor) were 2 for $50.

Ampix0

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:48 am

I was actually looking that those before i learned about Raspberry pi. but I dont think it will be enough for an MC server.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:29 am

It's twice your limit and it isn't shipping yet, but the Cotton Candy looks like a nice beast.

ebilan

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Check out the SolidRun CuBox.

A little over the price you wanted but sounds like what you're looking for.

Ampix0

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:03 pm

The Solid run Cubox doesn't look bad.

I should also mention this needs to be standalone. plugged into a wall for power.

I dont actually need any display ports at all. All i need is a USB for a HDD, and w/e method is used for the OS.

caminati

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 pm

http://www.aliexpress.com/prod.....alers.html

$130 with shipping, and additional custom duties might apply to you.

To run linux on it, see

rhombus-tech.net

and

limadriver.org

There are cheaper oem alternatives for the above; ainol seems to be producing fairly good items with a chinese price.

There are even cheaper 1Gb tablets, which however offer less certainties about linux compatibility, not mounting the allwinner a10.

Hours after the piss for having missed the raspberry, I bought one tablet similar to the one above, and I am more and more happy of my destiny upon reading of Farnell, of unforeseen chinese manufacturing outsourcing of the raspi, etc...

I have my shipping tracking number already

IMO Raspberry was just a first step, soon to be surpassed under every aspect by other products: I mean, the allwinner A10 itself, just days ago regarded as the wondrous cheapo, already has competitors.

Things are happening astoundingly fast these days.

ebilan

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Just a though and I know it only has half the ram you're looking for but check out the GuruPlug Server.  It's pretty much bang on the budget you quoted.

rocket-dog

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Since launch day I have been wondering if there is now a market amongst the Linux communities for an ARM based mini-itx  bare bones based system for about £100. Especially considering moves like UEFI  motherboard locking by Microsoft. This  would come with a ready fitted (more powerful so more expensive) ARM processor (I believe they can't be fitted D-I-Y anyway) but without RAM or storage. I know there are problems such as ARM not being compatible with PCI.  But if the RPi can sell out and with pre-orders for the Spark tablet looking healthy too surely there is a space for an Intel free mini-desktop?

Ampix0

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:51 pm

I found this guy but I was actually hoping to be a little cheaper. The price on this is good. but then there is $50 shipping. http://www.aliexpress.com/prod.....alers.html

caminati

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Ampix0 said:

I found this guy but I was actually hoping to be a little cheaper. The price on this is good. but then there is $50 shipping. http://www.aliexpress.com/prod.....alers.html

I understand there are $30 to be added for 2Gb ram ($211 total).

You could get some passive-cooled mini-itx mb for less, like the Intel D425KT, which is found in shops here in italy for 54 euro (no shipping needed, then).

And add to it some cheap (30 euro with delivering) case:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/C0AA-S1.....4ab40474e6

Finally, buy a So-Dimm ddr3 1Gb from ebay for less than 10 euro: just make sure how picky the Mb is with ram modules, I had some troubles with some old mini-itx board. Probably now it is easier to pair mb and ram.

Should be under 100 euro, around $130.

Jessie

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:52 am

I guess low on heat and power went out the window.

Ampix0

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:23 am

Well, The power will be less than a full tower, I don't knwo what the power supply actually was on this. Believe me, I'd love a powerful Rpi like device for this task. I couldn't find anything with the minimum 2Gb of ram I needed for the server.

(Also I am still buying somewhere around three raspberry pi's for various projects)

Maybe I can make some customization to the case to keep it cooler, and keep the fans running less.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:44 am

A little more power?

I've got a micro-usb psu from an Android tablet, that provides 2A @ 5v.

Enough power methinks! 

Ummmmmmmmmm.....  You weren't talking about power supplies????
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Ampix0

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Haha. Not this time. I'm searching for energy saving tips for this computer I just bought. Trying to find ways to keep it cool and "eco friendly"

Return to “Off topic discussion”