KevinHannan

Re: Disgusted - Price Hike by Farnell

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:40 pm

RPi promised the Raspberry Pi would be £22 and now Farnell want to charge £29.46, presumably because of the demand.

I am disabled and very low-income. This price hike places the Raspberry Pi well out of my hands.

I had hoped to contribute to the learning of the unit by submitting articles on the learning forum and by also answering
other peoples queries.

Now I will not support your product - at all.

This is sharp business practice and ripping people off like this is not on.

n3tw0rk5

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:46 pm

Well Farnell and RS (lets see how much they end up charging), do need to make money out of this as well, Farnell in the UK offer free delivery which they will have included in base cost price.

But I have seen prices creeping up.

MattJ

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:59 pm

KevinHannan said:

RPi promised the Raspberry Pi would be £22 and now Farnell want to charge £29.46, presumably because of the demand.

The base price of the model B is $35. That's £22.11 today. It does not include shipping or VAT. Farnell's quoted (exc. VAT) cost for the unit is £24.55, inc. shipping. Add 20% for VAT (that's £4.91) and you get £29.46. I don't call that bad for what the device is... (which is a big reason everyone is after one).

You can't blame RPi for tax, or the fact that it costs money to send something to someone.

SereneJ

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi KevinHannan

With all due respect to the poster, even with an increase, are you really going "to cut off your nose to spite your face"; surely not?  This is still a powerful (little) computer that is costing tens of pounds and not hundreds!

Don't order this month, save what you were gonna spend and next month make up the difference; et voila! your very own raspberry Pi!

Let us also be looking at the fact that very few of us will be getting them before April anywho, so waiting isn't exactly a choice!

I for one am still wanting one of these beauties!

puckman

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:04 pm

As the other poster said, shipping is included so with the original price being £22 you are paying £7 for packaging, handling and shipping.

I don't see the problem?

Phil Spiegel

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:08 pm

I don't recall ANY GBP end price promise -only the 25US$and 35US$ BASEprices...

which were ALWAYS going to be subject to local taxes and P&P (in reverse order since VAT is also added to P&P)

This is not 'sharp practice' or 'ripping off'

Without the great generosity of time and personal funds put in by the members of the charity, there is no way you would be anywhere near getting a usable computer-base at even double this price! (Try a Beagle board if you prefer, or  donate to BillGates+co)

R4V3N0U5

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:18 pm

KevinHannan said:

You think that's bad? If you were from the U.S. on launch day, you were expected to pay $35 for the device, $20 for shipping, plus taxes (That totals up to be more than £41.) Granted apparently Newark (Farnell) has done away with that charge, days after launch.

I myself refused to even order one and considered dropping interest of the Pi altogether until I heard they removed that ridiculous shipping charge. There wasn't much of a point in using a warehouse in the US to sell the product if you expected every customer to pay to have the product shipped from the UK.

But I've ordered my Pi. I won't be getting it until the middle of May and I still have no clue what the shipping costs will be when that time comes. I'm keeping my hopes that it will be a standard UPS ground, hopefully >$7 seeing as the state it's coming from isn't too far away.

Lynbarn

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:21 pm

KevinHannan said:

I am disabled and very low-income. This price hike places the Raspberry Pi well out of my hands.

I had hoped to contribute to the learning of the unit by submitting articles on the learning forum and by also answering
other peoples queries.

As has already been pointed out, the 'Pi has always been priced at USD $35 - the UK price will vary slightly day by day, Your assertion that this is in some way "sharp business practice" is totally unfounded and unfair, and I trust that, on reflection, you will withdraw that remark. If you choose not to buy a 'Pi, then that is your choice entirely, and at least it leaves me one place nearer to front of the queue. i hope that you are able to find something cheaper elsewhere.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:24 pm

KevinHannan said:

other peoples queries.

As others have posted above - what is the problem here? Can you get product from other suppliers without tax or P&P? No. If you do have a problem with tax then that is a governmental matter and out of the Foundations hands. Postage  and packing - well, some places give free delivery, but if the foundation did that they would make a loss on each and every board. Someone need to pay to get items from one place to another, and that is always the buyer - whether in direct P&P charges, or increased product prices.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ta2025

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Looks like the attention the Rasp-Pi is getting is going to bring out the trolls here too.  Pay no attention to the poster.  Probably a competitor.  I'm sure we will hear more nastiness in the coming months... whispered conspiracies, bad evaluations, problems with manufacturinig, child labor, etc...

Its all part of the stupid drama game some people play.

ScooterIT

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:32 pm

I am NOT ordering from Farnell. 

