hansp

Re: Disgusted - Price Hike by Farnell

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:28 am

Having received an invitation to preorder from Farnell I decided to take the plunge.

They state in their opening screen that the total cost, including delivery, is 44.82 euros after choosing my country : France.

Proceeding down the long ordering sequence I am invited to create an account. I receive a system error screen with a 30 character reference number (really 30 characters!)

I try again, my identifier is already taken. Aha the registration worked, go and log in.

Now I am invited to specify payment options. Credit Cards are only availabe for in stock orders, otherwise I need a company account. Not deterred I choose credit card payment.

Now they ask for my shipping/billing address and mode of shipment. All properly filled in though I am concerned about the 12 euro delivery charge. Press continue and again a system error  (Reference #3.e595e753.1330927772.106b33be  assuming each character excepting the dots can be alphanumeric that allows for 10^42 references or 1.5*10^32 per human on the planet!!)

Try again, this time I can get in my credit card details, but once more a system error.

Repeating each step finally gets my to the last page to confirm the order. Giving a total of 53.90 euros or 20% more than the originally advertised price. And an estimated delay of 58 days.

All in all a waste of time. Farnell did not get my business.

Unless RS pulls its act together I will be reluctantly leaving the Raspberry Pi community, there are just too many other neat toys available which can be purchased with far less hastle.

exartemarte

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 am

I have huge sympathy for the foundation, who seem to have been caught between a rock and a hard place.

I understand they had expected to manufacture, and presumably distribute, the device themselves but were limited by their finances to ordering batches of 10,000. They seem to have realised late in the day that that would come nowhere near meeting the demand, hence the search for partners.

In a UKcontext, Farnell and RS would be obvious firms to approach as well known, established businesses, with the necessary purchasing power and international distribution systems already in place.

There was a time when individual customers had no access to distributors such as RS or Farnell, but the Internet has changed that. I have no recent experience of RS, but Farnell in the UK now has a business model that works quite well for individual consumers: no minimum order; fast and reliable; reasonable prices, given that there is no additional delivery charge, with volume discounts. (And no, I don't work for them.)

What is becoming clear from the above posts, however, is that elsewhere in the world many of the old practices persist – business customers only, high minimum order, etc.

I suspect that alternative sources of supply will emerge, probably sooner rather than later. As I understand it the RPi is an open platform, and I seem to remember someone from the Foundation saying "We want as many people to manufacture these as possible". So there will be nothing to stop entrepreneurs in Hong Kong getting them manufactured, probably in the same Chinese factories, and selling direct over eBay, as Skygod has suggested above. Like him I have dealt with such firms, and I have found them cheap and reliable.

tqhien

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:34 am

Hello,

I'm from France. I received the Farnell's email inviting me to preorder the R-Pi for 44.82€ VAT and P&P included. So, dispited the higher cost than the 35$ announced, I tried to order one.

Farnell France adds a fixed 12€ VAT excluded P&P for non business customers ! So I would have to pay twice for Post and Postage !

For a single R-Pi, it would cost 56€ !! (46.68 GBP/73$)

I won't pay that price.

morpheus

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:49 am

€ 47.17

Russia..

psergiu

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:48 pm

Details of my ro.farnell.com order (assuming friday’s official Romanian National Bank exchange rate of 3.2843 RON/USD):

RASPBERRY-PI RASPBRRY-PCBA : 116.54 RON = 35.5 USD
Shipping (UPS) : 20.00 RON = 6 USD
TVA (Romanian 24% VAT) : 32.77 RON
Total : 169.31 RON = 51.11 USD

Right on the money, as real bank exchange rates are 1-2% higher.

A friend filled another preorder today - same prices.

shivansps

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:21 pm

I dont know... those prices seems a bit too high for what Rasp B really is, no SD, power supply, case, etc. I know it is to support the fundation, but there are limits.

I mean, there are chinese tablets with AllWinner A10 cpu for $100 usd, that is about € 75.00, and we are talking about a full tablet, with power supply, lcd, internal flash, 512mb ddr3, etc. Not to mention that A10 is easily x3 faster than BCM used on Raspi. The only thing it needs its a linux and there are WIP.

45usd is the max price i whould pay for a Rasp B.

psergiu

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:30 pm

shivansps - we are happy to hear this. Go buy yourself whatever crap tablet you want and leave us in peace to enjoy a nice piece of kit designed with care & pride by Her Majesty's subjects.

If you have anything to add to the current subject - which is related to the Premier Farnell prices for the Raspberry Pi - please do chip in. Otherwise you might get reffered to a famous UK legal case.

rm

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:48 pm

No need to be insulting, we already feel insulted enough due to waiting 6 months and in the end not getting what was promised all this time, i.e. the $35 R Pi with a reasonable delivery fee via Royal Mail (i.e. $3, not $30).

spurious

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:50 pm

Estimated Delivery PDF stated W/C 30/04/2012

more than the original 30 days, but at lease I'm going to get one.. just not first batch.

shivansps

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:17 pm

psergiu said:

shivansps - we are happy to hear this. Go buy yourself whatever crap tablet you want and leave us in peace to enjoy a nice piece of kit designed with care & pride by Her Majesty's subjects.

If you have anything to add to the current subject - which is related to the Premier Farnell prices for the Raspberry Pi - please do chip in. Otherwise you might get reffered to a famous UK legal case.

I DID, you are the one who is insulting me and directly off the subject.

I try to order one, but is still not avalible in my country, im awaiting for email, now im checking here the price that US residents are getting and they are ridiculus, and what i did was a price comparison to another product that IS better, no matter what you say.

makomk

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:04 am

Skygod said:

Farnell charges on each website, the cost of the unit of $35 and then applies the import tax that the government of that country charge for importing goods with the tarrif number that Farnell is using (Schedule B HS codes blah blah. I've looked into it).

As Farnell will be moving several units into your country, they will be subject to the full tax charge (imposed by your government).

The only way you can circumvent this is by buying from a country with low Import Tax duties and shipping charges that will also ship to your country so that your order is a single unit. It will then arrive in your country and the combined cost and delivery charge will be under the threshold for collecting duty, so you'll get a cheaper Raspberry Pi.

This is not the 'fault' of RPF or Farnell; It's your governments that have created this situation.

You're all whingeing about 10% – 20% uplifts and I'd jump at the chance to get that. I will have to pay 140% and then get hit with VAT on the 140% price. A $35 device ends up at over $79 here.

For the French and the Dutch, I suggest that you look at ordering from either Germany or Italy (I don't know if either will deliver to you country because I got fed up opening accounts) and then paying the import tax on delivery which will be nil. (You'll still have to pay your country VAT)

OK, this can't be right. The EU is fundamentally a single market and customs union - that's one of its main purposes - which means there are no import tariffs or customs charges when moving goods from one EU state such as the UK to another like France or the Netherlands. The tariff when importing goods into the EU is also standardized at I believe a big fat 0 for this class of goods, or at least that's what the RasPi Foundation have been claiming.

exartemarte

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:14 am

I think you're right. The only thing that should vary significantly from country to country within the EU is the locally imposed rate of VAT (20% here in the UK).

But if you're ordering from another EU country the postage/freight charges will be higher, as I know through regularly ordering eBay items from Germany.

rasbeer

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:55 pm

makomk said:

OK, this can't be right. The EU is fundamentally a single market and customs union - that's one of its main purposes - which means there are no import tariffs or customs charges when moving goods from one EU state such as the UK to another like France or the Netherlands. The tariff when importing goods into the EU is also standardized at I believe a big fat 0 for this class of goods, or at least that's what the RasPi Foundation have been claiming.

It sounds like the distributors have different shipping policies/charges, with different minimum charges etc.

Skygod

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:59 pm

exartemarte said:

I think you're right. The only thing that should vary significantly from country to country within the EU is the locally imposed rate of VAT (20% here in the UK).

But if you're ordering from another EU country the postage/freight charges will be higher, as I know through regularly ordering eBay items from Germany.

The country of manufacture is China! It makes a BIG difference! It's not simply import duty but 'other' importation taxes that 'kick in'.

As I keep stating, the issue of the final delivery price in your country is a combination of the taxes that your government imposes and the delivery charge imposed by RS or Farnell.

THESE ISSUES ARE OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF THE RASPERRY PI FOUNDATION!

Complain to your MP or the way that the distributor works in your country. The Foundation is not to blame!!!!!

exartemarte

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Please don't shout.

Lynbarn

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:07 am

The RPF have designed and built a small single board computer on a voluntary basis, and with a very small budget. This is (or very soon will be) available for $35. That price has never, and does not include local duties and tax where due (which have to be added - a statutory requirement of your particular state/nation) or P&P (which may also be added). Farnell and RS have no doubt had some difficulties following the high demand since launch day, partly due to the Foundation realising the need to seek distribution partners rather late in the process. \Not ideal, but remember, this is new territory for all those organisations, as well as us as individuals. The distribution networks are being sorted out worldwide, but such things do take a little time.

If you are prepared to pay what you were asked, and wait until your goods are delivered, then your patience will be rewarded.

If you believe the total cost you are being asked for is incorrect, then you should get in touch with the distributor, and discuss your difficulties directly with somebody there who can help you. Your courtesy will be rewarded

If you are not happy to pay what you are asked to pay for a Raspberry Pi, or think you can get a better-value device, or one closer to your particular requirements, elsewhere, then feel free to walk away. There are plenty of others willing to take your place.

Your interest in this project to-date is much appreciated.

Winging and Whining on this forum will not resolve your issues. Constructive dialogue with those into which you have or want to enter a contract, will stand a much better chance.

It is possibly time to bring this thread gently to a close. This thread is now locked ... Click!

Return to “Off topic discussion”