ScooterIT

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:38 pm

From their "Other Country" selection:
Please note that if you are purchasing on behalf of your business the price shown is exclusive of Sales Tax (VAT) but inclusive of delivery charge. Sales Tax (VAT) will be charged at the appropriate rate. Please note, you must be able to provide a Sales Tax (VAT) Registration number as proof of business status. Your credit card will not be charged until your order is dispatched. Please note - you will be responsible for any import VAT and any duty that may be payable.

Price: £31.05

But when I start the ordering process the price is £24.55. Guess they will add a flat fee for international shipping later.

Confusing sales policy.....

Given the fact that they also did not prepare well for the launch it makes me wander about how well their customer service is organized.

ne7runner

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:43 pm

ScooterIT said:

Me neither. Just received an email from farnell saying I can now place my pre-order for RasPi. Interesting is fact that farnell price is €39.20 while RS advertises RasPi for €27.43 per unit. I'm wondering where the price difference (over €11) come from. Just wondering now what will be the RS final price including VAT and P&PIs there anyone in here who managed to order RasPi on 29th for RS or already placed pre-order via RS?

BTW, thanks for making it happen!!! Keep up the good job guys and gals!
M.

ne7runner

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Well, just after posting I realized I can't wait any longer for RS to wake up and placed my order with Farnell.

p4trykx

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:34 pm

I also just received mail from Farnell. I'm from Poland and the price for my country is higher that in Hungary which have 27% VAT and I have only 23%

obarthelemy

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Just received a mail from Farnell. For France, 45€ incl. VAT and shipping, ie $60. That's almost 2x the official price. I'm all for retailers earning a living, but x2 seems a lot.

Smartybones

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:07 pm

I cant believe people are grumbling at the price....

raspberry always stated the price point would be $35 for the model B, and the reasons was that they buy the components in USD.

now because of the ever fluctuating changes in the USD to GBP excange rate the price is always going to change.

Raspberry at no point said that the $35 price point would include local taxes and Package and postage costs. I always assumed this was going to be extra.

so, by the time they add p&p and 20% vat then the price of £30.50 is fine by me...

oh, and a heads up to others in europe.... buy from the UK site if you local VAT is higher than our 20%, EU rules say that so long as you pay the local taxes in the member state you bought your item in, you dont need to pay the local taxes. post should be very much the same no matter where in europe you ship to ....

Smartybones

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:11 pm

in fact, if it continues to be a stupid amount to buy in other EU countries, then I will look into buying them from RS myself in the UK and send them out to people in europe, at cost price to me + £1 to donate to Raspberry...

spurious

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Just ordered... the estimate 30 day delivery

Goods Subtotal:
£24.55

Basic Shipping:
£0.00

VAT:
£4.91

Total:
£29.46

we'll see... base price is elevated, but they have not added delivery, so £21.60 on RS leaves 2.95 added... say £1.20 actual delivery cost leaves about £1.75 profit for Farnell.

not as bad as I thought

MattHawkinsUK

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Just pre-ordered from Farnell. Don't see the problem with the price. It includes VAT and postage. £22 + £4.40 VAT + a few quid for postage. Just as expected.

Not heard a peep from RS so they have lost out.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

Yoda007

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:47 pm

The prise for Slovenia is 38.08 which is OK i think (26,73 EUR PI, 5 EUR postage, 6,35 EUR TAX).

The only problem is that I can only find 550mA charges on the site (http://si.farnell.com/) which are too weak.

spurious

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Yoda007 said:

The only problem is that I can only find 550mA charges on the site (http://si.farnell.com/) which are too weak.

I have a HTC mobile phone, which has a 5V 1A output. So you might want to look for one of them.

spurious

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:56 pm

...charger... so not with it today

mkopack

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:04 pm

So order from Newark (Farnell's USA distributor)... And don't have to pay that extra cost...

I ordered from Newark - $35 + shipping (which should be < $10).

No reason to order from the UK.  Especially now that the initial 10,000 are spoken for. Subsequent product will go right from the production houses (in China) to the individual country distributor sites (like X many will go to Newark, Y will go to Farnell in Spain, Z will go to Farnell's Australia site, etc.)  At that point, you'd only be paying for shipping from your local country distributor to you, vs UK to you.

ne7runner said:

ScooterIT said:

Me neither. Just received an email from farnell saying I can now place my pre-order for RasPi. Interesting is fact that farnell price is €39.20 while RS advertises RasPi for €27.43 per unit. I'm wondering where the price difference (over €11) come from. Just wondering now what will be the RS final price including VAT and P&PIs there anyone in here who managed to order RasPi on 29th for RS or already placed pre-order via RS?
BTW, thanks for making it happen!!! Keep up the good job guys and gals!
M.

METZGERR

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:07 pm

The next branch will be available in Mai - grab your chance and win a Raspberry PI at http://www.raspberrymod.com/vi.....&t=26 if you are not among those who were lucky enough to grab one

Return to “Off topic discussion”